Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The MorphOS lust may soon be over...  (Read 6096 times)

Description:

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: The MorphOS lust may soon be over...
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »
The ISO is "barren" for good reason, like some people having slow/capped internet access.

What IMO should be included (but probraly never will...) is geit's grunch (http://geit.de/eng_grunch.html) makes installing and updating SW quiet easy.

It also makes sure you're allwaysn on the newest version of those utube-scripts.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »
Steven, for youtube I find spoofing a iPad works better than just specifying html5 playback.

So you like Ambient?
Thought you might.
Just using MorphOS' interface sold me once I'd installed it (again on a "lowly" 933MHz Quicksilver).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759493
Would have been nice to know that. A few youtube videos and web pages mention it as the first thing you should install after morphos.

I guess it was good at some point... But currently, it total screws up the latest morphOS fresh installaion.

Other first impressions... When you install icaros, you have lots of programs,
lots of software to do most things.

MorphOS is really barren in comparison. My first suggestion to the MorphOS team is include more apps. This is really light on software. Maybe thats good so you can build your own system, but to a new morphos user, its not encouraging.

Aren't there lots of morphos games, productivity apps and more? Why not just
include them on the install?

Tomorrow I will reformat the partition and reinstall to fix the chrystalis virus.

:)

After that I'm going to try and install a few things, like milkytracker and also
test how well or not well this runs classic games, demos and apps. So far my experience has not been positive. I hope tomorrow finds me liking this more...

Steven

Don't install Chrysalis, just mount it's ISO image and drag and drop the apps and games you want to your work: partition.

Personally I advise using PFS3 for work: as it's nice and fast and doesn't feck up as easily as SFS.

Install Grunch too and add it to wbstartup so it will automatically update anything you have installed.

Create a custom screen for Odyssey too and disable Enhanced Display for that screen as it makes browsing a bit snappier.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:54:32 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline pVC

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759479
Here's another stupid question, but what joysticks work with morphOS? do the competition pro usb joysticks work?

Yes they do work. Any HID compatible USB controller works.

MorphOS is really barren in comparison. My first suggestion to the MorphOS team is include more apps. This is really light on software. Maybe thats good so you can build your own system, but to a new morphos user, its not encouraging.

I think there's lots of nice software on the ISO. For example Flacapella, Jalapeno, OWB, RDesktop, RemoteShell, SCANdal, Scribble, ShowGirls, Sketch, Transfer, VPDF, Jukebox... actually what else you could hope that much more? I think almost all areas you'll need for basic usage are covered. Only thing missing I can figure now is movie player, but it's for licencing issues. You'll need to install more software on Windows installation than on MorphOS to get started :)

Wierd but youtube videos do not play... Just kind of hangs, few minute wait and video still does not start... Thats a big dissapointment because that was one thing I hate about AROS...

Anyone know why or is there some settings I need to tweak?

As I said in the first page of this thread, you'll need to update the latest OWB and its scripts.

Visit http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/ and http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/scripts/ and read the OWB readme for youtube part!
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 02:08:27 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;759507
Don't install Chrysalis, just mount it's ISO image and drag and drop the apps and games you want to your work: partition.
Install Grunch too and add it to wbstartup so it will automatically update anything you have installed.

If you plan to use Grunch for updating it might also make sense to use it for actual isntalling.

This way you make sure that you won't miss any needed configuration files orv external libraries/classes (Grunch will check and autoinstall those too).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline nicholas

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759487
Wierd but youtube videos do not play... Just kind of hangs, few minute wait and video still does not start... Thats a big dissapointment because that was one thing I hate about AROS...

Anyone know why or is there some settings I need to tweak?

Install the OWB scripts with Grunch then enable them in Odyssey with the script manager.

Job done.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 02:28:41 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;759510
If you plan to use Grunch for updating it might also make sense to use it for actual isntalling.

This way you make sure that you won't miss any needed configuration files orv external libraries/classes (Grunch will check and autoinstall those too).

Good point though there are a couple of nice things on the Chrysalis ISO that aren't available in Grunch.  Not many but there are some.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
Hey,

Good news my lust is over too. I bought a laptop for MorphOS as well. It just 80 bucks. Now...where can one register for the latest version.  Oh, I bought the A1134 one. It is old, fat, slow compared to other models....perfect for the experience :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;759528
Hey,

Good news my lust is over too. I bought a laptop for MorphOS as well. It just 80 bucks. Now...where can one register for the latest version.

You can get the latest ISO image from http://morphos.de

To register it run the RegTool program from SYS:Tools

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 06:03:46 AM »
Well I managed to reformat the dh2 drive and do a clean new re-install, removing whatever problems the chrystalis pack caused.

So far, my experience with MorphOS has not been at all positive. First of all, youtube videos does not work. I'm going to try spoofing as ipad but so far, youtube videos do not play, and that was one of the big selling points to me since AROS can not view youtube videos (yet)

Next, the spareness of the initial install means you can't really try much out, other than checking out the system core stuff like utilities...

Unfortunately, no support for airport card means no wifi. I've moved this machine upstairs and since I have no wired ethernet or hubs this means no internet with morphOS. Later tonight I'm going to copy a bunch of morphos stuff to a thumb drive and see how some programs actually work...

I guess I was spoiled in AROS because an icaros distribution includes tons of software. This? almost nothing.

The other thing is themes and the look and feel. Yep just don't like it.
Appears to MACLIKE to me. Why folders and not drawers?

No screen dragging?

Anyone have a list of system friendly 68k apps I can try out?

And and I'm trying to remain positive, so I'll keep trying it out. The one thing
positive I can say is that it boots in 6 seconds, even on a lowly emac 1.25ghz.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 06:36:35 AM »
There are way too many 68k programs to list all system friendly applications but generally productivity software runs.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 07:02:26 AM »
Yes but I was asking for suggestions. Can you suggest some? Hopefully I can find some online...

I will also be testing classic apps like games and demos in emulator on morphOS.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 07:09:19 AM »
I believe the various Angband variants are system-friendly. They're also well worth playing ;)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 08:15:06 AM »
Long day today, tomorrow is another day. I want to test classic apps in emulator and system friendly apps next...

So far, not really digging this. In my estimation its better than os4 but worse than aros, but this is just my initial feelings. Hoping I'll like it more after running it through its paces...

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 08:27:45 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759563
Yes but I was asking for suggestions. Can you suggest some? Hopefully I can find some online...

I will also be testing classic apps like games and demos in emulator on morphOS.

I have installed AmiTradeCenter, AmiNetRadio, Scout, Blacks Editor (text editor) and SID4Amiga.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 24, 2014, 08:50:22 AM »
Never mind then.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:37:17 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)