Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A4000 issues  (Read 2619 times)

Description:

Offline amigakidTopic starter

• Show all replies
A4000 issues
« on: January 03, 2016, 05:07:48 AM »
I have an Amiga 4000 that when I turn it on only get a grey screen.  It powers on (lights and all come on), using CTRL A+A restarts it (HDD spins down then on again and Caps locks flashes).  I just put in a new A3640 CPU card and the motherboard I got was from Ebay (about year or so ago) with a coin battery replacement for the barrel.  The board is pretty clean and traces seem fine.  I have stripped it all the way to just chip RAM and 3640 board only and still only get gray screen.  Capacitors look good, but I was wondering if anyone had a electronic manual or Doc on testing motherboards (ICUs, Caps, resistors and such) and what the readouts should be on a multimeter.  Does anyone have any ideas on what I can check for?I really want to get her up and running (been a few years).  Also is there a way to test the PSU and what should the readings be on the pins in the plugin to the MB?

• Show all replies
Re: A4000 issues
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »
It will for about 6-7 times.  From what I read it doesn't mean CPU is bad, just the the KB memory gets full and it can't light up anymore.  I was wondering if anyone has a doc or something that can walk you through troubleshooting a motherboard.  Something that tells you what maybe the multimeter readings should be for different chips.  Also how to test the power supply.  I am kind of thinking that might be a problem possibly since this is the second MB and second 3640 card in it.  Any ideas?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »
Thank you for the links I will try them out and let you guys know

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:14:21 AM »
Thank you everyone for your responses.  That rework station looks good, and pretty fair price.  I will be trying the basics and testing tomorrow, then if need to order the rework station.
@Castellen - I may end up taken you up on having you fix it.  If so do you need the whole unit (case and all) or just the MB and CPU card?