Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained  (Read 5109 times)

Description:

Offline dylansmrjo

• Show all replies
Re: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained
« on: December 14, 2005, 04:28:48 AM »
However, it's perfect for the geeks, though basically nothing but a pre-taste. A 10-page article would have been better  ;-)
[color=FF9900]---Copyright is no right---[/color][/b][/i]

Offline dylansmrjo

• Show all replies
Re: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 07:40:41 AM »
Well, it seems he's writing about the solution itself.

I was writing about the length of the article. Whether or not the approach is good is another topic. I merely came with a statement, that a longer article would be better.

EDIT: Better here is in the meaning: Better because it would reveal more of the approach taken. I'd like to get much more detailed information.

Offline dylansmrjo

• Show all replies
@EntilZha - Re: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 07:41:08 PM »
Yeah, I sort of figured I could actually click on links :crazy:

Very interesting reading. I was a bit surprised to see it was based on a technology used (and created) by Sun and used in Linux as well. We are talking major OS'es here - especially on servers.

Perhaps Amiga OS4 developers suffers from grandeur  :lol:

No just kidding. I like it. I really like this.

Offline dylansmrjo

• Show all replies
@ Tigger - the eternal troll
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 07:46:15 PM »
Well, you can always get an microA1 - they are actually available and ships with a pre-release of AOS4.

I've notice you like to flame AOS4, and go ahead. If that makes you life easier, then be my guest.

The rest of us will be pleased to see AOS4 using techniques from the large OS'es rather than an outdated primitive technology which was known to be bad at the time it was implemented.

It's not innovative, but that's not the point. What's interesting is that we get some description of the system, though in a very light edition.

Offline dylansmrjo

• Show all replies
Re: @ Tigger - the eternal troll
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 09:46:13 PM »
If you want to argue this point, please inform me the name of a dealer where I can buy an Amigaone today and get it fedexed to me.

Well, I know of at least 3 dealers in Scandinavia and Northern Europe who are capable of shipping mikroA1. There are however no AmigaOne's but there are mikroA1's to get (at a rather high price due to the unfortunate low production).

I don't know about the situation in USA and I really don't care. Whatever goes on overthere makes no impact on my life.

I flame idiots, you are getting close to playing in fire now, Hyperion is taking a very old Memory management idea and trying to jam it into the Amiga system, its likely to be slower, and not offer alot of benefit. I and others have doubts whether they have actually implemented it in this manner now, and fear this system will break lots of current software.

Well, then you ought to start flaming yourself. The management system is a tad old, but it's fine in many OS'es, and there is no reason it shouldn't work fine in AOS. It is way better than the old system, which resembles the memory management in Win9X way too much.

The old way was wrong even in 1985. It works but so does a Trabant. It doesn't make it a good car, though. Nor is the old system good in any way.

The amount of software for OS4 is minimal and any broken software can easily be repaired, unless it is coded in crappy way. However, nothing seems to indicate it would break anything. You're just trolling as usual.

Why exactly do you believe that the current system is either primative or bad?? Its worked for a long time, and given the way the Amiga works, it definitely had advantages over what Hyperion claims they are doing for OS4.

The old system is bad because it wastes too much memory and is inflexible. As I wrote in the former paragraph it looks a lot like other outdated and long time since replaced systems.

Don't look at AOS4 with your eyes on a 20 year old Amiga. Look at it with your eyes on more modern hardware (though the mikroA1 is using some pretty dated technology - at least the Peg2 is using DDR-RAM).