Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wolfenstein 3D IS technically possible on stock A500 shocker!  (Read 11774 times)

Description:

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: Wolfenstein 3D IS technically possible on stock A500 shocker!
« Reply #74 from previous page: January 10, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;605122
AFAIK EGA was also planar based.
The Catacomb Abyss uses only ega and has texture mapping just like Wolfenstein 3d.
Yeah, I thought about that a few days ago. Too bad it's not open-source like Wolfenstein is.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »
Quote from: shoggoth;605362
@Changing a single pixel in a planar mode requires a shitload of instructions, whereas changing a chunky pixel requires 1 instruction.

Damn right - but changing 16 aligned consecutive pixels in planar mode requires the same amount of instructions. C2P from 16 chunky pixels in fast ram to chip RAM does save a lot of bandwidth over the worst case scenario.

It's just that pretty much any programmer would implement this - however C2P involves a lot of ORing and shifting - precisely what Akiko does for free on the CD32. I'm sure someone has done something fast with pre-calculated lookup tables but on a 7MHz 68000 it's still very heavy.

But doable in a smaller window, 2x1 pixels, lower framerate (not for action FPSes, but fine for RPGs), etc. If a 4MHz Z80 can render a semblance of Wolf3D graphics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COH55Uj53TY) then an A500 can as well.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;605372
But doable in a smaller window, 2x1 pixels, lower framerate (not for action FPSes, but fine for RPGs), etc. If a 4MHz Z80 can render a semblance of Wolf3D graphics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COH55Uj53TY) then an A500 can as well.

I definitely agree with you, but I just have to point out that your video example is not entirely real time - it's still far from from an interactive engine in that distances and texture coordinates are precalculated, as is explained in the video description. I'm sure you know this, but just before anyone else goes into a frenzy :)

Offline Hattig

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
Quote from: Linde;605375
I definitely agree with you, but I just have to point out that your video example is not entirely real time - it's still far from from an interactive engine in that distances and texture coordinates are precalculated, as is explained in the video description. I'm sure you know this, but just before anyone else goes into a frenzy :)

True, but we are talking about the rendering aspect at the moment, rather than the calculation aspect. :-) I expect the calculation will kill the Z80 version, and be tough on a 68000 even with lookup tables.

Offline shoggoth

• Show only replies by shoggoth
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;605372
Damn right - but changing 16 aligned consecutive pixels in planar mode requires the same amount of instructions. C2P from 16 chunky pixels in fast ram to chip RAM does save a lot of bandwidth over the worst case scenario.

Changing 16 aligned consecutive pixels in planar mode is fairly useless in a texturemapper in a typical Wolf3D scenario :) And I'm not sure it's true either - in chunky mode you'd do that with a single movem, but in planar mode you'll have to take into account that the bitplanes have a 32-bit interleave (copper interleave).

It's just that pretty much any programmer would implement this - however C2P involves a lot of ORing and shifting - precisely what Akiko does for free on the CD32. I'm sure someone has done something fast with pre-calculated lookup tables but on a 7MHz 68000 it's still very heavy.

It doesn't do it for free. You have to write 32 pixels and read them back, then copy them to the screen. I agree it's better, but it still stinks compared to having a real chunky mode.

But doable in a smaller window, 2x1 pixels, lower framerate (not for action FPSes, but fine for RPGs), etc.

Indeed! Wasn't Legends of Valour released for the Amiga?

If a 4MHz Z80 can render a semblance of Wolf3D graphics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COH55Uj53TY) then an A500 can as well.

I'm not sure it's a good comparison. The problem is not CPU speed, the problem is that the pixel format of the framebuffer isn't suited for that kind of stuff. The CPU has more than enough juice to do it.

Offline Hattig

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
What's "copper interleave" - the only references I can find on Google are this thread, and another post by you regarding Atari ST emulation on the Amiga?

It can't be relating to ILBM, as that's a file format that merely stores planar graphics on a row-by-row basis.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;605289
Not sure what you were replying to but what is the point of converting HAM to chunky?  Unless ofcourse you're trying to port graphics to another platform...and they were natively saved as HAM images...

HAM is used as a lossy image conversion/display when you need to display more colors with limited RAM.  The trade off for saving memory is you can only 'modify' 1 plane at a time.

It's 24bit Chunky that gets converted down to HAM for displaying purposes.  No one goes back the other way...

You seemed to be implying that planar pixels were somehow advantageous for implementing HAM. They're not; the HAM concept can work just as well if the pixels were planar or chunky. The code was just to demonstrate how a chunky 8-bit HAM mode might work (though in any real system you'd implement it in HW).

In fact, it might even be the case that it would take less logic to implement a chunky HAM system than a planar one.
int p; // A

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;605411
In fact, it might even be the case that it would take less logic to implement a chunky HAM system than a planar one.
Given that HAM is by necessity fixed at a certain bit-depth, there's certainly no advantage to its being planar (besides the relevant one for OCS, that it allows reuse of the existing planar hardware.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
The amount of epeen in this thread is growing rapidly.

/me sits back, grabs popcorn, and waits for someone to bring joyport polling into the equation.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;605411
You seemed to be implying that planar pixels were somehow advantageous for implementing HAM. They're not; the HAM concept can work just as well if the pixels were planar or chunky. The code was just to demonstrate how a chunky 8-bit HAM mode might work (though in any real system you'd implement it in HW).

Ah.

Well my point is if you have a 24bit chunky mode HAM is irrelevant.  HAM was only an advantage in the old days of limited RAM and inability to display lots of colors on the screen at once.  It's a lossy format...just like most people feel about 80% jpeg compressed images and 128kbps MP3's...

HAM is one piece of tech that can go the way of the dodo bird since about 1994.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2011, 07:37:56 PM »
given isa bus limitations and ocs superiority joystick polling is integral to the discussion. If you send 15 megs over the bus in vga snoopdog mode and 10msec later poll the joystick port, you get flashed by the planar chick. Amiga has Paula (i dated a girl named paula once, nice girl, nicccely chunky:) ) and you can poll the port every nth nanosecond.

with or without popcorn!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:46:33 PM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »
You do have to ask, Would Gary Busey poll the josystick port at such frequency tho? Stellan SkarsgÄrd might but would Gary Busey?
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline shoggoth

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;605401
What's "copper interleave" - the only references I can find on Google are this thread, and another post by you regarding Atari ST emulation on the Amiga

Ah. Clarification. On the Amiga, bitplanes are ordered consecutively (i.e. it's like multiple monochrome bitmaps layered on top of each other).

On the ST, they're interleaved (1 word from plane 0, followed by 1 word from plane 1, by one word from plane 2, one word from plane 3, one word form plane 0 ... etc).

Using the copper, it's possible to create something similar: 1 longword for plane 0, 1 longword for plane 1, 1 longword for plane 2, 1 longword for plane 3 etc. I suspect that it's fairly useless to do so however, and hence it's possible that the term "copper interleave" isn't very common at all.

Note: Word in this case is 16 bits, longword is 32 bits.

Offline shoggoth

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 11:25:35 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;605454
given isa bus limitations and ocs superiority joystick polling is integral to the discussion. If you send 15 megs over the bus in vga snoopdog mode and 10msec later poll the joystick port, you get flashed by the planar chick. Amiga has Paula (i dated a girl named paula once, nice girl, nicccely chunky:) ) and you can poll the port every nth nanosecond.

with or without popcorn!

lol :) It's just a matter of time now.