Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hate! Hate! Hate!  (Read 9776 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
Hate! Hate! Hate!
« on: May 20, 2009, 12:52:34 PM »
Quote from: easy_john;455308
Troll - ha.
The only troll here is you. If you cant say anithing in topic - is better to just shut up.

I can't see any good reason for changing anything in this site.  Many years site collect information about amiga, and now "we moved forward", but why?

- "no one likes change"? but what the reason for changing?

- "Old stile more good.It's so much complex" - yes, i agree.

speaking about emoticons, but not see how ugly site is now.

I see you have miss the umteenth posting of why.
The version of Xoops the old site was running on used PHP4. PHP5 came out two years ago and PHP4 support has now been offically dropped by the PHP team. They are working of PHP6. Our host is now dropping php4 and will only be offering PHP5 only. The old version of Xoops we used will not run properly under PHP5 and is too old to update to the latest Xoops. We needed to move to someting modern that is PHP compatable. Wayne looked at various options. This one is the only one that allowed us to import all the old forum posts and used accounts from the old Xoops. Wayne is slowly building a new site around vBulletin. With help he was able to bring over PMs from the old datebase and may be able to import the old photo album. Worship Karlos. Be patient. Don't Bitch. Make polite constructive criticism. If there is a feature you would like to see, ask. If it is possible, it will be added to the to do list or explained that is already exists.

Offline Argo

• Show all replies
Re: Hate! Hate! Hate!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:22:41 PM »
Take a look at AROS-EXEC.org. They are running a slighly new version of Xoops than we were running. They are getting hacked, currently are. Some trojan is getting inserted into their pages. Upgrading to a newer version of Xoops as they came out, they would be now be running the newest Xoops on PHP 5. Likely not haveing this issue as the security hole being used would not be there. What happens when there host ends PHP4 support? If they are running on their own colocated server, nothing. They can run whatever they want, but at the mercy of the security holes in PHP4 and the version of Xoops they are running. I don't know what their hosting situation is but I wonder what will happen.
As to PHP, sure the core does stay the same mostly. That doesn't help, unless that is all your software uses. I also moderate on phpwsforums.com, a support forum for phpWebsite CMS. I watched alot of people have issues with one version when hosts started switching to php5 only shortly after php5 was released.  Version 9 of phpWebsite didn't completely stop working. There were three or four commands that were not php5 compatable. Which meant the sites worked but some core feature were broken or didn't work right. Plus you have all the third party addon modules. Some which didn't work at all. Some modules broke when the phpWebsite core was updated to be php5 compatable.
There was also a small issue whe mySQL 5 came out.
Oh, I still know sites out there that still run phpWebsite 8. So, yes some do keep moving to hosts that can support their site. Most of these out of fear of data lost which can happen in upgrading. phpWebsite has gone through two complete rewrites, so upgrading and data migration is not exactly one to one. These phpWebsite version 8 sites do run at a costs. Limited hosting and that version is very easy to hack.