Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Driver team" for os4?  (Read 3069 times)

Description:

Offline xeron

• Show all replies
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
Re: "Driver team" for os4?
« on: March 11, 2004, 09:55:48 PM »

Why? THere's no useable OS4

Hmmm... thats funny, I could have sworn it was my main OS... I wonder what this operating system Hyperion have given me then? I could have sworn it was AmigaOS 4...

and it isn't on the radar,

The pre-release is coming soon. I know what you probably think of that statement, but this time I think you'll be surprised.

At the current speed it's being developed, coding a driver for new hardware cards now will just means the OS will, when* it's released, support outdated hardware.

I don't know, Davy Wenzler has written some drivers for some pretty damn high-spec sound cards at least.. once again I think you'll be quite surprised.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline xeron

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 02:40:43 PM »

B00tDisk wrote:

I hate to sound trollish, and I'm not trying to be one, but y'know, if a tiny handful of "developers" having something counts as "released",

But you said usable, not released.

What do I think of it?  I wish it were true.  But it sounds like "TWO...WEEKS!" and "B I G!", etc.

I knew thats exactly what you'd think of it, but on my desk at home there is a CD labeled "OS4 beta installer", which is the first revision of the ISO installer for OS4 on the A1. All the major problems of that version are pretty much fixed. I really can't see it taking all that much longer for  the pre-release CD to get finalised.

(Incidentally, no, I'm not a Morph-OS fan by any stretch of the imagination...)

I never said, or thought, you were. I didn't assume you belonged to any "camp".

Offline xeron

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 04:07:15 PM »

I seem to recall someone (maybe here, maybe at Amigaworld.net) saying "They're testing the CD for release now!" about two or three months ago.  I just can't get my head around why it could possibly take that damned long to release the thing.  

Well, don't believe me. Thats fine. It just means the pleasant surprise will be that little bit more pleasant and surprising for you ;-)

Being critical of Hyperion's feet dragging is a sure way to mark oneself for the snipers 'round the Amiga world, though, you must admit! ;)

heh.. being critical of the delays of OS4 doesn't mean you don't want OS4... as Mr. Spock would say, "that is, illogical" :-D