Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Star Trek' Technology for our 'Moon Colonies'  (Read 2462 times)

Description:

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Re: 'Star Trek' Technology for our 'Moon Colonies'
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:56:52 AM »

Cymric wrote:
Then there is a different problem: how do you brake a probe equipped with only an ion engine? Right now they used the Moon's own gravitational field to capture the probe. Gravitational fields of sufficient strength are rare :-).

Simple, rotate craft by 180 degrees and the thrust will eventually slow the probe down.  Okay it takes time to cancel out the velocities attained, but anyone who's ever played Frontier will understand the physics.  The Ion drive will have a very low thrust to weight ratio, therefore will take longer to accelerate/decellerate.

It is a promising technology and deserves lots of further study, yes. But until an ion engine can deliver the same thrust that will propel us to the Moon in 4 days, and have the stamina to keep that same level of thrust up for years, then and only then will I begin to call it 'Star Trek' technology.

The attraction is that instead of building a 111 metre tall rocket at a cost of billions to propel a few meagre tons to the moon, a smaller rocket would only need to propel the cargo into a stable Earth orbit.  A normal rocket not only has to propel the probe, but an extra stage containing sufficient propellant to enable the proble to attain escape velocity which means more mass for the initial stage to boost into the sky.  Once in orbit the Ion drive would fire up and eventually propel the package to the moon.  A conventional rocket cannot remain burning indefinitely, but an Ion drive can.  

Every single interplanetary probe we've launched has had to rely upon the so called "slingshot" effect to accelerate / decelerate.  We're a long way from having the ability to fly around the solar system at will  a-la Frontier, but there is research into matter / anti-matter propulsion going on which may one day prove a viable proposition.
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Re: 'Star Trek' Technology for our 'Moon Colonies'
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 11:19:02 AM »

Cymric wrote:
 and unlike Frontier, which has that marvellous bug/feature that braking is truly instantaneous when in ... err, what's that mode called, maximum time ignoration (for lack of a better word ;-)), the Real Thing obeys the laws of physics.

Haha!  Yep, how true...  Great game though.

It's not that I'm against the idea of slingshots: we cannot do without them for the time being. It is just that the title of this thread ('Star Trek technology for our Moon colonies') is in my opinion a gross overestimation of what ESA achieved. It is a marvellous result, yes, but we haven't even come close to rivalling Star Trek yet.

The laptop on my desk is smaller than the computer in Kathryn Janeway's office and I wonder what Jim Kirk would make of a Nokia 4110 mobile phone...  

Seriously though, although the achievement seems less than impressive it's still a step forward.  Remember, I (and I assume you too) belong to a generation which expected to be flying to Tokyo at hypersonic speeds by 2004 and that humans would live and work on the moon.  The fact that we aren't is a cause for disappointment, but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that my telephone would have the sort of processing power that was not too long ago the sole preserve of a super computer.  An extract from a 1991 copy of Amiga magazine about the then new 68040 25Mhz accelerator: "It's difficult to imagine a need for such frankly ridiculous processing performance...".

Cecilia for President