Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi, New to the Amiga with 2000  (Read 2176 times)

Description:

Offline Darklight

• Show all replies
Re: Hi, New to the Amiga with 2000
« on: July 18, 2005, 03:32:06 AM »
Well, welcome to amiga.org  :-)

The Amiga 2000 is a great machine, I've got a couple of them.  Even though they're one of the oldest models, they're still a great machine.  Just so we can help you, what actually happens when you turn it on?  Do you get a white screen with a hand on it, or a purple screen with a disk being inserted to a floppy drive, or does the screen just stay black?  Workbench is the OS for Amiga computers, and so you've got the OS disk, and the install disk.  Obviously you've worked out the basics of what you're trying to do, as you've tried to partition it.  Is the drive detected when you use HDToolbox?  If it is, well then it could be a SCSI problem (termination, etc).  Also, does your Adspeed have an IDE controller?  If it does, you could just add an IDE drive and ignore the whole SCSI problem.    

Offline Darklight

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 03:52:48 AM »
Yeah, that should be it, as far as I remember, the CPU on the 2000 sits underneath the drive bays, here, check out this.  That's the standard Adspeed, this is the Adspeed with an IDE controller.  Also, you've got Kickstart 2.0 (that's the one with the purple screen).  Try holding down both mouse buttons when you turn it on, and see if the HD is listed in the "Early Boot Menu".

Offline Darklight

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 04:03:42 AM »
Well, they're not too hard to come by, but they're not very common either.  Some go on ebay every now and then, check there.  Also, what SCSI card are you using?  If it's a Commodore 2091, check what Rom revisions are on it (they're on stickers, it should say something like "390722-02 (Copyright Symbol) 1991 CBM V6.6 F929" - what follows V on your card? (assuming it is a Commodore 2091).  Also, what size HD are you trying to get running?

Offline Darklight

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 04:45:30 AM »
Ouch, bad luck  :-(  SCSI controllers that are bootable are quite common though, you should be able to pick up a 2091 or a GVP SCSI card quite easily, and quite cheaply on ebay.  Just to make sure, is this the same as your card?  Here

Offline Darklight

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 05:05:07 AM »
Yep, looks like you've got a 2090, sorry  :-( .  Your options are to either track down a new SCSI card (either a 2091 w/ 6.6 or 7.0 roms), or a GVP or other card that supports Autobooting, or to get an IDE controller.  I would recommend getting a new SCSI card, adding a 500mb - 1gb HD to it, and using that for your OS, and whatever else you want, then getting an IDE controller that you use for games, etc, and your CD-Rom.  

Offline Darklight

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 05:09:58 AM »
Yes, you need to make sure that whichever one you get actually has an IDE controller, and not a Mitsumi controller - they look the same, but they're quite different, and only devices that support Mitsumi controller will work on them.  Quite often they're labelled as "CD-Rom Controllers" whilst real IDE ones are labelled as IDE.  There are many different ones though.  Basically, check out The Big Book of Amiga Hardware before you buy any Amiga stuff, to make sure it's exactly what you want.  I think you'll find it much easier to pick up an old SCSI card though.  IDE is obviously easier to find devices for, but you may have problems finding the controllers.  Have a look around though  :-)

Offline Darklight

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 05:33:08 AM »
Well, I've gotten my A2091 working with an HD, 12x CD-Rom and external SCSI Zip drive, so if you're not planning to upgrade the processor too much, I think the 2091 is a good choice, but try and find one with 6.0 or 6.6 roms, 7.0 is the best.

Offline Darklight

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 06:33:15 AM »
$75 US?  I don't know.  That's probably alright, considering the 7.0 roms are fairly hard to find.  If it's $75 AUD, well then yeah, that's not too bad, but you could probably find a GVP or something a little cheaper.