Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A4000 issues  (Read 2646 times)

Description:

Offline Castellen

Re: A4000 issues
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Quote from: amigakid;801249
I was wondering if anyone had a electronic manual or Doc on testing motherboards (ICUs, Caps, resistors and such) and what the readouts should be on a multimeter.  Does anyone have any ideas on what I can check for?I really want to get her up and running (been a few years).  Also is there a way to test the PSU and what should the readings be on the pins in the plugin to the MB?

The board only needs +5V (+/- 10%) to boot, which is from the fat yellow wire on the main board power conector.  Probably not power supply related given your clues so far.

The schematics are easily available.

In terms of fault finding, you need to start with the basics such as are all reset lines inactive (high/5V), are all clocks valid, valid p-p levels on address and data bus lines.  Check the overlay line from U350 is being set after power on, indicating initial ROM data is being read and CIAs can be written to.

Common faults are battery corrosion around U177, U891, etc.  If these parts look corroded, remove them using a SMD rework station and see if the system boots.  It doesn't need these parts fitted to boot, though of course you'll have no RTC or fast memory.

If you can't get anywhere, I can send you an estimate to repair.

http://amiga.serveftp.net

Offline Castellen

Re: A4000 issues
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:43:25 AM »
Quote from: amigakid;801319
do you need the whole unit (case and all) or just the MB and CPU card?

Just the main board.  If you want to update the A3640 to revision 3.2 (logic image change) and replace the capacitors and correct polarity, it's no problem to do that at the same time.

If you want to pursue the repair, Email me with what country you're in and I'll work out approx. costs including return freight.

I've just caught up on a large backlog of Amiga jobs, so turnaround times should be about a week or less.

Contact details on the front page:
http://amiga.serveftp.net