Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiganauts rave over Matrox G1000  (Read 4808 times)

Description:

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
Re: Amiganauts rave over Matrox G1000
« on: May 10, 2002, 10:41:35 PM »
Heh, I thought that Ben shouldn't have posted those comments quite yet because nothing has been announced. You would think that a comment in a flamefest on ANN would not get picked up, but it did!

Yeah...That was the first thing I thought when Ben made the comment on Ann, but I figured it would blow past and any forthcoming announcements would be made without someone bringing attention to it.  Hope this don't cause him any problems or setbacks, as everyone seems to be quoting him on their web sites.

I don't know how much (if any or all) of the "hoax" specs are accurate, but if Matrox have a card that is comparable to or better than a top of the line GeForce, then I'll be happy.   And you know, Ben is right.  A couple of years ago 3Dfx was "King of the Hill".  Games were constantly geared towards their hardware.  Now nobody even recognizes 3Dfx (as they were bought out by nVidia)  Matrox or ATI could very well come up with "The Next Big Thing"(tm).
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 11:16:59 PM »
Ati have almost caught up with there radeon cards so theres always a chance that matrox can catch up or beat them nvidia cards are not the best graphics quality anyway. what happend to the days when a computer was bought and nothing was thought a bout graphics and processor speed.

Yeah the 8500 series Radeon cards are close in performance to the Geforce 3 range.  But debates are (and always will be) around as to which one is actually better.  I did buy a Geforce3 Ti200 for my PC at Christmas, just for the driver support and games compatability.  Wish now I had just got the Radeon 8500.  

As for computer and graphics speed, you are right, times have changed and so has the way we use our systems.  For general purpose use, those things don't matter as much.  But for playing the latest and greatest games, watching DVD movies and such,  it matters alot (especially on a PC)  The more powerful the hardware, the more impressive software you will see.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2002, 02:12:45 AM »
http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=65046650

Either way, Matrox and BitBoys are my favorite 3D companies. :)

Ummm... Just went to the Matrox website and then to their forums.  It is VERY MUCH a real product.  The moderator there is talking about it as well (there are several threads for "G1000")  This is his reply to a couple of the questions (so maybe Ben was not too hasty with his info!) :

Haig,when will we see some benches from the new card?

I think once we announce our product or once the editors start posting their benchmarks, we'll do the same.

so some editorial sites already have the card then, or soon?

I think some do along with some devlopers have them as well.

------------------
Haig
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Manager

He also said that the official name will not be something to be confused with the "older line of cards" but would be a single word, which is also the name of the chip.  We can probably deduct from that statement that the official name will be "Parhelia"

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2002, 03:21:26 PM »
600Mhz CPU?  Gee, what do we know will be at least that?

That caught my eye also.  That is "minimum" , but anyways confirms that A1 will have what is required to run the card.  However, I am still concerned that such a high powered card would need AGP 4X to achieve it's full potential.  But at least it sounds as though there will be a couple of choices for those who want to pick and choose.  ;)

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2002, 04:30:46 PM »
Well when he says 600mhz minimum he is probably talking about the wimpiest of cpus like Celron and Duron. A G3 is much faster cycle for cycle than a Celron.

Yeah, I agree completely.  But just as a measure of saying it meets the required "600Mhz".  I'm sure the G3 will perform just fine at 600Mhz.