Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: REQ: Someone Mass-Produce Scandoubler/Flicker Fixers  (Read 4669 times)

Description:

Offline Cefa

• Show all replies
Re: REQ: Someone Mass-Produce Scandoubler/Flicker Fixers
« on: October 09, 2005, 01:00:31 AM »
The problem with getting hold of the chips seems to be the most problematic:( They arent cheap if you only want like 100+

I was thinking that maybe one could do a software scandoubler flickerfixer. Begause the rgb port of the Amiga outputs digital color signal. Maybe one could do a pci card that takes this colors and saves then i a buffer and then you write a scandoubler flickerfixer that takes the buffer and display them on your PC monitor. This would maybe be the chepeast way (most people already has a PC) but one would have to have a pc,mac, Aos4 or Pegasos computer besides your Amiga.

This is what most video card do. But video cards mostly takes composite signal which gives rise to signal degradation. And the digital analog conversion from tv video card also degrades the signal.

With a software one could do whatever you wanted with the signal. Most of the source code one could take from Mplayer or vlc.

Cheers

Offline Cefa

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 04:22:01 AM »
Yeah but wont those chip have the 8:4:4 problem?? CV64 scan doubler has that problem to (i think). Also you need to convert the analog signal then scandouble flickerfix, then reconvert to analog again. All these steps degrades the image :(

Offline Cefa

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 04:17:18 PM »
Sadly it seems that most of those scandoubler chips only do 16 bit RGB 565. Which is kind of sad begause it would be nice to have a alternative to the only 24bit scandoubler i know of the picasso cards.

Cheers

Offline Cefa

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 06:02:30 PM »
alexh: What do you think of my idea of doing the scandoubling and flickerfixer in software (using a pci card on the PC ) to cut down on chips as much as possible. Using a clip that attaches to the chips inside the Amiga like the internal scandoublers. Although making a pci card with just a buffer without a ADC could be expensive :(

It would be cool if you could connect them using USB2 or firewire but they are problably to slow.

Cheers

Offline Cefa

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 02:12:07 AM »
Yeah but those card probably are doing some kind shortcuts. Like the video usb card i saw which only supported 320x240 resolution :) USB2 and firewire are probably to slow remember that the Amiga sends out 50/60 Hz every second which you must somehow take care of. Thats why i would like to have a simple PCI card which buffers the signals and sends them to the PC, Pegasos, AOS4 whatever. Then you write a scandoubler/flickerfixer in software and using maybe the mplayer sources as guide or using them directly.

But i dont have the skill (PCI cards arent like easy ISA cards ) nor the money to do it :(

Dak’kon: "Strength lies in *knowing* oneself.

Cheers