Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: old timer returns to the A1200 and is now a NEWBIE  (Read 2710 times)

Description:

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
Re: old timer returns to the A1200 and is now a NEWBIE
« on: January 03, 2009, 02:24:59 AM »
First off treat that woman of yours well. Not many a woman would do such a thing. Most would have us dump the Amigas in the trash. So guess what Amiga I left this year? lol!

$150 for 030/50 (I have the Microbitics one)
$8   for 128mb EDO ram (yes this works just fine)
$150 Indivision Flicker Fixer (promotes Amig video to VGA)
$15  Extra A1200 Case
$15  Extra A1200 Keyboard
$25  4 gb SanDisk CFcard and ide-cf adapter
$8   Plastic Vynil Black Die paint (becuase black A1200's are just frigin cool)
$6  PCMCIA to CF card adapter

Got this stuff here and there but have had most of it for a while. For games just Get WHDLOAD via the previously psoted links, get the games too... BUT and register that whload. You can get most Amiga games online as they're classfied abandonware.

The only other thing I want to add is a CD-ROM drive, but  there is a way to mount ISO's from a hard drive or CF card.

The Indivision and the Accelerator are required, If you want to go HOG WILD the next purchase would be a subway usb card that attached to the internal cloclport. This will update your Amiga to near fully modern spec. Well kind of. Today EVERYTHING comes in a USB version... So The ability to plug in an external Keyboard and mouse makes it worth the trouble alone. Not to mention all the USB peripherals that cost nothing next to Amiga equivalents.

The only quibble with the subway is the USB 1 speed but whatcha gonna do.

If you're in europe and have access to a scart connector equipped TV or LCD never mind the indivision, unless you're spending hours on  productive tasks.

If you do serious Amiga stuff... Heck a $150 Weekend computer show Pentium 4 from 2003 will do you fine. Just install AmigaKIT on that and you'll have the equivalent of a $2000 EBAY fully loaded 060 amiga... LOL!

Treat your woman well man, she's a rare breed.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
Re: old timer returns to the A1200 and is now a NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:11:50 AM »
You know I used to think that a FPU card with the 8 megs ram was ok. But they go so high in EBAY (espcially if you're in the USA) that it just made more sense to pay more and get the full speed and ram capabilities of an 030/50. Having 60 meg ram disk is cool..

I've owned most every Amiga, to go beyond the 030, it just doesn't make sense unless your a demo coder, pixel artist, and such.

For ImageFX just use AmigaKIT on a PC with all the old Amiga productivity apps installed, is like having a supercomputer.