Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is OS4.1 worthy of the Amiga name?  (Read 12394 times)

Description:

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: Is OS4.1 worthy of the Amiga name?
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »
I think OS4 is worth the Amiganame - but the real question is: How much worth is the name Amiga today?

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;532464
yes indeed it is! it's the best and fastest Amiga OS to date.  Now that the course case is finally over much better things are on the way for AmigaOS.
Honestly people make me laugh when they need a 4 GHz machine to write the same letter that my 133Mhz PII machine can write...it really all depends on what you 'need' from your computer.

Define "fastest Amiga OS".
Faster in overall execution?? Failes - Amithlon can be faster due to much faster hardware.
Getting more things with lexx cpu cycles done? Maybe - but I somehow doubt all rewritten and/or new ppc routines are faster/cycle than the 68k counterparts.

If you count native code only the fastest system in overall performance would be some probably some AROS maschine (Core i7 someone?). The fastest PPC maschine supported by an Amigaish system: Mac Mini G4 1500 MHz (MorphOS). Fastest OS4 maschine: PegasosII or overclocked A1XE.
Performance of OS4 on the same hardware as MorphOS (namely the PegII) doesn't look too good for OS4.
Thus I finally conclude: OS4 supports the least powerful hardware and is cpu power independent slower than e.g. MorphOS. At least these points made my choice pretty easy. That OS4 is the most exensive system is another issue (but that wouldn't have stopped me, luckily my bank account is pretty loaded).
But yeah - it is AmigaOS (tm).

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:15:23 PM »
Quote from: tone007;532586
It's all about the brand and the Boing Ball.

If you want price, features and performance, you go with a modern PC.

It is? Well fo you mayeb, but my agenda it is about *how* things work. And which apps work. I am used to the Amiga way of things since ages (1989?) and refuse to change my mind about that as long as possible. I couldn't care less about boing balls or butterflies or #? as long as the system executes the same software I am using since ages and the system is as fast as possible, clean and known by me. The system qualifies when it feels as I am used to feel and when it acts exactly as I want it to act.

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:11:09 PM »
Quote from: cha05e90;532599
So for all of us who came from OS3.x a standard multi ghz intel pc with winuae would qualify for the same?!? I don't really believe that your reasons are really the reasons you mentioned - there is/was more than that...

Sure, OS3.x can be pretty fine.
But it doesn't mean that things cannot be changed and/or improved.  My main decision-driver is functionality. But let me give you some (usorted and fully uncomlete) examples why I don't use 3.x any longer but migrated to MorphOS:
Ambient versus WB.
The integrated prefs vs. the prefs mess in OS3.x.
A powerfull Shell vs. the 3.x shell.
The skinnig system vs. no skinning system in 3.9.
A powerful browser (OWB for MorphOS) vs no really useable powerful browser.
Reggae & Datatypes vs. Datatypes only.
Good support by the developers vs. no support for 3.x.
Need of a host system (for emulation) vs. no need of a host system.
A sepration of system files and private files vs. no seperation.
A new icon system vs. some hacks and patches.
High speed on a low wattage system vs. high speed on a non-low wattage system.
CGX and AHI fully integrated vs. not fully interated.
MUI 4.0 vs. MUI 3.8.
Exeution of 68k, WOS PUP and MorphOS executales vs. 68k only.
The list goes on and on. I really liked OS3.x but I moved on and decided for the system that provided the smoothest upgrade path from my computer heritage to a rather modern system.

I should note that AROS and OS4 offer similar upgrade pathes, even AfAOS qualifies to some extend. But my earlier reply was about my motivation to chose a particular system. And my main motivation actually is functionality and *not* names or logos.