Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained  (Read 5105 times)

Description:

Offline Plaz

Re: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:26:13 PM »
For the technoids who would like that 10+ page explanation, read here.... Slab Allocator - Sun Systems

This isn't even good english. The sentence doesn't make sense? "was pretty simple"? WHAT was pretty simple?

It may seem a bit of a "run-on", but legal. Dissecting you find that "the system" was pretty simple. I can see how it could be a tough read though.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 07:55:25 PM »
and please inform us all about the first time you knew you were using a slab memory system, and why you think its a great and innovative system for use in OS4.

Oh man, I hate that. A pop quiz.
I guess it's inovative that OS4 will include it when it hasn't before? But since (as you mention) it's a model that's being used in other OS's, it's not really new. I also notice from my reading that red hat implements slab in concert with MMU and a zoned buddy allocator. Since OS4 doesn't have these extra components at it's disposal, could it be called innovative when they get it to work without an MMU? Go easy please. I'm no expert, just musing through the data and try to make some sence.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 03:10:02 AM »
Are you saying OS4 doesn't use the MMU? Why not?

No, I didn't. I just asked an obscure (and facecious) newbie question about using slab without MMU since the Hyperion article didn't mention the MMU as part of their article. I know MMU has been around for ages, but I don't pretend to know much about it's "theory of operation". I do need to be careful about my dry humor.

Plaz