Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows fudges it again  (Read 6171 times)

Description:

Offline Fats

• Show all replies
Re: Windows fudges it again
« on: November 27, 2010, 02:07:55 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;594621
NASA sends humans into space.  They need state of the art technology.

What NASA needs is anything but state-of-the-art. For mission critical projects they will only use parts that are made with a stable process and that has proven their reliability over time. They won't use the latest, greatest multi-core CPU.

Quote from: Arkhan;594621
If I were an astronaut and I saw a C64 w/ cables and shit hanging out of the back as the device responsible for sending me hurtling through the atmosphere, I would quit my job immediately.

AFAIK you are not an astronaut so you won't need to quit. When you would be an astronaut you would know that you have to use the equipment they provide to you and that it would be tested in-depth to be sure it fulfills the military specs.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Fats

• Show all replies
Re: Windows fudges it again
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;594760
You ever been in their research labs and crap?  They're not exactly using vintage equipment...some of it may be a few years old, but its still "new".

Alot of the things done at NASA are using state of the art gear.  Maybe the probes aren't, but a tonnnnnnnnnn of stuff is.  Go there and see for yourself, they give frigging tours of some of the research places ffs.

I was talking about the stuff they send into space not the compute equipment on the ground, e.g. the stuff an astronaut has to work with. For the latter they use the most cost effective, e.g. state-of-the-art equipment.

I live in Europe and did not have much contact with NASA. I am doing radiation hardened chip design for ESA (the European counterpart) though. We use 0.18um technology, not really state-of-the-art.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing