Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amiga site?  (Read 4499 times)

Description:

Offline Bodie_CI5

• Show only replies by Bodie_CI5
Re: New Amiga site?
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 01:02:01 PM »
@ fragment

WOW, thanks for that :-o
Recovering WoW addict.

And, I\'ve relapsed, LOL.

Hmm, might be canceling again. LOL

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 01:10:20 PM »
@fragment

Good show!
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 01:12:18 PM »
Amiga.org is good like it is now, i.e. the best retro/classic Amiga forum. But you should do what is the best in your heart.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline jonssonj

• Show only replies by jonssonj
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 01:12:49 PM »
I must agree with odin.

It has been 4 month now with total silence from hyperion and eyetech is not better. The only one we get new "things" from is Elbox and that is mostly new drivers to existing hardware.

I would like to know when the new OS 4 is coming and if there is developers out there that makes games / programs to this new OS 4?

I don't know if I'm going to sell my Amiga, but that is mostly because I do not even get a tenth of what I have purchased all the stuff to my amiga for.

Some positive messages from anyone is very much appreciated.

/Jörgen Jönsson

Offline JonoPike

• Show only replies by JonoPike
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jonopike
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 01:31:45 PM »
It looks like A1 and OS4 are dead, even before they
were born! I don't think there's gonna be a big
AmigaOne-OS4 revival. And why is it that the A1 has
no case around it?! Only a MoBo...without a case?!
Very weird! They should make a nice recognisable
Amiga case with a complete Amiga system in it,
that sells better then only a MoBo...

EDIT:)
I think the whole A1/OS4 project is bleeding to dead.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 01:35:07 PM »

bOiNgHeAd wrote:
It looks like A1 and OS4 are dead, even before they
where born! I don't think there's gonna be a big
AmigaOne-OS4 revival. And why is it that the A1 has
no case around it?! Only a MoBo...without a case?!
Very weird! They should make a nice recogniseable
Amiga case with a complete Amiga system in it,
that sells better then only a MoBo...

For the Price, I would want a complete system! (yes with a recognisable case)

Offline Troels_E

• Show only replies by Troels_E
    • http://www.amigabounty.net
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2004, 02:12:51 PM »
@jonssonj

There have been no official updates regarding OS4 but Hyperion still have made a lot of comments and answered lot of peoples questions. Almost everything apart from a release date :)

I understand why they can't come up with a definate release date and I feel that them answering the questions we might have is better than a status update once a month or so.

Anyway most news have come from shows and since you're located in Malmø you have had the chance for visiting both AmiGBG and the prerelease party in Landskrona (Ok, thats some time ago now), dunno if you where there but there is actually quite  a lot of active Amigans in Sweden.

------------------------------------------------
@ Wayne

I dont see much interest in AmigaDE so a website regarding that does not seem relevant atm.

Regarding OS4 I think that is fully covered, with OS4depot, Intuitionbase and AW.net. I can't really think of a reason to go and compete with them.

My advice would be to continue Amiga.org and concentrate on that, it's the site that cares most for classic users and a lot of people likes that.
The bounty site for AmigaOS4 www.amigabounty.net

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2004, 02:58:28 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Hi guys,

Hi Wayne,

I have a question.  Over the last few years, I've picked up several Amiga related domain names and simply held on to them since my original intent was to put them to good use for the Amiga community.

Right now, two of them, amigaos.info and amigade.info are coming up for renewal.  Rather than simply paying the renewal for no real benefit, I've been wondering what exactly I could/should do with them.

With the pending release of AmigaOS 4 (date still unknown), I thought I would ask you guys for an opinion.  If we were able to build a new site as a central repository of information for AmigaOS, what do you think should be posted there to differentiate it from the other sites out there?  I know we should consider posting bugfixes, patches and the like, but what else?

Interesting question. Well, you asked us for opionion, so..
I like Amiga.org's role in the community. It is a place where returning users, occasional users, newcomers as well as veteran amigans can ask hardware questions, discuss software, talk to other users about their experiences with different setups, upgrading etc.
It's easy to forget how much more is possible with the internet as a resource. In being such an informative site [by virtue of all the experience available to draw on, and past threads], it can only benefit the 'cause' of the Amiga, so to speak. People thinking of buying one can get great advice, including places to buy. In fact, people often buy from others in the forum, yet another example of the site's worth.

However, notice how I talk of Amiga.org serving its purpose so effectively to the classic Amiga. From my point of view, this is all I am really interested in at present. But also,
in most cases, when threads become less than civil, shall we say, it is because of matters relating to the Pegasos or A1.

Amiga.org has served the classic community well over the last ten years, but has seemingly become distracted from it's purpose.

Please explain what you mean?
If it is perhaps the Coffee House aspect that plays a part, then its an interesting point. I notice Doobrey has mantioned that, so I'll talk about that in my reply to him.

We could rebuild Amiga.org from the ground up, refocusing on the way things should be, or we can add on a new site to hold information and other stuff related to the pending AmigaOne platform.  So, a bigger question is, which way should we go, or should we bother doing anything?

Wayne

From a purely Amiga perspective, I like the forums in the 'General Discussion' section, and think they are of great value.
As I have already indicated, I believe Amiga.org's greatest value is in serving the classic amiga. Now, this may be a contentious issue to some, but it is only my opinion :-)
...I think Amiga.org would be a great site if its focus was on the classic amiga. As it stands, most of the discussion that goes on in the HW and SW forums is already about this, and this is the most invaluable part of the site. AW.net and others serve the A1 community, and there is morphzone and others for the Pegasos, so perhaps making AO exclusively classic Amiga would be an option?

I like Amigas

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2004, 03:08:33 PM »
@ Doobrey

Doobrey wrote:

Humpfff.. If it was my decision, I`d dump the unused domain names and look at putting the new ideas into a sub-site with it`s own identity. Maybe even sharing the login, so people could log into amiga.org, browse about etc, then head off to os4.amiga.org and do whatever over there with the same username & pm box etc.

Hmm, not a bad idea..

As for Amiga.org, I love it the way it is..warts and all.

Yep!

I know Wayne has made it no secret that he dislikes the coffee house forums, but I think they`re an invaluable part of the site, as it acts as a sandpit to keep all the religious& political rants out of the main Amiga forums

They are an invaluable part of the site, but I'm not sure if there would be religious and political rants in HW forums, for example, if they didn't exist :lol:

and gives space for everyone to get to know everyone a bit better.
 I dunno, they just make the site feel alive, instead of a sterile "Amiga-holics" meeting place.

:lol:
My thoughts exactly. I think I said much the same thing a few months back. It would be duller without them, for sure.
I've 'met' some great people from all over the world :-)

Its just a shame the two political 'sides' seem to dominate the CH. I wish there was more humour, more discussion of music and film, life, love and literatrure :-)
Essentially, I wish it was a little more diverse.
[Note to self - post threads about more diverse subjects]
I like Amigas

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2004, 03:11:58 PM »
Thanks for expressing your opinion.  Most of my problem with the way things are is that the classic Amiga is fading, and the community has been taken over by a group of people whose attitudes and agendas are in direct opposition to the way the Amiga community used to be..  It feels less about the Amiga than a war room for sycophants and discussion of sexual/political preferences.  That I find disturbing.

perhaps making AO exclusively classic Amiga would be an option?
Eventually one of two things will happen.

1) If the A1/OS4 is successful, Amiga.org would eventually begin to transform itself as people moved from the old to the new.

2) If the A1/OS4 fails, the classic Amiga will eventually fade into vague memory, remembered only as a blip on the evolutionary scale of desktop computing...

I have a lot of fun memories of the Classic Amiga.  In fact, my life has pretty much been influenced by it, from stupid career choices to the friends I've made along the way, but looking at the situation realistically, without fresh blood by way of dealers (who are honest and receive our enthusiastic support), and software development, it's just a matter of time.

(sorry to sound morbid, but my life seems linked to the Amiga here in that the more this situation declines, the worse my life seems to get).

Wayne

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2004, 03:39:15 PM »
Its just a shame the two political 'sides' seem to dominate the CH. I wish there was more humour, more discussion of music and film, life, love and literatrure   Essentially, I wish it was a little more diverse.  [Note to self - post threads about more diverse subjects]

Yup, It's what you make it. Maybe you'll encourage others.

The CH environment here isn't unique. I frequent a site, The Armour Archive, for my other hobby. It's a discussion forum for medieval living history reenactors. Their is an off-topics forum there, but not as structured as here. Probably due to it being, well, about anyting but medieval history. It is also full of mostly political topics. Right, Left, Democrat, Republican are the main views. Oddly the members are quite civil given the exstreme views and agruments sometime posted. I think it has to do with the main focus of the site. Just last month the admins created a special off-topics political forum just for this fall, as with the up coming US elections there were just too many political topics in the off-topic forum.

So, by all means give us feedback. Also, you are not powerless. Post the type of topic you would like to see.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2004, 03:54:45 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Thanks for expressing your opinion.  Most of my problem with the way things are is that the classic Amiga is fading, and the community has been taken over by a group of people whose attitudes and agendas are in direct opposition to the way the Amiga community used to be..  It feels less about the Amiga than a war room for sycophants and discussion of sexual/political preferences.  That I find disturbing.

perhaps making AO exclusively classic Amiga would be an option?
Eventually one of two things will happen.

1) If the A1/OS4 is successful, Amiga.org would eventually begin to transform itself as people moved from the old to the new.

2) If the A1/OS4 fails, the classic Amiga will eventually fade into vague memory, remembered only as a blip on the evolutionary scale of desktop computing...

I have a lot of fun memories of the Classic Amiga.  In fact, my life has pretty much been influenced by it, from stupid career choices to the friends I've made along the way, but looking at the situation realistically, without fresh blood by way of dealers (who are honest and receive our enthusiastic support), and software development, it's just a matter of time.

(sorry to sound morbid, but my life seems linked to the Amiga here in that the more this situation declines, the worse my life seems to get).

Wayne

Personally I think 2 is the only realistic out come for Amiga as a desktop platform... the A1/OS4 is too little too late... The Classic Amigas are slowly dying one by one... and scammers are sucking what little confidence is left.

We have two options...

1. Say fair enough, it's been fun... lets get a real hobby and say good bye.

2. Stay together as a community and get involved in community projects to keep our little vision of the computing world alive... if nothing more than as a reminder to those in the future of how things were, and how they could have been. For me the Modern PC with it's GPUs (for graphics), DSPs (for sound), high performance CPUs and cheap, easy expansion abilites embody all which the original Amiga designers wanted from computer hardware all that hardware needs is an OS which continues the Amiga tradition.

You see, it's the community that is all that's left... the Holly Wars and politics have actually probably held the community together better than getting an AmigaONE out in 2000...

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2004, 04:25:49 PM »

Cyberus wrote:
Its just a shame the two political 'sides' seem to dominate the CH. I wish there was more humour, more discussion of music and film, life, love and literatrure :-)
Essentially, I wish it was a little more diverse.
[Note to self - post threads about more diverse subjects]
yeah, I know, Cyberus. But I think ppl here on Aorg are way too different (but politics concerns us all). I posted sometimes about movies or music in the entertainment ch (*sigh* I need to read more) but hardly anyone seemed to be interested (except from the political side of these things :-()
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2004, 04:40:55 PM »

bloodline wrote:

1. Say fair enough, it's been fun... lets get a real hobby and say good bye.

Never.

2. Stay together as a community and get involved in community projects to keep our little vision of the computing world alive... if nothing more than as a reminder to those in the future of how things were, and how they could have been. For me the Modern PC with it's GPUs (for graphics), DSPs (for sound), high performance CPUs and cheap, easy expansion abilites embody all which the original Amiga designers wanted from computer hardware all that hardware needs is an OS which continues the Amiga tradition.
[/quote]no it does not. Where the Amiga was a new and revolutionary idea, these computers stick with that 10-20yo idea. Plus it sticks with a notoriously old and bad technique, and expands it. Every software/hardware designer knows it's stupid to expand original designs, and if you want more you need to re-design stuff completely if you want to do it properly.
The pc is and a cripple machine, no matter how much they expand it, and it costs a lot of time for me if someone I know has bought a new computer and wants things installed on it or so.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 05, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »
With respect, this has exactly what to do with the topic of building a new Amiga-specific site?

@JJ

I do not intend to offend anyone by the deletion of your message(s).  I simply need to make a point about staying on topic.  This thread is wandering off on it's own and I just need to get it back to being productive.  Otherwise, we should just scrap all forums and just start one big "talk about whatever the hell you feel like" forum, but that would make us another Moobunny.

@everyone,

This site is about the Amiga.  Let's stay on topic please.

Wayne