Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The X500 Plus is live on Kickstarter!  (Read 6557 times)

Description:

Offline TheDaddyTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
The X500 Plus is live on Kickstarter!
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:31:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

These seven-eight years have been fun and very costly.

All the latest modifications to make it cheaper have been added and paid for, I've cut and removed stuff but it'd still retain its identity.

I've managed to cut the cost from £259 to £235, it still means that I'll have to find the rest of the money somewhere else and, as before, making them at a loss for a while...

So the X500 Plus is now live on kickstarter.

Just go to the kickstarter page for the "X500 Plus computer case" and choose yours or think about supporting it by pledging some cash.

I've created some rewards from £1 to £255 or more, it's up to you really. :)

No money will be collected unless the project is funded successfully by the 31st March! :) So no risk there...

X500 Plus on Kickstarter

£235
THE WHITE ONE. Get one of the very first white X500 Plus computer cases. The complete, FULLY ASSEMBLED X500 Plus computer case with white POWDER COATED aluminium base and rear, white machined sides and cover. White low profile USB, chiclet keyboard with shortened cable and internal USB header, slim SATA DVD-RW drive with SATA cable, 3.5" internal USB card reader (limited availability of white bezels for slim DVD drive and Card Reader), 1x40mm silent fans, 1x50mm fan and your choice of LED colour (white, amber, red, green, blue) for Power and Drive Activity. The keyboard will be supplied with the U.K. language layout and FREE, high quality set of adhesives for your preferred language layout (if required) and Amiga layout.

£235
THE BLACK EDITION. Get one of the very first black X500 Plus computer cases. The complete, FULLY ASSEMBLED X500 Plus computer case with black POWDER COATED aluminium base and rear, machined sides and cover. Black, low profile, USB, chiclet keyboard with shortened cable and internal USB header, spare keyboard, slim SATA DVD-RW drive with SATA cable, 3.5" internal USB card reader, 1x40mm silent fans, 1x50mm fan and your choice of LED colour (white, amber, red, green, blue) for Power and Drive Activity. The keyboard will be supplied with the U.K. language layout and FREE, high quality set of adhesives for your preferred language layout and Amiga layout (if required).

£255
POWER USER. All of the above plus a PCI-Express x16 riser card (for your graphics card) and extra fans. Get one of the very first X500 Plus computer cases. The complete, FULLY ASSEMBLED X500 Plus computer case with black or white POWDER COATED aluminium base and rear, black or white machined sides and cover. Black or white low profile USB, chiclet keyboard with shortened cable and internal USB header, slim SATA DVD-RW drive with SATA cable, 3.5" internal USB card reader, 2x40mm silent fans, 2x50mm silent fans and your choice of LED colour (white, amber, red, green, blue) for Power and Drive Activity, PCI-Express x16 riser card (for your graphics card). Signed and dedicated to you (bottom of the case). The keyboard will be provided with the U.K. language layout and FREE, high quality set of adhesives for your preferred language layout (if required) and Amiga layout.

We need to reach or smash through £10,000.

This is where the community comes in!

This will be one of the very first Amiga related kickstarter projects and its success will depend on us. :)

Even if you don't want one please think about supporting it.

1) It'll make the community look good ;)
2) It'll publicise the whole community to a massive audience
3) It'll publicise AmigaOS, AROS, MOS etc...etc... to a massive audience
4) Names such as AmigaOS, AROS, MOS, ACube, Hyperion, amigaworld.net,
amiga.org, amigakit.co.uk, Vesalia, amigans.net, natami.net, amiganews.it etc... will appear several times in videos and project descriptions on my behalf.

5) It'll make people who want one happy.
6) Failing is not an option! So no pressure then! :D

One more request...please refrain from trolling or asking questions regarding its price (we all know that they'll be sold at a loss so you've got your answer already), questions regarding the keyboard, the colour of the case etc...etc...have been answered already. Please keep this thread on topic. :)

But ideas about the kickstarter project itself, ideas about new rewards and how to improve the project are very welcome.

Please spread the word! :)

Thank you very much!

;)

Offline mrmoonlight

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
Re: The X500 Plus is live on Kickstarter!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:08:20 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;726512
Hi everyone,

These seven-eight years have been fun and very costly.

All the latest modifications to make it cheaper have been added and paid for, I've cut and removed stuff but it'd still retain its identity.

I've managed to cut the cost from £259 to £235, it still means that I'll have to find the rest of the money somewhere else and, as before, making them at a loss for a while...

So the X500 Plus is now live on kickstarter.

Just go to the kickstarter page for the "X500 Plus computer case" and choose yours or think about supporting it by pledging some cash.

I've created some rewards from £1 to £255 or more, it's up to you really. :)

No money will be collected unless the project is funded successfully by the 31st March! :) So no risk there...

X500 Plus on Kickstarter

£235
THE WHITE ONE. Get one of the very first white X500 Plus computer cases. The complete, FULLY ASSEMBLED X500 Plus computer case with white POWDER COATED aluminium base and rear, white machined sides and cover. White low profile USB, chiclet keyboard with shortened cable and internal USB header, slim SATA DVD-RW drive with SATA cable, 3.5" internal USB card reader (limited availability of white bezels for slim DVD drive and Card Reader), 1x40mm silent fans, 1x50mm fan and your choice of LED colour (white, amber, red, green, blue) for Power and Drive Activity. The keyboard will be supplied with the U.K. language layout and FREE, high quality set of adhesives for your preferred language layout (if required) and Amiga layout.

£235
THE BLACK EDITION. Get one of the very first black X500 Plus computer cases. The complete, FULLY ASSEMBLED X500 Plus computer case with black POWDER COATED aluminium base and rear, machined sides and cover. Black, low profile, USB, chiclet keyboard with shortened cable and internal USB header, spare keyboard, slim SATA DVD-RW drive with SATA cable, 3.5" internal USB card reader, 1x40mm silent fans, 1x50mm fan and your choice of LED colour (white, amber, red, green, blue) for Power and Drive Activity. The keyboard will be supplied with the U.K. language layout and FREE, high quality set of adhesives for your preferred language layout and Amiga layout (if required).

£255
POWER USER. All of the above plus a PCI-Express x16 riser card (for your graphics card) and extra fans. Get one of the very first X500 Plus computer cases. The complete, FULLY ASSEMBLED X500 Plus computer case with black or white POWDER COATED aluminium base and rear, black or white machined sides and cover. Black or white low profile USB, chiclet keyboard with shortened cable and internal USB header, slim SATA DVD-RW drive with SATA cable, 3.5" internal USB card reader, 2x40mm silent fans, 2x50mm silent fans and your choice of LED colour (white, amber, red, green, blue) for Power and Drive Activity, PCI-Express x16 riser card (for your graphics card). Signed and dedicated to you (bottom of the case). The keyboard will be provided with the U.K. language layout and FREE, high quality set of adhesives for your preferred language layout (if required) and Amiga layout.

We need to reach or smash through £10,000.

This is where the community comes in!

This will be one of the very first Amiga related kickstarter projects and its success will depend on us. :)

Even if you don't want one please think about supporting it.

1) It'll make the community look good ;)
2) It'll publicise the whole community to a massive audience
3) It'll publicise AmigaOS, AROS, MOS etc...etc... to a massive audience
4) Names such as AmigaOS, AROS, MOS, ACube, Hyperion, amigaworld.net,
amiga.org, amigakit.co.uk, Vesalia, amigans.net, natami.net, amiganews.it etc... will appear several times in videos and project descriptions on my behalf.

5) It'll make people who want one happy.
6) Failing is not an option! So no pressure then! :D

One more request...please refrain from trolling or asking questions regarding its price (we all know that they'll be sold at a loss so you've got your answer already), questions regarding the keyboard, the colour of the case etc...etc...have been answered already. Please keep this thread on topic. :)

But ideas about the kickstarter project itself, ideas about new rewards and how to improve the project are very welcome.

Please spread the word! :)

Thank you very much!

;)

WOW that is excellent and brilliant if i could fit an old Amiga 1200 in to it ,that has to be the smartest case ever built ,someone ought to start building Amiga,s with this case ,outstanding ,sorry if i have gone off track a little ,but i can just see it the Amiga revival trashes the pc.,Brian.
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Thanks!...just as a reminder, kickstarter will NOT take any money off you UNLESS the target is achieved. Even if you don't want one consider supporting it...

If you have any cool ideas for extra rewards let me know! ;)

Keep pledging! :D

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
great to see someone trying to do something, but i must be honest here. this x500 looks just like some aluminum that have been bent, cut some holes and painted. it just look like a brick, where are the shapes?.. the a500 had a lot of nice shapes in it, and there was a wonderful design made some years back that was called the fantasycase..

pic here..
http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com/amiga/a_scuzz_oct02/amiga-fantasyb.jpg

just look at the shapes of the fantasycase.. then look at the x500 case.. i know where i would have spent my money, and it is not the x500 that is for sure.

TheDaddy your on the right track... so better luck next time :)

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »
Quote from: A1260;726583
great to see someone trying to do something, but i must be honest here. this x500 looks just like some aluminum that have been bent, cut some holes and painted. it just look like a brick, where are the shapes?.. the a500 had a lot of nice shapes in it, and there was a wonderful design made some years back that was called the fantasycase..

pic here..

just look at the shapes of the fantasycase.. then look at the x500 case.. i know where i would have spent my money, and it is not the x500 that is for sure.

Yeah, but acknowledge the name of it for ones and you get the idea why this will never happen. It is just a fantasy!

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
Quote from: A1260;726583

pic here..

Although I've explained this already a few hundred times here it comes....again:

1) The X500 Plus IS aluminium which has been cut, punched and sprayed! :)

2) Bricks DO NOT COME in those shapes :)

3) A mobile phone is the shape of a brick, even the all conquering, glorious iphone is more brick shaped than the X500 Plus.

4) If I had had £10,000 to start with (on the day) I would have made it using injection moulded plastic (I believe you know what that means) but since I spent that money in seven years that couldn't happen so I went the route of finding the materials, bend them, CNC machining them and spraying them. I suppose you understand this concept :)

5) Anyone who looks at the fantasy case properly can see that it would be a very thick case. Check the DVD height and floppy above, I'd suspect 80-90mm high.

Now go and pledge! ;)

Offline amiman99

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
I have an idea for a Kickstarter award:

Make a $5-10 donation or more and for that inscribe all names that donated for your project, like in A1000 case!!!!
You can use a stencil for that, and paint spray.  Dont know how much to do a stencil, but you could research it.

Good luck!
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »
Quote from: amiman99;726624

Make a $5-10 donation or more and for that inscribe all names that donated for your project, like in A1000 case!!!!
You can use a stencil for that, and paint spray.  Dont know how much to do a stencil, but you could research it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input amiman99, appreciated! :)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »
Quote from: amiman99;726624

Good luck!

For a $10,000 goal, that could be as many as 1000-2000 names!  :eek:
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline amiman99

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:24:09 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;726724
For a $10,000 goal, that could be as many as 1000-2000 names!  :eek:
OK...maybe charge a bit more...but idea still stands.
Maybe inscribe the names of the first buyers that support the cause, that's about 40 names, how about that!
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:06:22 AM »
I think Kickstarter lets you limit certain prizes/pricepoints, so doing a 40x$10 (or whatever price)  name inscription should certainly be an option. :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
@A1260 Yet another positive post, well done
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
Quote from: amiman99;726731
OK...maybe charge a bit more...but idea still stands.
Maybe inscribe the names of the first buyers that support the cause, that's about 40 names, how about that!

That could work.  :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »
The minute we smash through the target I'll order the required parts and ask the factories to start making the aluminium and the plastic...Thanks! :)

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 04:02:17 PM »
@Darrin, amiman99, oldsmobile_Mike

First 30 backers get their name stenciled inside the case...interesting...so how would you go on about creating the reward?

Maybe a Limited Edition?!