Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My evening with Commodore USA, LLC  (Read 40316 times)

Description:

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
Re: My evening with Commodore USA, LLC
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 10, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;614407

...your nonsense...
...your who developed Amiga stupidity...
...your comments were so stupid and nitpicky...

First of all: Thank you for your kind words.
It's always refreshing to receive namecalling from someone running out of arguments...

OS4 on an amiga 4000 ppc runs on the ppc, amigas are 68k machines, commodore never released a ppc machine, so os4 runs on a non-commodore, non-amiga, component slapped onto the side of your cpu.

This doesn't remotedly answer my question, which was "Hmmmm - so you're saying my Amiga 4000 with 68060 cpu and PPC604e cpu isn't real?", IIRC.

I'm very well aware that OS 4.x runs on the PPC, once it was started by the 68k cpu and that commodore never released a ppc machine. I also know that the CyberstormPPC is a "non-commodore" product from Phase5 for Amigas 3k/4k. Or can you name annother computer brand that could use them?

My Amiga 4000 was manufactured by Commodore and expanded by me with an add-on by Phase5 for Amiga computers.

Are you trying to imply that my A4k isn't an Amiga any longer, because I expanded it with the CSPPC?

If so - and if I follow this logic - then my good old Ford Sierra XR4i wasn't any longer a Ford Sierra XR4i, just because I put better looking 3rd party rims and Recaro seats on it, as well as an Pioneer high end stereo equipment and an Bosch ultra sonic alarm system?

If I ran Windows on a bridgeboard in an Amiga 3000 does that mean that Amiga's run Windows?

As long as they are expanded with an bridgeboard, of course - yes.

I already did that back in 1989 on my A500 - initially with PCtask, later I expanded it with the Vortex ATonce286 classic. And the A500 still was an A500 - but an expanded one.

As for your who developed Amiga stupidity, no Amiga did not originate with Commodore, but 99 percent of the development,

According to my dictionary the "development" was 100% done by "Amiga Corporation", aka "Hi-Toro".
All subsequent "advancements" or "enhancements" have been done by Commodore until they went belly up in 1994.

including ALL of the actual computer models

Not sure what you mean with "actual computer models", as Commodore produced its last Amiga models back in 1994.
I would regard the SAM or the A1 X1k (if already was available) as "actual computer models".

and ALL of the OS releases[ -] except for 3.5,[ ]3.9, Aros, MOS, and OS4 [- ]were by Commodore.

(content in square brackets added by me for better readability)

I fully agree with you here.

I know the history of Amiga as well as you, but I'm not quite as pedantic.

I'm sorry if I came across as "pedantic" - maybe I have some semantic problems due to not being a native English speaker.

So it came that I had to use a dictionary sometimes and - as I stated above - my dictonary revealed that there is a difference in meanings between "development" and "advancement or enhancement".

I just tried to word myself as precise as possible to avoid being misunderstood.
If that qualifies me as being "pedantic" then be it...

The rest of your comments were so stupid and nitpicky I won't even comment on them.

Again:
Thank you for your kind words.
It's always refreshing to receive namecalling from someone running out of arguments...

EDIT:
Fixed quoting
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:16:34 PM by Dandy »
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;614390
I guess that depends on whether Barry:

1) Doesn't give a crap about the existing Amiga community(s) and has his eye on selling to a much larger audience

or

2) Is so clued into the Amiga community and specifically the OS4 scene that he is even now conniving to steal away the dozen or so people who plan to buy an X1000.

Now, I don't have much of a business background but I do know how to make money, and I suspect Barry does too. Which is more profitable do you think, 1 or 2?

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective - please see my reply #375 to Persia.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;614623

Okay, let's examine your post #375.
According to Redrumola, all he said was he contacted A-eon/Hyperion about working with them, and decided that due to the unknown completion of the X1000 project that he would prefer to proceed without them.

I was referring to this statement Red made on behalf of Barry:
... The X1000/OS4 project ... is not a viable option because there is no product near completion and doesn't look like it will be any time soon. ...

I read it that way, that the X1000/OS4 project isn't "near completion and doesn't look like it will be any time soon" - but I just noticed that he could also have meant it this way: It "doesn't look like it will be any time soon" "a viable option ".

In case it was meant the latter way, I initially misunderstood him.
The way I read it initially seemed to imply he found out something being in strong contradiction to what AEon stated publically so far regarding the state of the A1 X1k project.

Had he worded it this way ... The X1000/OS4 project ... is not a viable option and doesn't look like it will be any time soon because there is no product near completion. ...
I wouldn't have read it the other way initially.

I assumed that a prooven businessman choses his words carefully when talking about his business to avoid such misinterpretations - and so I suspected him to have it intentionally worded this way to create uncertainty and confusion - but that's possibly just me (because not being a native English speaker)...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;614636

I see where you're coming from now, but I think you're reading too much into it.

Yeah - I simply stumbled across the language barrier and mis-read it.

Apparently Barry thought there was some viability to a collaboration or he wouldn't have contacted A-eon/Hyperion. It's not difficult to believe that CUSA's schedule and A-eon's schedule don't intersect.

Now this is more obvious - sorry for the confusion.

Besides, what CUSA product would these people waiting on the X1000 jump ship to? The CUSA waiting line?

Well, I can only speak for myself.
And when I read that a new Comodore incarnation would want to take the Amiga platform to a new level I felt a mix of unbelieving amazement and pleasant anticipation initially. But this was replaced by disappointment when I read that their new hardware would be a bog standard x86-PC mobo in a re-created all-in-one classic case, meant to run an Amiga-like skinned Linux derivate - mostly for gaming purposes (WHD load) - which would presumably not be able to run native 68k apps.

As I'm not interested in gaming, but in CAE/CAD/CAM/robotics/CNC and all sort of engineering tools in general, I lost all initial hope of ever being able to run my old 68k Amiga apps covering these fields (which are still fully usable in 2011, b.t.w.) on their new systems.

Furthermore I moved from my trusty, old A500 to the A4kPPC in a BigTower because of the better expandibility as soon as I could afford it. Although I had expanded the A500 to the limit I had need for more expandability.

As I doubted that any of C=USAs new devices could offer me this expandability, I realised that I don't belong to their target group.

Basically I don't mind the idea to run the Amiga OS on x86 systems because of their prices and availability, as long as that means I can still use my old native 68k CAE/CAD/CAM/robotics/CNC-apps and all my old 68k engineering tools, which have cost a fortune back in the day (e.g. 2.500 DM just for DynaCADD).

As I would need those apps only for hobby purpose today (e.g. to design and build an steam operated H0 scale steam locomotive that can be remote controlled from the Miggy on a model railway), I don't like the idea of having to spend a fortune again on buying Linux equivalents for all the engineering tools I already have on 68k. Even without that I still would have to spend enough cash on the required CNC machines, when it comes to the realisation of the project.

As far as DynaCADD is concerned, I already contacted the author and asked him if he sees a possibility for a native OS4 port and he answered yes...

Furthermore the announced capabilities of the A1 X1k of controlling hardware, DSP functions, robotics, display might come in very handy for the project - so I'm really looking forward to learn what that XENA is all about and if/how the project could benefit from it.
The estimated 2000€ for that box would still be less expensive than buying all the engineering tools for Linux...

So I wish C=USA luck for their nostalgic x86-Linux gaming boxes in all-in-one retro cases - unfortunately I doubt I will have any use for them.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;614639

@Dandy

I think this is a simple misunderstanding on your part.

Yes.
Fortunatedly jorkany was patient enough with me to make me aware of my misunderstanding.

I want to in no way criticise your English skills (I struggle enough with German, though I don't give up my coloquitur often does),

Then all the best for your German skills...
;-)

but as a native English speaker I found no hint of negativity towards the x1000 only that it wasn't suitable for the C=USA needs.

Yeah - once I knew how to read it my concern vanished into thin air...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:25 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;614699

I don't know why you would think that.  CUSA's machines will certainly be able to run 68k code.  They will do it the same way that any of the PPC Amiga solutions would run it, via emulation.  PPC processors do not run 68k code natively any more than an x86.  CUSA has stated that they have the rights to distribute the original Kickstarts and Workbenches, and that they will be integrating UAE into their distribution.  This means that all of your existing 68k applications should work just as well on a CUSA system as on an OS4 or MorphOS system.

Hmmmm - I have to admit that once I lost interest in their products, I didn't follow their annoucements closely any longer and just read what I stumbled across on the fora.

Initially it looked like they wanted to put AROS on their machines besides Linux, but then I read that this would be not viable because of legal reasons.

But AFAIK, even AROS does not run native 68k apps without having them re-compiled.
And currently there is no hint that the apps I need are going to be re-compiled anytime, as they mostly have been discontinued a loooong time ago.

So I assumed the C=USA systems just ran Linux. Of course one can install UAE and emulate a classic environment that way, but this is not the way OS4 does it. While UAE emulates the entire classic hardware, OS4 just emulates the API. That's quite a difference to me - at least technically.

And practically as well - hardware banging stuff won't work any longer.

I'm fully aware that "PPC processors do not run 68k code natively any more than an x86" - but that's not what I said.

Instead I said: "as long as that means I can still use my old native 68k ... apps" - I did not say that I wanted to run my old 68k apps natively on the PPC.

Anyhow - even if I could really run native 68k soft on CUSA systems, I would still have the issue of the all-in-one cases obviously not being as expandable as the A1 X1k cases.

And expandability is what I need for my projects.

Furthermore I already hinted that XENA might come in very handy for my project.
On C=USA systems I'd have to add an external solution, while the X1000 has that built-in.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
Quote from: Franko;614719

Hi Smerf

:lol:

Yup back in the old days if you had a 10 megabyte hard dick it was thought of as being huge but if you had 20 megabyte one you were called Errol Flynn... :)

Franko

Hi Franko,

Not wanting to brag about size here - but back in the old days I had two 65 mB RLL harddisks connected to my A500 via Omti RLL controller and 'ct-interface - just curious how that would have been called...
 :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:04:11 AM by Dandy »
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
Quote from: Franko;614719

Hi Smerf

Yup back in the old days if you had a 10 megabyte hard dick it was thought of as being huge but if you had 20 megabyte one you were called Errol Flynn... :)

Franko

Hi Franko,

Not wanting to brag about size here - but back in the old days I had two 65 mB RLL harddisks connected to my A500 via Omti RLL controller and 'ct-interface - just curious how that would have been called...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;614807

@Dandy

FWIW AROS 68k can run original amiga apps, that's the point of AROS :)

Now you confuse me - AROS 68k???

I thought AROS was for x86 architecture?

Why would I want to run an 68k version of AROS on an 68k machine, that runs 68k apps anyway?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
Quote from: Franko;614811

Hi Dandy

Well if you had two of them then I reckon "Circus Show Freak" or "The Elephant Man" would have been appropriate... :)

Quote from: Franko;614811

(I remember paying £459 for my 120MB HD for my old A1500... :eek:)

Mine was a do-it-yourself solution. IIRC, I payed somewhat around 60 DM for the 'ct-interface, that provided one PC_XT slot to fit the OMTI RLL controller into (which I got for free when dismantling an old PC), where I could connect two RLL drives to (I got two 65 mB drives for free from a friend who had no longer use for this old stuff).

Annother friend had a nice external case for two 5 1/4" devices that he no longer had use for and donated it to me.

This case provided enough space to fit the OMTI RLL in it, as well as the interior equipment of an PC PSU. That way I got rid of the original A500 PSU.
Looked quite professional.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »
Quote from: Belial6;614699

CUSA's machines

Wow - up to now I didn't know CUSA have their own St. Nicholas...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me