Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Os 3.1.4 - List of bug fixes and changes by component  (Read 89653 times)

Description:

Offline NinjaCyborg

Re: Os 3.1.4 - List of bug fixes and changes by component
« on: October 15, 2018, 05:35:56 PM »
Does SuperFloppy mode also work with FAT formatted USB sticks, ZIP drives, memory cards and so on (assuming one has a USB stack or whatever)?

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:13:50 PM »
I'n a bit rusty on my shell power usage but I recall IN: and OUT: being options I used to use in OS2 and 3, not sure if they were part of WShell or provided by the Andy Finkel Pipe implementation, or one of the other shell alternatives.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:28:28 AM »
If you can't move the mouse off the screen, then there's no way you can ever move a window's title bar gadget completely off the screen, so it's not an issue, unless using that chap's app where he lets you drag from anywhere in the window then it could be. On Windows you have windows that can be dragged and resized in many different ways like keyboard shortcuts and resizable borders.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »
if the +s bit is set on those scripts then the execute is implicit, no?

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
Datatypes: There is a new datatypes library...

Two questions about data types:

Are the Save methods implemented, which would allow rudimentary file format conversion?

Is progressive loading from stream inputs enabled for bitmaps, which would make them more suitable for use in a web browser type application?

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 07:03:11 PM »
Are the Save methods implemented, which would allow rudimentary file format conversion?
The picture.datatype supports DTM_WRITE, and so do the sound and the animation.datatype.

Thanks but what I mean is do the sub types support it, for example Multiview has a Save menu, which by and large does nothing. It would be nice if you could load a file in ILBM format into Multiview and then save it out as PNG for example or vice versa, assuming save method was properly supported. Multiview would need some way of picking the target format from the list of compatible types too. This for me always seems like one of the features Commodore weren't able to finish what they intended, and while DefIcons picked up the slack of integrating datatypes with Workbench, I'd love to see this feature "finished".

As for progressive loading, datatypes should in theory allow creation from both a file handle, and a memory buffer, but the buffer needed to be fully populated already, datatypes couldn't provide partial renders based on progressive population of the buffer from say, and http stream, making it impossible for web browsers to progressively display jpegs, for example, decoding them line by line. Admittedly, that's less of an issue now in 2018 that everyone has megabit connectivity and images generally download instantly. I'm not familiar with OS4, but did they ever implement that capability?

By the way I used to work at Symbian, and we had a technology that allowed instantaneous blitting of compressed JPG and PNG files to the display, so you didn't need to store the uncompressed bitmap in ram before transferring it to the screen buffer. It would be decompressed at copy time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 07:13:27 PM by NinjaCyborg »

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »
It's a shame, as that would have allowed for multiview to work as a basic file conversion tool. Everything to ILBM one way conversion is only useful for stuff like using any image type as a wallpaper or window decoration.

The other bit of datatypes 'never finished' was the ability to specify the default tools for each of the different methods - one for each of "misc", "info", "browse", "edit", "print" or "mail" - the function is there in the library to retrieve the tool (e.g. the Rexx host FINDTOOL method) but there's nowhere for the user to configure it in the first place. An easy way would be to have tooltypes in either the def_<type>.info file or in the DataTypes Descriptor. Then Workbench could have been able to support choosing an action other than 'Open using default tool'. This was all stuff alluded to in the 3.1 NDK as being planned for 3.2 but never finished after C= closed down.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 08:35:39 PM »
Use the updateto314.lha script on Aminet from Gulliver, it does a 'transplant' of the new bits of 3.1.4 without reinstalling. You can see what it's going to do, and modify it if you need, because it's a shell script. Mostly it's just copying stuff over the top, except where there's a good reason to keep the 3.9 version.

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 08:55:23 AM »
It will update a 3.1 OK. 3.9 is a bit of a mess of a product.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
Please ignore him Thomas. I only joined this board a month ago and already I can tell he's a moron.

Please continue to post your insider's knowhow. As an OS internals geek I crave your insights.

The following users thanked this post: Tygre

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
Dear Thomas please continue your notes, and ignore the trolls. Much much thanks to you for your hard work and contributions over many years.

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
Great stuff thanks Thomas. So for a USB memory stick or memory card formatted FAT for portability, and assuming you have a USB stack, what's the best way to treat that like a superfloppy without creating individual mountlists for every stick you have?

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »
But will that work if I unplug it, then change it for a different one? Or put two at the same time, in different USB sockets, both of which would therefore be "C" drive assuming one partition per stick?

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »
Jesus christ Kolla eff off please. Go find another platform to harass people about, preferably Atari ST users.

The following users thanked this post: Tygre, klx300r

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 07:37:43 AM »
(2) on your list is already possible with IconX or project icons and default tools.