Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's been a long time  (Read 1590 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: It's been a long time
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;825183
The only ironic thing here is you defending AROS because it's cheap.

"Unfortunately only you see can't how transparent and petty it makes you look"

The OP wants to spend $200 but it ain't gonna happen! Unless he's really lucky!

BTW, even the MorphOS guys are going to NEW...

Well...I am, but I can't say its the best decision for all.
After all, when you dispense with the hype, a G5 PowerMac is faster (it CAN display HD video without dropping frames), has higher memory bandwidth (even with older memory), and is much cheaper.
It just won't run both MorphOS and OS4.

But a PowerMac WILL run both MorphOS AND Ubuntu Mate, so...

However...fishy's $100 aud i5 system? Hey, I spend more than that on my video cards.
I can't imagine what a POS you get for $100 (although, I have bought laptops in that range).

Look, if your priorities don't include spending the bucks for a PPC AmigaOne, I'm cool with that.
But don't pretend your commodity Intel hardware's pricing has any real bearing on the situation.
Its an apples an oranges situation, and I like both.

And SOME people are stupid enough to pay those kind of prices for an A4000 tower.

Hey, to each his own.
How you spend YOUR money is your business.

What's "ironic" is you think I should give a flying fu*k about what you think of what I do with MINE.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »
The OP did ask for advice in part three of his post.

My advice, forget old used stuff (even if the g5 is faster...it's old)

BTW, X5000 can run linux and I've been told MorphOS too!

I'm so sick of the bad caps, battery rot and used up old devices.

I  offered the best advise I believe.

BUY NEW! If you want Amiga. At the moment, that's the X5000!

Cheap is not cost effective!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:19:14 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
@iggy
$50 for i5-760 CPU. $50 for a decent h55 MSI motherboard. Hardly a pos. Performs nicely. USB3, PCI express 3.0. Decent little micro atx machine.

Y'all might want to reel in the paranoia too. I was trying to offer the OP advice based on *his* wants. If you'd bothered to read what I wrote rather than jumping to raise your (irrelevant in the context of this thread) flag you'd have seen I even said that an RPI+amibian might be his best option for what he wants "despite AROS being my preference".
And yes SACC-Guy, my facts are correct. You claimed AROS needs an expensive Intel system to run properly, which is complete crap.

I couldn't care less if people want an X5000 or not. There were no "potshots", I simply tried to respond IN THE CONTEXT OF THE THREAD rather than trying to sell him on something he said multiple times he wasn't interested in.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:33:36 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;825188
The OP did ask for advice in part three of his post.

My advice, forget old used stuff (even if the g5 is faster...it's old)

BTW, X5000 can run linux and I've been told MorphOS too!

I'm so sick of the bad caps, battery rot and used up old devices.

I  offered the best advise I believe.

BUY NEW! If you want Amiga. At the moment, that's the X5000!

Cheap is not cost effective!

True!
Like George Harrison sang on 33&1/3 "Its all up to what you value, down to where you are..."

I'm waiting to spend slightly MORE on a four core P5040  based X5000 (and THAT won't outperform my G5s).

But it WILL run OS4, MorphOS, and Linux.
AND it WON'T run Windows OR MacOS, which to MY way of thinking is an advantage...;-)
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 09:30:41 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;825189
@iggy
$50 for i5-760 CPU. $50 for a decent h55 MSI motherboard. Hardly a pos. Performs nicely. USB3, PCI express 3.0. Decent little micro atx machine.

Y'all might want to reel in the paranoia too. I was trying to offer the OP advice based on *his* wants. If you'd bothered to read what I wrote rather than jumping to raise your (irrelevant in the context of this thread) flag you'd have seen I even said that an RPI+amibian might be his best option for what he wants "despite AROS being my preference".
And yes SACC-Dude, my facts are correct. You claimed AROS needs an expensive Intel system to run properly, which is complete crap.

I couldn't care less if people want an X5000 or not. There were no "potshots", I simply tried to respond IN THE CONTEXT OF THE THREAD.

You do in fact care! YOU want to push aros based choices, and
You missed that he want an Amiga! for aprrox $200
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:43:49 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
Well, back when I was poor, I wanted a leather jacket. I couldn't even afford the cheapest.
I saved my money, but didn't buy the cheap, I BOUGHT the best. I still have that jacket!

I don't see anyway around the 20/30 year old issues. So why buy them.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;825189
@iggy

And yes SACC-Dude, my facts are correct. You claimed AROS needs an expensive Intel system to run properly, which is complete crap.

I couldn't care less if people want an X5000 or not. There were no "potshots", I simply tried to respond IN THE CONTEXT OF THE THREAD.

No paranoia (you have to be afraid of something to be paranoid) or potshots (a comment needs to be unjustified to call it that).

Just a different point of view.

AND, from my point of view, compared to PPC NG, AROS IS crap.

AND ARM can't even offer me a decent PCIe equipped motherboard.
About $300 for a PCIe X4 slot (usually compact M2) OR about $800 for a board with a full sized slot (AND usually with all that development board quality fruitiness "baked" right in).

I'll stick with my legacy hardware supplemented my NG.

I may be typing this on my i7 laptop (WITH Win10), BUT, I could just as easily do that on my iBook under MorphOS.

And YES, I COULD do that with AROS, IF Win10 or Ubuntu Mate wasn't a better solution.

Also, I wasn't kidding about the video card, I'm looking forward to buying a cheap RX 560.  But that is going to cost more than the i5 system you are quoting.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
Haha,.... come on bloke, talk about transparent.  :)
Not sure me laughing my ass off was the reaction you was trying to stir in me though :)

And here's my equally silly response designed to trigger a reaction (well, if I was serious anyway)....

Hey, if you're happy with archaic performance and a 20year old graphics subsystem that's so obsolete it doesn't even have features introduced in the 90's (pixel shaders), a limit of 2gig ram (my last win98 machine had the same amount) and a CPU arch that hasn't really advanced in 15 years then I'm happy for you.

Personally I'd rather use the more advanced in every way Win9x.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:09:38 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;825191
You missed that he want an Amiga! for aprrox $200

yes, it seems he wants an amiga, not some ppc amigaone board, which is what you are apparently missing. please, stop trying to insist on newcomers, to throw thousands of dollars away for something, they likely never heard about (and that may not be, what they identify amiga with), just to run amiga software under emulation, as you would have to do on a regular pc.

btw, i have several amigas, still far from dying as it seems. and i can even run aros on them along with genuine software, no additional investments necessary. try that with os4.. sigh..

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 10:24:13 AM »
OP:  Welcome back.  Lol

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;825195
yes, it seems he wants an amiga, not some ppc amigaone board, which is what you are apparently missing. please, stop trying to insist on newcomers, to throw thousands of dollars away for something, they likely never heard about (and that may not be, what they identify amiga with), just to run amiga software under emulation, as you would have to do on a regular pc.

btw, i have several amigas, still far from dying as it seems. and i can even run aros on them along with genuine software, no additional investments necessary. try that with os4.. sigh..
I too have several Amigas, all working...

as to ppc is not amiga, Oh please, that old fable...
Amiga had the 060/ppc card back in the MorphOS 1.4 days (I still have mine)

MorphOS was setup on ppc.

The only new Amiga has PPC, get over it!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:43:17 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;825198
I too have several Amigas, all working...

exactly. its all fine..

as to ppc is not amiga, Oh please, that old fable...
Amiga had the 060/ppc card back in the MorphOS 1.4 days (I still have mine)

you dont have to tell me. i have one. the ppc on it is not of much use, but scsi interface is fine. all in all, an (almost) completely failed concept.

MorphOS was setup on ppc.

at least morphos people usually dont pretend they are "the (only) true amiga".

The only new Amiga has PPC, get over it!

it is your personal view. its fine as long as you mark it as such, rather than trying to impose it on others.

trying to get people caught with serious investment they might not realize e details of till it is to late is not a fair form of advertisement. take your example on kas1e over on aw.net, who is doing it right.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;825175
Amiga is not a cheap hobby.  Thank the hoarders who've snapped up nearly all of the available remaining systems, thus raising the price for returning folks like yourself.  :(

news to me. i have not spend much money on it since years, the only costly (and completely failed) experiment was to buy a system along with a ppc card to check if it delivers something significantly more, which it did not.

today, when fpga accelerators and replacement systems become popular for reasonable money, the situation is better than ever, i guess.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;825194
Haha,.... come on bloke, talk about transparent.  :)
Not sure me laughing my ass off was the reaction you was trying to stir in me though :)

And here's my equally silly response designed to trigger a reaction (well, if I was serious anyway)....

Hey, if you're happy with archaic performance and a 20year old graphics subsystem that's so obsolete it doesn't even have features introduced in the 90's (pixel shaders), a limit of 2gig ram (my last win98 machine had the same amount) and a CPU arch that hasn't really advanced in 15 years then I'm happy for you.

Personally I'd rather use the more advanced in every way Win9x.

Sure, and I'd personally LOVE to rely on an Intel based system with a built-in gpu that totally sucks gully water, IF I didn't know I could do better by adding a graphics card built with a gpu from their main competitor.

Laugh at whatever you want, I haven't gotten over the laughing fit I had when Intel was building Pentium 4 cpus.

And I use X64 hardware at work, why would I want to focus on using similar hardware in my hobbyist pursuits then DISABLING large parts of the functionality with an OS based on 20 year old software?

You go right ahead laughing, we're laughing too. But, not WITH you. :hammer:

Quote from: wawrzon;825200
news to me. i have not spend much money on it since years, the only costly (and completely failed) experiment was to buy a system along with a ppc card to check if it delivers something significantly more, which it did not.

today, when fpga accelerators and replacement systems become popular for reasonable money, the situation is better than ever, i guess.

Personally, I'd rather hear THAT argument than fishy's.
I can get behind the idea of replacing my legacy hardware with a well designed fpga system.

Quote from: wawrzon;825199

...at least morphos people usually dont pretend they are "the (only) true amiga".

Actually, we try to remember that the idea was to go BEYOND Amiga, even IF "the real" Amiga crowd decided that they wanted an exact PPC port of AmigaOS 3.X.

So it didn't work out, MorphOS becoming the next AmigaOS, does it matter?
We've become irrelevant anyway, except to us hobbyists.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:39:16 AM by Iggy »

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »
What silliness . No problem to get a system for under 200$. Buy a raspberry pi install Amiga os with rtg screen modes and use any HDMI/DVI monitor you have laying around. Boom you have a powerful classic Amiga that hardly use any electricity at all and is dead silent. Oh maybe he don't find aos useful for writing purposes, he can simply just install another OS like rasbian. If he is unhappy he lost hardly ANY money. If he bought a silly nextgen "Amiga" and wanted to sell it second hand he would be at a loss,even with new caps .

If he has a Intel mac or other PC he can try running UAE or maybe aros in VMware. This will cost nothing before committing to install on new partitions or buy a new system.
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #44 from previous page: May 01, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;825202
I can get behind the idea of replacing my legacy hardware with a well designed fpga system.

i woulnt want to replace my amigas with whatever. but to each heir own. its nice to actually have the options, without being outright forced into anything.