Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu  (Read 7264 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »
@Haywirepc

Personally I had been willing to give CommodoreUSA a chance to screw up befre I condemned them, but that changed with the personal attacks on both ClusterUK and Phoenixconsole (both of who actually *do* something for the amiga platform and arent all talk). The final icing on the cake was bigbentheaussie, quite proudly pasteing some information in a public forum (aw.net) that ClusterUK had told him, that was meant to be "secret" until that particular project was finished. Now that's not just bad business, but deplorable in general. This was also followed up but some rather baffling attempts to support his actions in that same forum incognito, but it was only half disguised anyway, very much like him wearing a bigbentheaussie suit.

Now as for the actual thread topic, Intel are a very well oiled machine these days, I suspect off the back of AMD giving them a bit of a scare around 2006. These days though theyre pretty much untouchable in the cpu market and credit where it's due, make a hell of a nice cpu. I must question the thread title though,...... Amiga has already had more than it's fair share of playing catch up.... 20 years or so of it, and things are just getting worse day by day. The best it can offer is a yet unrealeased system, who if benchmarks are any indication will struggle to compete with the absolute weakest, most budget cpu (about $30) available. Not to mention the weak ram (in modern terms) subsystem.
Seems absolutely crazy to delay a product for so long that was somewhat weak in the 1st place. 12 months in computer terms is a heck of a long time.

Yes, this is probably a bit negative, but it's disappointing to see what a screw up the NG Amiga has become. Amiga for me represented a nice, friendly system with good creative software and a good price (albiet never completely competitive performance). Sure the OS itself is fast on weak hardware, but the OS alone simply doesnt cut it for those sorts of prices. (I mean heck, even mobile phones can play HD video).

Each to thier own and whatnot, but I think I'll stick to the classics myself. At least they have some nice software, and they dont claim to be modern systems.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
"Scour ebay for old video cards to work with it" seems an odd thing to think for someone whos happy with OS4.x. AROS supports hardware much, much more recent than anything OS4.x supports, and in a more thorough way. AROS supports (2d accelerated) more modern radeon cards than os4, it supports intel gfx (2d accelelerated), and supports hardware accelerated Nvidia cards both in 2d and 3d. And with hardware you can walk into a shop today and buy. Additionally most of the time AROS doesnt work on a PC is due to user fault. To say it works nicely on 50% of current pc gear out there is probably an understatement. I have 4 pcs, all of which aros works fine on (granted none are newer than a 3.86ghz core2duo, but 2 years ago that was one quarter of the price of a Sam system is nowadays that its 10x as powerful as (being kind to the SAM).

Enjoy whatever you like, I have no qualm with that, but some of your sentiments are somewhat pear shaped.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:22:19 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;603760

PC Games are nowhere, it is rare for the AAA titles from 360/PS3/Wii to get onto PC, but yes at present there are a few exceptions even if they run terribly and need 300% more expensive rigs to run on. I bet EA's sales revenue from PC sales is a nat's fart in the grand scheme of things, even compared to Apps Store iPhone game sales.

That's a somewhat exagerated summary. Dead Space(s), Alan Wake, EA Sports games, Dead Rising2, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil(s),Silent Hill(s),GTA series, Saints Row(s), Devil May Cry series (which used to be console exclusive), Street Fighter(s) and many, many others spring to mind, and Im not even a big PC gamer. Also the whole "you need an expensive gaming rig" is a crock. A $500 gaming rig will typically outdo either ps3/xbox360 by a long shot, both in resolution, image quality, and effects. Sure a person can spend more if they want to increase the margin even further, but the console offerings are a little compromised in comparison to what a PC can offer these days.
Sure, pc gaming isnt as dominant as it once was, but it's far from dead, and personally while I like my xbox360 and use it more than my gaming pc, slowly but surely gaming on the pc is becoming more appealing thanks to the considerably better audiovisual experience.

At the end of the day I dont care too much, but the increasing frequency of hearing this sort of garbage makes it hard for me to bite my tongue sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:27:43 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
Yes, a good way to promote your business is by personal attacks. Warranted or not time and time again you show nothing but deplorable actions. You do of course realise do you not that what you write online doesnt vanish once a thread is over and done with ? Just keep digging, youre doing most of us a great service.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »
@Belial6
Sure, what they're hoping to sell is reasonable. The way they represent themselves isnt. A CTO gleefully announcing secrets contained within a private email on a public forum is, as I said earlier, not just bad business, but deplorable behavior (as bigbentheaussie did to clusteruk (a man who actually has done as much as he can for  amiga systems). If you didnt see the thread on aw.net then you may not understand why some people really dislike C-USA, but it wasnt just that "simple" either. He then went on to carry on like a child, half incognito to further insult clusteruk and phoenixconsole. I'll try to rustle up the thread Im talking about, it really was dispicable.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 06:48:24 PM »
Hehe.... the sad thing is that I know Commodore Amiga Iran is supposed to be a joke, and yet I'd be more likely to buy something from them than I would C-USA  :)