Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is OS4.1 worthy of the Amiga name?  (Read 12342 times)

Description:

Offline Fab

• Show all replies
Re: Is OS4.1 worthy of the Amiga name?
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »
Quote from: Varthall;532378
I think that a better comparison would be how legacy software actually performs under both systems, and if there are programs that run only on one system, how many of them do so and how much important/relevant/useful they are and if a native version of them already exist.

Well if you're interested in such a compatibility comparison, let's also remember MorphOS avoid breaking compatibility when it's not required. So programs like magellan or golded6 still run on MorphOS, unlike OS4. Also MorphOS is more compatible with Warp3D/WarpOS applications (which is quite ironic), and Hyperion games actually run better on MorphOS.

I don't know about all the features of MOS, what about the following ones that have been integrated in OS4, are they integrated in MOS as well and if so how do they compare?

I shouldn't do it, but since this thread has turned into a comparison, let's reply anyway. Also note that MorphOS has almost all features that OS4 still lacks and plans to have in next versions (such as USB2, DDC support, usable shell with history/completion/tabs, window shadows, ...)

- TCP/IP stack (MOS has MosNet integrated AFAIK, how does it compare with Roadshow?)
It's not Mosnet, but AMITCP 5 more integrated into the system, basically.

- PTP support (is it integrated in MOS? Does it have e.g. thumbnail support as in OS4?)
PTP is implemented as a dos handler by Poseidon, so Ambient can directly browse the device, and obviously show thumbnails it wanted.

- HW compositing

There's hardware compositing since 2.0 (which gives eyecandy like transparent windows, window shadows, triple buffered display and so on).

- integrated Cairo library

No, but let's note that the supplied cairo library in OS4 is totally unaccelerated and even slower than the plain image surface, which is why joerg used a straight cairo recompilation for OWB instead.
I also use my own cairo "port" for OWB MorphOS port and related projects.

- journaling filesystem (JXFS vs. SFS, how do they compare feature-way?)
Trusting a new filesystem takes time. How does JXFS perform in all aspects?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:33:07 PM by Fab »