Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The MorphOS lust may soon be over...  (Read 6094 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
The MorphOS lust may soon be over...
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:07:35 AM »
After lusting over MorphOS for years... I'm finally getting a g4 mac to try it out. (hopefully this weekend)

A friend of mine has a g4 emac he's selling me for next to nothing.

What I want to do is FIRST before deciding to register it is test old games on it. For example, I want to test Super stardust aga and other AGA games and see how good the performance is. People have told me they can run any amiga games on morphos even with a 1.25ghz emac like I'll be getting and I just find that hard to believe. on a 2.0 ghz pentium pc aga games lag and work pretty crappy. Maybe powerpc is just that much better?

I want to try aga demos and all the old classic stuff too.

In short, I want to use morphos for my all things amiga box (new and old)

I don't want to see skipping frames, laggy sound or demos skipping scenes
because it can't keep up with an amiga 1200 from how many years ago...?

In short, i want ALL amiga software to work and work well, emulated or not.

I've been a big aros supporter for years but no really, I need a modern browser and other things aros just can't do. Besides this even on a 3ghz
aros box the performance of classic stuff is sometimes very %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!ty and that just kills my cool amiga experience.

So I am hoping to make the morphOS machine the machine I use for dos games through dosbox, classic amiga games, demos and apps...
Plus I'm hoping for SOME new software. I also want to control a windows xp extra box through remote desktop, use google docs for anything like that I need...

Watch youtube, email, telnet to bbs systems, (is there a telnet client for morphOS?) YES! I want the elusive every day machine...

If the 1.25ghz emac won't do what I need its a shame, those are kinda sexy even with the big honking crt. Anyhow, at least I'll get to finally try it and decide if buying a supported g5 mac would be a good option to finally get a box to do everything amiga... (and more!)

Please morphos guys, post your experience, let me know after install what I should install or add, what to do to tweak things and so on.

Aros is still rocking, and I hope the best for AROS, but I'm taking a journey to the blue camp for awhile...

:p
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:10:33 AM by haywirepc »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: The MorphOS lust may soon be over...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 04:04:12 AM »
The eMac will be too anemic power wise to impress or please you, IMO.

My first MOS experience was on a similar machine, and it left a very bad taste in my mouth.  But your mileage may vary.

I love MOS, but had I gone off first impressions on the eMac I tried it on first, I would have sworn off it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:07:33 AM by Duce »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 04:25:32 AM »
(Out of curiousity, what's in your AROS box? 3GHz suggests P4 to me, and if that's the case, it ain't AROS that's running like crap. Netburst sprints like a cheetah, but it corners like a yacht.)

Anyway, while the eMac is no great shakes (I'd check your local school and/or recycle center for a later Power Mac G4, you can get them for peanuts,) I have to say I've been pleasantly impressed by MorphOS - while it still fundamentally feels like an early-'90s OS (though in my mind that's no bad thing,) it's got a nice amount of polish and hangs together nicely.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »
If browser is the reason it may be a short journey ; )

Offline pVC

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759408

What I want to do is FIRST before deciding to register it is test old games on it. For example, I want to test Super stardust aga and other AGA games and see how good the performance is. People have told me they can run any amiga games on morphos even with a 1.25ghz emac like I'll be getting and I just find that hard to believe. on a 2.0 ghz pentium pc aga games lag and work pretty crappy. Maybe powerpc is just that much better?

I want to try aga demos and all the old classic stuff too.

As MorphOS itself doesn't emulate original Amiga's chipset, you have to use UAE for HW hitting games and demos. I think that platform doesn't affect to that that much, raw power is what counts mostly... and state of the emulator. Currently E-UAE doesn't have JIT like WinUAE, so don't expect miracles when comparing to it. But otherwise E-UAE from Fab is solid work as usual... and there is project getting JIT on it too, but it's in early beta stage.

I haven't used UAE much on any platform, but what I've tried few times, it's been OK on Mac mini at least.

In short, I want to use morphos for my all things amiga box (new and old)

New stuff which works directly under MorphOS without external emulator is very quick. Many apps do work, but games/demos supporting RTG/AHI are bit rarer. There are few good ones working nicely though. For demos I'll recommend to check this: http://amiga.bbs.fi/demopack_morphos/

I've been a big aros supporter for years but no really, I need a modern browser and other things aros just can't do.

MorphOS has the best browser situation of all amigaish platforms, but it still can't do everything what you can do on mainstream platforms. But for me it's been enough now and I haven't had to go on other systems for a long time. Be sure to update OWB to latest available version, because MorphOS itself comes with a bit old version currently. And update & take in use the external scripts too to get best performance from youtube etc (btw. watch videos in full screen (overlay) mode, that makes miracles to cpu usage).

Plus I'm hoping for SOME new software. I also want to control a windows xp extra box through remote desktop, use google docs for anything like that I need...

Those work nicely. MorphOS includes rdesktop and OWB should work with Google docs.

telnet to bbs systems, (is there a telnet client for morphOS?) YES! I want the elusive every day machine...

You have to use old Amiga telnet clients... AmTelnet or DCTelnet are ok for bbs use.

If the 1.25ghz emac won't do what I need its a shame, those are kinda sexy even with the big honking crt. Anyhow, at least I'll get to finally try it and decide if buying a supported g5 mac would be a good option to finally get a box to do everything amiga... (and more!)

Yeah, test it properly how you like it. I myself would rather take something else with modern display. I find MorphOS nice and enough for everything I want to do and having boosted up Amiga experience, but as an Amigan you know that you have to accept that you still can't do every single things you could do on mainstream OS.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline smf

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »
It sounds like you'll get much better performance for the same money if you invest in a new or used windoze machine with winuae.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
Quote from: Duce;759411
The eMac will be too anemic power wise to impress or please you, IMO.

My first MOS experience was on a similar machine, and it left a very bad taste in my mouth.  But your mileage may vary.

I love MOS, but had I gone off first impressions on the eMac I tried it on first, I would have sworn off it.

The eMac will be fine Steven.
My first machine was  slower 933MHz Quicksilver PowerMac.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »
Like I said, all a matter of perspective.  The base model eMac I tried MOS on performed about as well as a doorstop for me, and he did mention he wanted to try and use it and MOS as a daily driver PC.

Just my opinion that it doesn't have the grunt for that task, but again, YMMV based on perspective.

Good thing about MOS is you can try before you buy.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
If you with to run Amiga games in UAE 1.25. GHz can be little slow. YMMV but when it comes to emulation faster is better. PowerMac G4 at 2 GHz or G5 could be better but IMO real (basic) Amiga is the best for games and demos.

For Telnet you can use Term or AmTelnet.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline AmigaFreak

• Show only replies by AmigaFreak
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »
I have an eMac and I have MorphOS on it. It runs quite well, I have been testing MorphOS for a bit now and finally am registering it and I love it.
-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »
Quote from: AmigaFreak;759444
I have an eMac and I have MorphOS on it. It runs quite well, I have been testing MorphOS for a bit now and finally am registering it and I love it.

Yes, the machine I use daily is only slightly faster (a 1.42 GHzBook with only 32mb of vram).
It works fine.
I have two G5 PowerMacs, but for most uses they are overkill.

Running programs that require UAE can be more demanding.

So start with "friendly" programs first.

I know you (and you're smart, Steven), I think you'll dig it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »
First post from new emac. Still running osx. I think I changed my mind and will dual boot... Is there a tutorial somewhere for dual booting osx/morphOS?

Only a 40 gig drive in this thing though... How much space for MorphOS?

I am aware this thing may be too slow for some things, more interested in just testing MorphOS. If its too slow to smoothly run aga games and other intensive classic stuff, I will get a supported g5 mac before I register.

I don't like there registration being strapped to one machine... So I wouldn't want to register for this machine then find its too slow...

Steven

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 12:53:09 AM »
Okay booted from cd... But apparently owb does not work.

Can someone tell me how to set network in preferences? I'm using a wired network. osx autodetects and just works...

Do I have to do a hard drive install before networking works? Kinda wanted to check this out before commiting to install...

Steven

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 01:31:11 AM »
okay got network working. Don't have osx 10.4 install cds so I will have to
resize the partition with ubuntu to install.

does anyone know, can I use airport card or wifi in MorphOS? If not I will have to leave this machine downstairs next to my router and use a wired connection grrrr...

This emac has no airport card, is anyone using something I can get on ebay for wifi with morphOS?

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 01:43:28 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;759466
First post from new emac. Still running osx. I think I changed my mind and will dual boot... Is there a tutorial somewhere for dual booting osx/morphOS?

Only a 40 gig drive in this thing though... How much space for MorphOS?

I am aware this thing may be too slow for some things, more interested in just testing MorphOS. If its too slow to smoothly run aga games and other intensive classic stuff, I will get a supported g5 mac before I register.

I don't like there registration being strapped to one machine... So I wouldn't want to register for this machine then find its too slow...

Steven

1. There are nice dual boot guides out there check morphzone and maybe even official morphos site?

2. 40gb is plenty

3. Good idea on not reg on the emac, you will prolly want a better mac to register it to. Emac is one of the low end configs for morphos afaik.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs