Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology and AmigaKit Buys Amigaworld.net  (Read 1745 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: A-EON Technology and AmigaKit Buys Amigaworld.net
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 04:44:31 PM »
@ dschallock

+ 1,000,000 & very well said:hammer: It's sad that unfortunately the loudest here are the trolls & naysayers that fortunately don't have a voice on other more strictly moderated Amiga forums. If only they spent their time doing something positive for their preferred OS of choice rather than making fools of themselves by mocking other peoples work & investments but alas that advice has been handed to them time & time again so I woudn't hold your breath friend until moderation here gets serious about making it 'a more friendlier place'
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
@thread

just a friendly reminder that discussions on specific moderator actions taken are best handled on our dedicated feedback forum or via PM. thanks!

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:03:19 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
Quote from: dschallock;775825
I am really grateful that we have people like Trevor and Matthew. Super grateful! I went to Amiwest on Saturday and spoke with the folks and they are awesome top notch people. I was just thinking how lucky we are to still have Amigakit. I think about the days when I would choose between buying my latest Amiga game from Software Select (a local chain store in our local shopping mall) or Applied Computer Systems (a real Amiga store we used to have in Sacramento), or Safe Harbor, or Software hut. Now All those retailers are gone but thankfully we have AmigaKit. I know nobody is making a great living off Amiga stuff anymore, so the few companies that do this out of love for for our machines are like heroes to me and I think we should be treating them like heroes.
Having those companies owning our amiga boards is not like Big Brother censorship, its more like we are soccer players and we just got a paid sponsor. We should be super excited someone is putting money into our beloved hobby.
And in terms of who is moderating the site; I say big deal. Employees always complain when a company brings in a new manager who wasn't with the company for a long time. But just like that situation sometimes it is better to have someone from the outside who isn't on anyone's side, or camp, who doesn't have history with anyone, or hard feelings or a beef with anyone in charge. He can be more objective more often than not.
I accept that my opinion on this issue may be completely the opposite of some others, but I just wanted to voice my respect and appreciation for the companies in question for what they are doing for the whole Amiga community. I want them to hear it, because if I was one of those companies shelling out money and time trying to make a positive impact on a small niche community and then I read a bunch of negative responses I would be kind of disheartened. So I want them to know there are those amongst us that are super grateful!

What a great post!  Moderation has got to be one of the most difficult, unrewarding jobs in our community (outside of trying to be a referee at roller derby, haha).  These folks work hard to make our community a great place and are constantly berated and attacked.  I think it would make just about any reasonable person throw up their hands and walk away, yet they keep at it.  Kudos for their hard work, and +1 to Matthew & Trevor continuing to support this argumentative, back-biting platform we all know and love, lol.  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 05:40:03 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;775833
What a great post! Moderation has got to be one of the most difficult, unrewarding jobs in our community (outside of trying to be a referee at roller derby, haha). These folks work hard to make our community a great place and are constantly berated and attacked. I think it would make just about any reasonable person throw up their hands and walk away, yet they keep at it. Kudos for their hard work, and +1 to Matthew & Trevor continuing to support this argumentative, back-biting platform we all know and love, lol. :)

Yeah it tough job. A lot of people complain about moderators. none of them have had the experience.

I have done it for gaming forum. Even done banners for events. (not the one on top of the page of Vbulletin forum.) But I didn't really have the time. Mostly I have busy being running my parents store.

Offline Senex

• Show only replies by Senex
    • http://www.amiga-news.de/standard
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;775828
@cgutjahr
If you want a different site. Put your money where your mouth is and set up your own site.

LOL

SCNR ;-)

Offline number6

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 07:08:57 PM »
Quote from: Senex;775847
LOL

SCNR ;-)

He might be too busy...
Here

We can discuss the other sites later. heh.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 07:33:22 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;775828

If you want a different site. Put your money where your mouth is and set up your own site.

you may have heard of aminet an amiga-news.de cg and senex are maintaining? its not a site just some twenty people are visiting but an esential attribute to whole amiga community, the biggest repository of amiga and its derivates software, no matter if it is mos, aros or os4..

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 07:36:47 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;775833
What a great post!  Moderation has got to be one of the most difficult, unrewarding jobs in our community

so you dont need to pick up this opportunity just to show off, right? there were good and respected mods around here too, take karlos as example. not a match for someone like kjmann or the like.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;775832
@thread

just a friendly reminder that discussions on specific moderator actions taken are best handled on our dedicated feedback forum or via PM. thanks!

-- eliyahu

yes, sweep it under the rug, thx.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;775853
so you dont need to pick up this opportunity just to show off, right? there were good and respected mods around here too, take karlos as example. not a match for someone like kjmann or the like.

Not sure why you quoted my post or what you're trying to say here, but I've been a member of this community for over 10 years and never had a single problem with moderation.  If anything, it's a little too light-handed, allowing people to get away with all kinds of insults and bashing that make me cringe.  There's got to be some balance between too little and too much (i.e., Amibay).  It's a fine line to walk.

I think the other person was trying to say above (before it linked off to some non-English forum), was "don't like it?  Go start your own site".  ;)

But this thread is way off-topic now, too.  Wouldn't mind some mods stepping in to fix that, haha.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;775856
Not sure why you quoted my post or what you're trying to say here
quite obvious. since you are reffering to how difficult moderation is, then im pointing to whom did it right for years on this very site.

Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;775856
I think the other person was trying to say above (before it linked off to some non-English forum), was "don't like it?  Go start your own site".  ;)
a-news has an english version:
http://amiga-news.de/en/
and if you are complaining that aminet is maintained from germany, then why dont you open own mirror and take care of it?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:17:36 PM by wawrzon »

Offline GMeanie

• Show only replies by GMeanie
    • http://www.ComputerGroupies.com
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
Does it matter why?
We can always keep buying new Domains with AMIGA in the URL.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
Quote from: GMeanie;775862
Does it matter why?
We can always keep buying new Domains with AMIGA in the URL.

Who is "we"?
a1200 060

Offline GMeanie

• Show only replies by GMeanie
    • http://www.ComputerGroupies.com
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »
Anyone that is against the buying of Forums.
Feel free to start your own they can't buy them all can they?

Quote from: kickstart;775863
Who is "we"?

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
Quote from: GMeanie;775866
Anyone that is against the buying of Forums.
Feel free to start your own they can't buy them all can they?

They should not.
a1200 060

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #44 from previous page: October 27, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;775861
and if you are complaining that aminet is maintained from germany, then why dont you open own mirror and take care of it?

I have no idea what you're even talking about here anymore.