Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Emulation under a G3/4 Mac.  (Read 2060 times)

Description:

Offline wozTopic starter

• Show all replies
Emulation under a G3/4 Mac.
« on: July 25, 2003, 04:34:43 PM »
What about emulating a PPC Amiga on an AppleMac G4, surely that would be a lot faster than the Phase 5 PPC Amigas?

Offline wozTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: Emulation under a G3/4 Mac.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 10:07:02 AM »
Strange that as I've also downloaded MacUAE and I cant get it to work at all, I've got the ROM image from my A1200 but it refuses to boot into the KS 3.1 rom at all. I'm using Mac OS 9.1 with my G3-400 mac.  Youd think that using a Mac to emulate an Amiga would give you better than Amiga PPC speeds.

Offline wozTopic starter

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 11:25:51 AM »
Yes, I know that UAE wont emulate a PPC Amiga, it would be great if it did though, but as you state Mac UAE is slow on the 68k emulation so it would'nt be worth emulating the PPC side of things, shame.

Offline wozTopic starter

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 10:14:46 AM »
Thanks for that reply, and you've put a lot of thought and possible problems in to it.

It shouldn't be emulation as it is WinUAE but it should be emulation in same way that Fusion works on Classic Amigas or how MOL works under PPC Linux. You only emulate what is missing. There is no reason to emulate a PowerPC CPU when you have one available. Therefore the PPC emulation would be quite quick.

I agree with you on this 100%  UAE would be slow. But we'd need a good emulator, look how many AGA only games/utilities are out there.  As you say, there's a lot of problems that could'nt be brought foreward untill it was actually taken on, but I think it would be a very viable undertaking, so many Amiga users would benefit, as a lot of us allready have G3 PowerMacs. :-)