Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC still playing Amiga catchup  (Read 69484 times)

Description:

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
PC still playing Amiga catchup
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:26:49 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;456741

And those who think that Amigas will somehow rise from the ashes to once again surpass the capabilities of PCs need to seek professional help/therapy.

Hmmmmmm - if someone had told me in early 1989 that about half a year later the wall would fall without a single drop of blood being spilled I'd have given him the very same advice.

You know - all my life I was hoping that the wall would fall one day - but noone (including me) really believed it...

(Just to say: Never say never!)
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
PC still playing Amiga catchup
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;456788

The Amiga as we all know and love it is long dead as a serious platform. CBM saw to that back in the early 90's.

Hmmmm - how do you define "a serious platform"?
Unix workstations?
Wintel PCs?
Playstations or Wiis?

My POV in this regard is that Unix workstations and Wintel PCs (basically) are professional systems that companies need to get their work done. That's what I'd call "a serious platform".

But since more and more people bought Wintel PCs for their homes (fully understandable, as they needed compatible systems where they could continue to work on their job-related projects at home), they laid the foundation stone for todays quasi monopoly position of the WIntel platform by helping to pay the development costs of that platform that initially aimed at companies.

Playstations and Wiis exist to attract all the gaming kids to pull the money out of their pockets - I see them as "gaming platforms".

For me personally the Amiga platform represents the long forgotten "home computer".
I can't estimate if there is a chance today to "revive" the concept of "home computers".
It would require a powerful, cheap hardware (in the C64/Atari/Amiga-tradition) and a smart OS like AmigaOS 4.x - and most importantly it would have to provide full compatibility to the predominant office apps from the professional camp - be it that it just supports their formats, or that it offers a way to run that professional soft.
On the other hand - who wants to enhance a "home computing" platform today in that way that it's capable to do all the office stuff PLUS what people like to do at home - who has the money for it, given that the "professional systems" of today already underprice the "home computers" from back in the eighties by far and have long surpassed even the capabilities of the most promising of those "home computer" platforms - the Amiga?

Yes - the AmigaOS is by far better understandable and more clearly arranged than Windows from a users POV - but does this weigh out the enormous effort it would require to "revive" the concept of "home computers"?

I don't know...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)