Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ordered my AmigaOne X5000 from Amiga On The Lake in USA  (Read 2407 times)

Description:

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
Re: Ordered my AmigaOne X5000 from Amiga On The Lake in USA
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:19:20 PM »
I am seriously looking at the X5000 and ordering one from AmigaOnTheLake.  A couple of general questions... I grew up a Commodore guy, and I still have several C64's, but I never owned an Amiga.  I have played a bit with emulation over the years, and own many releases of Amiga Forever.  So, to my questions from a non-Amiga guy....

First, how is AmigaOS on the X5000?  I believe it is still pre-release, but it looks like it must be working fairly well now....

Second, and one more generic..... for someone that has never owned a next gen Amiga... what software do people run on OS4.1?  If I buy one, I would love to know what I can use the machine for.  They are expensive, but they look like a lot of fun... anyway... I think that is it for now!

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 11:18:06 PM »
Number 1 Lurker award!  I love it!  :).

Yes, I have been keeping an eye on the Amiga scene for a while... but the last time I became interested in buying one, you couldn't find anything.... the X1000's were drying up (and VERY, VERY expensive), and the AmigaOne 500 line and associated boards were not for sale.....

I think I will pull the trigger and buy one.  It seems like a ton of fun, a way to get back into retro computing without dealing with really old hardware (I have enough of that with my other Commodore machines), plus it seems like SOME modern abilities exist, like at least a decent browser, etc.

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
Well, I did it... I ordered my X5000.  Now I wait!

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 09:22:29 PM »
I am west as well... Utah to be exact.... I guess we will see!  We can compare notes once we get them!  :)

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 10:42:30 PM »
@eliyahu

Thanks for the welcome and the information!  I am sure I will be asking lots of questions when I get my machine!

Thanks to everyone else who has posted as well!  I know I jumped on AmigaSociety's post.. :)

I am looking forward to using a real machine, and not relying on emulation!

-Slygon

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 12:54:40 PM »
Yep,

I am waiting for mine too... I also contacted them yesterday and was told that they should ship today.  I am very excited!

I have been patient with Amiga on the Lake... it is a hobby business, the owner has another real business that is more important to his livelihood... and he has been very great to work with.  He also had a few delays on receiving the AmigaOS registration cards..

That doesn't mean I am not anxious to get my machine!  If it does indeed ship today, I will be out of town when it arrives... luckily I have someone watching my house, so I am not worried about the delivery, just that I won't get to use it until I get home... which will be January 1st!  Be something fun to use when I return!

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 02:48:52 AM »
@amigasociety

I have my tracking number too!  Same thing... the 30th.... and I agree, I hope UPS takes care of it as it moves across the country!

I won't be home until Sunday, so I expect to hear how your experience is before I get a chance to play with mine!  I haven't been this excited about a computer in a while....

I have a lot to learn on the Amiga.... I just have no real direct knowledge of them.... I went right from the Commodore 64 to PC then Mac... skipped Amiga completely....... always wanted one..... now I will!

-Slygon

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 11:25:09 PM »
My AmigaOne X5000 arrived!  It was delivered on the 30th, just as the tracking stated.  

I was out of town until last night, and now I seem to have caught a nasty cold.... so I haven't even turned it on yet!  I just barely unpacked it, everything looks fine, I hope to at least give it a "First Boot" later this evening.  I am usually much more excited about stuff like this.... but this cold is kicking my butt!

@Amigasociety - Did you get yours?  How is everything working for you?

- Slygon

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 01:52:19 AM »
Quick update:  I have my X5000 plugged in and running!  I am using it to type this post!  I have a LOT to learn... never really been an Amiga user.... as I have stated earlier, I have just used emulators etc... but it works!

Of course... I found out that these things don't like KVM switches.... at least not the the one I have.... so it is off to buy a new monitor and speakers for it tomorrow...

-Slygon

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 04:32:53 AM »
I will have to test the network issue tomorrow.  When I fired up the system, I did not have network support.  I figured out how to add it, and it worked fine. I then went and tried the amiupdate tool, and the system crashed.... So I just turned it off...I will see if everything works when I fire it back up tomorrow!

@Amigasociety, sorry you had damage issues... my box was a bit beat up, but everything inside was fine.  I did unseat all of the cards and put them back in before I powered it on... I have shipped too many tower computers in my day to know that they don't like to be shipped..... my cables were all fine though... I did check them to be sure....

-Slygon

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 02:20:51 AM »
OK, I wanted to update everyone.  My network card that shipped with my X5000 seems to work just fine.... I have not had any issues... at least in the VERY limited use I have had with the machine.... I can shut it off, reboot, everything, and networking comes back up.

Now, I just need to learn how to actually use it.... once I sit down for more than 10 minutes at a time, I plan to try a clean install of the OS, just for fun, and then try to learn a few things...

How is everything else working on yours @Amigasociety?  

-Slygon (Eric)

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 02:00:34 AM »
@Amigasociety

Did you do a clean install of AmigaOS, or leave it the way it was from AOTL?  Also, is there any reason to install the official Update 1?  It obviously just came out.... but it sounds like there is nothing new in it for X5000 users.... but I know our OS is considered a Pre-Release.....

Now I need to figure out what browser to use.... The two default ones are fairly old.... I know new ones exist..... now I need to find them.....

-Slygon

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 02:52:06 AM »
Thanks klx300r!  I will look for the Odyssey browser!

-Slygon

Offline slygon

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback!

I will do a clean install today... I like to know how everything works... That is usually a good first step... If I remember correctly... nothing too weird about installing OS 4.1... but then again, I have only ever tried on an emulator...... I guess I will see how this goes!

I know Amigasociety had shipping damage.... which is never fun.... and a bad network card (I think he is correct... these things are probably super cheap with poor quality control... hopefully we can use the onboard networking someday soon....) but I have had an overall great experience with Amiga On The Lake.  I always hate shipping tower computers.... I would almost prefer to get the kit sent to me in parts, and I build it.... I think it is safer....

As for the splash screen, the initial boot screen does have a nice AmigaOne X5000 logo on it... but the OS screen (until you change it) does still have the pre-release designation.... that is why I was wondering if we needed to update... but it sounds like that is not only not needed, but it won't work anyway as our X5000 build is still a bit unique.

Thanks again!

-Slygon