Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The MorphOS lust may soon be over...  (Read 6093 times)

Description:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: The MorphOS lust may soon be over...
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 01:43:28 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759466
First post from new emac. Still running osx. I think I changed my mind and will dual boot... Is there a tutorial somewhere for dual booting osx/morphOS?

Only a 40 gig drive in this thing though... How much space for MorphOS?

I am aware this thing may be too slow for some things, more interested in just testing MorphOS. If its too slow to smoothly run aga games and other intensive classic stuff, I will get a supported g5 mac before I register.

I don't like there registration being strapped to one machine... So I wouldn't want to register for this machine then find its too slow...

Steven

1. There are nice dual boot guides out there check morphzone and maybe even official morphos site?

2. 40gb is plenty

3. Good idea on not reg on the emac, you will prolly want a better mac to register it to. Emac is one of the low end configs for morphos afaik.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline AmigaFreak

• Show only replies by AmigaFreak
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759469
okay got network working. Don't have osx 10.4 install cds so I will have to
resize the partition with ubuntu to install.

does anyone know, can I use airport card or wifi in MorphOS? If not I will have to leave this machine downstairs next to my router and use a wired connection grrrr...

This emac has no airport card, is anyone using something I can get on ebay for wifi with morphOS?

I asked a similar question awhile back. My eMac has an Airport Extreme card in it, and no, it does not work in MorphOS. I was told there are others that could be used to get WiFi in MorphOS. However at the moment the Airport Extreme card does not work.
-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 02:49:32 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759469
does anyone know, can I use airport card or wifi in MorphOS? If not I will have to leave this machine downstairs next to my router and use a wired connection grrrr...

This emac has no airport card, is anyone using something I can get on ebay for wifi with morphOS?
MorphOS won't work with Apple's "AirPort" cards, but certain Atheros chipsets are supported. I got a Netgear WG511T card for my Powerbook G4 and MOS works quite happily with it - the only point of concern with that is that I'm not sure how much space there is inside the eMac for its internal PCMCIA AirPort card and whether it would fit.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Rob

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 02:51:17 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759466
First post from new emac. Still running osx. I think I changed my mind and will dual boot... Is there a tutorial somewhere for dual booting osx/morphOS?

Pretty sure there is one.  Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction if you don't find it yourself.

Only a 40 gig drive in this thing though... How much space for MorphOS?

The NG OS's are still pretty lite so unless you put a load of media files and the Mac side isn't taking up much space you'll be fine.

I am aware this thing may be too slow for some things, more interested in just testing MorphOS. If its too slow to smoothly run aga games and other intensive classic stuff, I will get a supported g5 mac before I register.

I don't like there registration being strapped to one machine... So I wouldn't want to register for this machine then find its too slow...

Steven

Maybe get a faster G4 or G5 anyway.  If G5 it might be worth waiting for support for later PCIe Macs with Radeon X1xx0 cards.  X1300/x1500 driver was shown on Sam460 at Pianeta so hopefully not too long to wait.

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 03:03:33 AM »
Well what sucks is I have a 2 year old and I moved all my computer stuff upstairs because well... he likes to destroy everything in HIS living room... :)

I didn't feel like running network cables upstairs so I just use wifi but the router and stuff is downstairs.

Maybe its time to run some network cables, but thats just going to be a big PITA.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 03:08:27 AM »
Here's another stupid question, but what joysticks work with morphOS? do the competition pro usb joysticks work?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 03:13:29 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759478
Well what sucks is I have a 2 year old and I moved all my computer stuff upstairs because well... he likes to destroy everything in HIS living room... :)

I didn't feel like running network cables upstairs so I just use wifi but the router and stuff is downstairs.

Maybe its time to run some network cables, but thats just going to be a big PITA.

I recommend a wireless bridge - extremely handy. Plug wired device into bridge, the bridge wirelessly connects to router, and that's it! They're a little pricey, but I found it to be an extremely worthwhile investment.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 03:29:07 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;759480
I recommend a wireless bridge - extremely handy. Plug wired device into bridge, the bridge wirelessly connects to router, and that's it! They're a little pricey, but I found it to be an extremely worthwhile investment.

wireless bridge (sometimes sold as a wireless game adapter) will do it, or Ethernet over mains can work quite well if you have a large house wire poor wireless coverage.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 03:54:55 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;759480

I have a Netgear WNCE2001 bridge that works well on my iBook.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 04:33:43 AM »
Well I am happy to say I am posting this from MORPHOS on the emac.

The dual booting was a little confusing but I'm happy that it worked. GOOD GUIDE in pdf
for that saved the day.

First impressions... Slick, fast and beautiful. I want kens icons and would like to change the theme or window borders though. Does morphos allow os3.x window decorations like AROS?

MorphOS flies compared to osx. Very nice!

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 04:39:40 AM »
Wierd but youtube videos do not play... Just kind of hangs, few minute wait and video still does not start... Thats a big dissapointment because that was one thing I hate about AROS...

Anyone know why or is there some settings I need to tweak?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 05:33:41 AM »
You should make sure you have the preference set for Youtube to use HTML5 instead of Flash. Do so here: http://www.youtube.com/html5

Also note that Youtube is constantly messing around with their database design, so also make sure the support scripts are up to date (they were just updated, so what you have in your stock install may be obsolete).

You might also need Fab's port of MPlayer installed. Not sure about this one.

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »
Was using html5...

I don't know I also just borked my install by installing the deluxe chrystalis pack.
Bunch of stuff wasn't working, getting netbsd socket error message.

Reinstall, but looks like some of that chrystalis stuff still there, but the browser works. Now going to format the partition and do a clean install again...

So far all i can say about MorphOS is that it looked nice. NOT having a good first time trying this.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 08:23:22 AM »
Yeah, the Chrysalis pack is an absolute catastrophe.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »
Would have been nice to know that. A few youtube videos and web pages mention it as the first thing you should install after morphos.

I guess it was good at some point... But currently, it total screws up the latest morphOS fresh installaion.

Other first impressions... When you install icaros, you have lots of programs,
lots of software to do most things.

MorphOS is really barren in comparison. My first suggestion to the MorphOS team is include more apps. This is really light on software. Maybe thats good so you can build your own system, but to a new morphos user, its not encouraging.

Aren't there lots of morphos games, productivity apps and more? Why not just
include them on the install?

Tomorrow I will reformat the partition and reinstall to fix the chrystalis virus.

:)

After that I'm going to try and install a few things, like milkytracker and also
test how well or not well this runs classic games, demos and apps. So far my experience has not been positive. I hope tomorrow finds me liking this more...

Steven

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 23, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »
The ISO is "barren" for good reason, like some people having slow/capped internet access.

What IMO should be included (but probraly never will...) is geit's grunch (http://geit.de/eng_grunch.html) makes installing and updating SW quiet easy.

It also makes sure you're allwaysn on the newest version of those utube-scripts.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else