Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC still playing Amiga catchup  (Read 69195 times)

Description:

Offline jkirk

• Show all replies
Re: PC still playing Amiga catchup
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 24, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;513257
I look at the drivers for the hard drive, thanks, I am using MS ones.
check all your drivers particularly your sound, chipset, processor(if available), and vid card. i think the hd will always show up as an ms driver.

the problem with the default drivers(ones on the vista disk) is though they are written by the manufacturer (in some cases) they have to make the driver very generic due to space constraints on the cd(or dvd) as such much of the hardware acceleration is missing(or not working efficiently) so the inital install drivers are just to get you going till you can aquire the real drivers.

HDTV CRT: Geez you would've paid a packet for that new.  I've read the best CRT can still outdo the best plasma/LCD for responsiveness, color balance and sharpness.  Do tell: what model is it?
it's been a while since i bought it but i think i paid $700 for it new wile lcd panels were still $1500 to $2000.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:25:21 PM by jkirk »
The only stupid question is a question not asked.  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline jkirk

• Show all replies
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
Quote from: amigaksi;514068
Okay, great they may have gone back to serial ports, but they did produce machines with parallel ports w/o serial ports.
so what? i never claimed that serial or paralel ports didn't exist anymore-you said serial didn't. what i did say was that the joyport was the easiest to replace and as such is not included in the vast majority on motherboards available. there are some people who like you believe the joyport is the ultimat interface for the pc so they will pay for an adapter to use the joysticks they currently have. despite this the joyport is a dead technology and has been for a loooooong time.(aka i bought a microsoft sidewinder2 force feedback joystick USB circa late 90's and 3 gamepads USB)

AT keyboards with DIN5 are gone for good and they went a long time before joysticks for gameports or gameports.  Joysticks for gameports are still being sold.

you give joyports too much credit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000123&Description=joystick&name=PC%20Game%20Controllers
yep joyports are really dominating. :P

They got rid of the gameport knowing people can still use USB so they had some thought about it but still playing catch-up to Amiga with its superior joystick interface.

/facepalm

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline jkirk

• Show all replies
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
Quote from: amigaksi;514069
No, there's no multitasking needed if application runs going directly to hardware.  Application can take over the timer interrupt that OS is using for multitasking so OS won't be multitasking.  As I stated, see Amiga as an example of a computer that does this.  OS supports multitasking applications but it also supports single tasking applications that can use hardware fully to get the task done most efficiently.

you you want to go back to the dark ages of single tasking huh? let's see how far this gets us today. load ie to browse web. plugins won't work since they are additional tasks. k also while ie is running you can't listen to music since that is not the primary task either. single tasking has not only broken windows but also amiga os,linux, and any other os that employs multitasking. single tasking died a long time ago. i propose we leave it there.

But normally, there's conflict when people have newer versions verses older versions of some software.  I know there some DLLs (for borland C++) where fixing things made some older applications non-functional.
?? we are talking api not programming languages. get back on track.

As I said, there's no multitasking when application takes over hardware but even in multitasking, you can have applications go directly to hardware as long as they know they're the only ones accessing it.  You can corrupt things even using API.  A good application that goes directly to hardware should be able to restore hardware to its normal state.  I do it for parallel ports-- I use them directly and then restore them to the state they were in.
and as i said previously this is a multitasking os environment NOT a single tasking environment. an api allows multiple programs to play nice with the hardware.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:08:50 PM by jkirk »