Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DiscreetFX Platform Shift  (Read 7933 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: DiscreetFX Platform Shift
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;589463
Does that tell you about the type of people that are abandoning Windows in favour of a Mac?
It only proves to me that Windows Vista and 7 are lousy or at least not what a lot consumers wanted after XP.
It also could suggest that the previous $3000 to $4000 price tag of Macs was offputting.
Now if only we can attract more commercial software to Linux.

Actually, to me it suggests that 1, there's a heck of a lot more competition in the Windows world, 2, there's a lot more piracy in the Windows world, and 3, there's a lot more free options in the Windows world. It in no way, shape, or form reflects the quality of Windows. While there's no denying that Apple has improved its market share, the ratio is still 15:1 (if being generous to Apple). A quick look at any of the graphics centric magazines for sale show how prominant Windows is in this field, as does 90%+ of the uni's that teach these things.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: DiscreetFX Platform Shift
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;589659
I wish we still had thousands who were actually actively using their Amigas, Classic, Next Gen, or Emulation.  I haven't seen any evidence that we have over 1,999 users left who still use their Amiga computers as anything more than a nostalgic hobby, or an interesting diversion from their mainstream computer experiences (which are almost always required for work, or because they can't do everything they need, or want to do on a computer from their Amiga, or Amiga-Like computers), which they turn on more than once a week, or once a month.

I hope, or wish someone can/could prove me wrong and show me that we still have 2,000+, or several thousand Amiga users (all varieties) who still use their Amiga computers for more than the occasional game once or twice a week, or month.  I wish someone could prove to me that we still have over 100 to 200 developers, writing code for the Amiga (all varieties), because we desperately need many new and/or updated applications and it would be nice to get some new games too.

I have 3 desks against my bedroom wall. One Windows machine, one AROS machine and one Amithlon/OS3.9 machine and they all get used roughly equally. Little bit backwards compared to most, but I do most of my coding on AROS or os3.9 (yes, it is probably silly being that they have much weaker tools, but I dont do nearly as much Windows development and I like to develop on the machine Im developing for), most of my graphics on Windows (Amiga has some adequate software for this, but for my tastes nothing to compare to 3DS Max or more recent versions of PSP (sure Photoshop is considered industry standard, but I hate it)). I browse on AROS and Windows equally depending on which machine Im in front of at the time (rarely os3.9 though, 'cos,...err,.. not sure this needs explaining to anyone who's tried browsing on an amiga). Video gets played equally as much on AROS and Windows as well, depending on which machine Im not in front of at the time. As for games, they get played on Amithlon/OS3.9 more than any of the others while Im in my bedroom due to some of the later amiga games being made usually being more interesting to me (unless Im in the mood for a modern game, which happens occasionally, in which case I'll get up off my butt and move to the lounge for some xb360 or pc gaming (have my pc gaming rig in a multimedia case and connected to my main t.v.)..... I could go on and on, but the overall point I guess is that my "amiga" hobby is a lot more than occasionally firing up Lotus Espirit or Supercars, etc.  :-)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.