Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu  (Read 7216 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;603661
No, I didn't think you were promoting piracy, that is what some people see as a solution though. The thing is I don't thnk drm is going anywhere. What we will see is a period where we and they air the problems and a solution that takes everyones right into account will eventally evolve.
significant missteps like sony's securom and the lawsuits surrounding it help us iron out the (many) wrinkles, and legitimate grievances we have.
most companies realize that we are were thier income is coming from and do react to consumer pressure just like bioshocks publishers did. Most of peoples complaints disapeared when 2k games tweaked thier drm because of customer input.

I do agree if you want to partake in most media these days, you have to decide what level of DRM are acceptable for you. Most people seem to put things like Steam at one end, with invasive rootkits or similar things (Starforce) at the other end.

Commercially, its a balancing act between both extremes.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 05:05:09 AM »
"Have you not heard the news. Amiga is around today!
 And of course this will be in the new Amigas as standard...
 Therefore no need to catch up.

First of all, your the only known buyer of the cybernet zpc with a commodore sticker slapped on it that we know of, and you ended up
being the new "Chief technical officer" of this "company" which is a voicemail box at someone's house. That fact alone makes me laugh
everytime I hear anything from you.

Second of all, they already announced several other products that they backpedaled on and never released. All those products were someone else's computer with a new fancy name and a commodore sticker slapped on them. All those products dissapeared from the website without any explanation.

You stole parts of the first website direct from apple's website...

Your ceo threatened to sue osnews.com for stating facts...

Sounds like your new plan actually includes building pc's from components which I don't think you can technically handle, even though my 10 year old nephew can. Workbench? OS? Oh boy a ubuntu respin with amiga wallpapers too.  Show us something, or stop making announcements for things that will never be.

You made announcements claiming you had a 30 million dollar advertising budget and that ads would be on national televsion by the holidays. Gee I don't remember seeing any commodore ads... Oh thats right your own ad agency said they didn't even start filming anything yet.

Don't assume that anyone here wants to hear your bullshit. Ship some products and stop talking and making announcements.

Steven

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;603661
The thing is I don't thnk drm is going anywhere. What we will see is a period where we and they air the problems and a solution that takes everyones right into account will eventally evolve.

...or big money entities such as RIAA et al, could just continue to  do what they do best. Do whatever it takes to make a profit.

A solution may evolve, but it's unlikely to take everyone's rights in to account. There are not too many notable instances of that having happened in the arena of digital products. In many cases it seems two sides can't even agree on what constitutes a digital product and what is a right and what is not.
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 05:20:58 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;603700
You made announcements claiming you had a 30 million dollar advertising budget and that ads would be on national televsion by the holidays.

OMG!!! Was that really claimed? 30 million dollars! I just fell out of my chair and severely injured my stomach muscles from laughing so hard.

LoL! 30 Million.... lol!:smack:
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:20 AM »
"NEW YORK, NY and FT. LAUDERDALE, FL September 14, 2010 – Commodore USA announced today the selection of Korey Kay & Partners as its Agency of Record for Branding and Creative Development. Projected budget: $30 million.

After a three month agency search, Commodore USA President and Chairman Barry Altman selected the New York based agency to create and produce the integrated marketing programs for all Commodore USA brands, including Commodore and Amiga computers."

Of course, if you call the advertising agency place they will tell you they never even started filming ads yet and don't or won't confirm what the budget is. CUSA also stated there would be ads on national television by christmas, and that never happened.

I think calling CUSA or anyone associated with them a LIER isn't far off the mark...

Steven

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »
Quote from: vidarh;603624

I have no reason to avoid cable TV, as my cable provider lets me record and keep shows as long as I want.

The purpose of avoiding products with DRM is to prevent people from restricting how I use content I've paid for access to, and/or to reduce the acceptance of that DRM. Whenever DRM is used in a way that *only* prevents access by people who have not paid for it, I have no problems with it, what I have a problem with is DRM that restricts what I, as a paying customer, can do.

Funny, I still hate the way my cable TV content is controlled for me. I'd avoid them but they have a monopoly in my area so without them I've no TV. Yes, it allows me to record TV shows and play them back whenever I like, but only on my cable box which is a pretty poor quality unit with some shockingly bad design features. Previously, when it was cracked, I had a media device with the same functionality, only it also allowed me to stream and/or copy my recorded shows to any computer on my network as MPEG video, and to act as a media player to stream from the network. It also didn't need to be rebooted several times a week like the "official" unit or stutter when recording from one transponder while watching the other. Or randomly forget to record certain shows...

Oh well, such is progress I guess.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »
@Haywirepc

Personally I had been willing to give CommodoreUSA a chance to screw up befre I condemned them, but that changed with the personal attacks on both ClusterUK and Phoenixconsole (both of who actually *do* something for the amiga platform and arent all talk). The final icing on the cake was bigbentheaussie, quite proudly pasteing some information in a public forum (aw.net) that ClusterUK had told him, that was meant to be "secret" until that particular project was finished. Now that's not just bad business, but deplorable in general. This was also followed up but some rather baffling attempts to support his actions in that same forum incognito, but it was only half disguised anyway, very much like him wearing a bigbentheaussie suit.

Now as for the actual thread topic, Intel are a very well oiled machine these days, I suspect off the back of AMD giving them a bit of a scare around 2006. These days though theyre pretty much untouchable in the cpu market and credit where it's due, make a hell of a nice cpu. I must question the thread title though,...... Amiga has already had more than it's fair share of playing catch up.... 20 years or so of it, and things are just getting worse day by day. The best it can offer is a yet unrealeased system, who if benchmarks are any indication will struggle to compete with the absolute weakest, most budget cpu (about $30) available. Not to mention the weak ram (in modern terms) subsystem.
Seems absolutely crazy to delay a product for so long that was somewhat weak in the 1st place. 12 months in computer terms is a heck of a long time.

Yes, this is probably a bit negative, but it's disappointing to see what a screw up the NG Amiga has become. Amiga for me represented a nice, friendly system with good creative software and a good price (albiet never completely competitive performance). Sure the OS itself is fast on weak hardware, but the OS alone simply doesnt cut it for those sorts of prices. (I mean heck, even mobile phones can play HD video).

Each to thier own and whatnot, but I think I'll stick to the classics myself. At least they have some nice software, and they dont claim to be modern systems.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »
Quote from: AJCopland;603651
I think I can kinda see your argument but I'm not sure that it applies fairly here. How could Intel make a modern -useful- video encode/decode engine that didn't support allow for DRM signed media? It'd be completely useless since it's purpose is too play back common media like, DVD/Blu-ray/etc that are all DRM'd up the wazoo.

If Intel wasn't making it, and customer aren't buying it, then publishers would face a far harder choice. The only way of fighting this type of DRM is to direct your cash away from the DRM'd solution whenever available. If picking a certain type of DRM reduces their market even 5%, they'll think twice, or get trounced by any competitor that catches on, because losing even 5% of their sales will gut their margins.

That changes are possible is clear: Witness iTunes move towards offering most content without DRM.

I agree that DRM itself on movie and music is rubbish to the point of being offensive but it's a stupid reason for people (not necessarily yourself) to lambast Intel for adding a bunch of really cool and useful features to their hardware.

I don't particularly care - I just won't buy any CPU's with this functionality built in if I have any choice at all. Judging from reaction elsewhere, such as on Reddit, there are plenty others who are prepared to vote with their wallets and buy something else as long as they have reasonable choices.

I don't see this as important enough to make any really huge sacrifices for, but it is important enough that I'll happily avoid any content I can't get access to without it for the time being. There's enough good content out there that's not encumbered so badly that I can keep myself occupied for several lifetimes anyway.

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
All the more reason for Amiga OS to move over to x86. Amiga was designed as a desktop OS.
I'm not sure if you could poach a lot of AROS to speed up the process. Let's suppose it takes ten years... In ten years PowerPC (available to us) might advance one more generation, but x86 will advance probably six generations.
A computer is your entry point to the digital world, it would be nice to have a nice operating system to put on it.
It actually doesn't bother me if the two PowerPc OSes never come to x86, AROS seems to be gaining momentum and Windows is looking very one dimensional in it's approach. We may look back at this time, "That gawd awful Windows era."
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 12:20:17 PM »
Not sure how a new Intel chip affects the Amiga.  For all those whining about DRM and sneaky keyed decoding, you'd do well to investigate how much is inherently within your non Amiga OS's.  The big name OS's have been chock full of it for years.

90%+ of modern computer users don't know what DRM is, and don't care.  Sadly.  They want their AIM, Facebook and Gmail.

Aros doesn't run on 90% of the PC's I own, nor on my SAM 440, so it's as useless as a bag full of nipples to me regardless of what chips it runs on.  I've had nothing but misery out of Aros trying to run it on "modern" gear, and having to scour eBay for old video cards to run it, nah.  That being said, my recent experience with Morph was extremely pleasant, and OS 4 works great on the SAM.  I hope all AmigaOS variants continue to be developed for us grunts to fiddle around with, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for any of them to overtake Linux, OS X, or Windows.

I love the Amiga, and always will.  But anyone thinking a new chip, a new year, a new promise by C USA, A-EON that we're on the cusp of the Amiga retaking the computing world by storm is delusional.

There's no shame in enjoying hobbiest PC's, hell I bought a SAM.  Cost nearly 4x what my iPhone did, and I can't view half the web with it, my iPhone does more in terms of "modrn computing" than the SAM does.  I love it to death, but I'm also a realist.

Sorry to be a buzzkill :)

edit:  typos
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:22:59 PM by Duce »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
"Scour ebay for old video cards to work with it" seems an odd thing to think for someone whos happy with OS4.x. AROS supports hardware much, much more recent than anything OS4.x supports, and in a more thorough way. AROS supports (2d accelerated) more modern radeon cards than os4, it supports intel gfx (2d accelelerated), and supports hardware accelerated Nvidia cards both in 2d and 3d. And with hardware you can walk into a shop today and buy. Additionally most of the time AROS doesnt work on a PC is due to user fault. To say it works nicely on 50% of current pc gear out there is probably an understatement. I have 4 pcs, all of which aros works fine on (granted none are newer than a 3.86ghz core2duo, but 2 years ago that was one quarter of the price of a Sam system is nowadays that its 10x as powerful as (being kind to the SAM).

Enjoy whatever you like, I have no qualm with that, but some of your sentiments are somewhat pear shaped.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:22:19 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »
It's rubbishy DRM-infested crap, the hardware equivalent of Windoze Vista. I'll be giving Intel CPUs a miss from this point onwards.

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;603735
All the more reason for Amiga OS to move over to x86. Amiga was designed as a desktop OS.
I'm not sure if you could poach a lot of AROS to speed up the process. Let's suppose it takes ten years... In ten years PowerPC (available to us) might advance one more generation, but x86 will advance probably six generations.
A computer is your entry point to the digital world, it would be nice to have a nice operating system to put on it.
It actually doesn't bother me if the two PowerPc OSes never come to x86, AROS seems to be gaining momentum and Windows is looking very one dimensional in it's approach. We may look back at this time, "That gawd awful Windows era."

See that's the funny thing, at this current moment in time nobody really needs Windows at all (which is why Mac OS machines are selling so well now).

PC Gaming is dead (the only real reason you needed Windows).
Most stuff is web based activity like Facebook etc.
You can play movies/music on just about anything
You can even talk to MSN people on an Amiga
Torrenting is possible on anything with a reasonable speed CPU and LAN config.

So really if ChromeOS didn't have such a stupid GUI (a browser is your GUI!!!)

But nobody steps up to produce an alternative all-in-one solution for sale in shops other than Apple really.

How many people would actually wipe a 'free' copy of Windows from their PC to install a paid for replacement OS like AmigaOS x86 they had to buy in the grand scheme of billions of machines currently in use worldwide?

In that sense the free installs of AROS have the best chance of success, not MOS or OS4 converted to x86 IMO.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »
PC gaming is far from dead, lol.  Consoles have taken a large chunk of the market, but you'll notice that game developers are still publishing PC versions right along side of PS3 and 360 versions.

"Most stuff is web based activity like Facebook" is where the current Amiga's really fall behind.  Half the modern, "hip" web 2.0 stuff isn't usable due to browser weaknesses on the Amiga.  Developers are busting ass to remedy this on all the Amiga OS variants, thankfully.  OWB and Timberwolf on my SAM don't offer half of what IE 5 did back in 1999.  I can't even hit Gmail for my email needs in a reliable way on OS4.

There's a lot of promise in the Amiga OS variants on a hobby level regardless of what chips/platforms they run on.  But they will never end up being a modern "this is the sole PC I own and it does everything any other $200 Windows PC will do", no matter how you slice it, for 90% of people that use computers in modern ways.

There's still some people using mildly beefed up A1200's for their daily computer, so it's mainly about what a guy needs.  My "modern" Amiga (SAM) cannot even get my onto GMail or Facebook with proper HTML formatting or crashing, and until it does it's simply not a viable daily driver, sadly.

That being said, I've got zero shame about running old, slow hardware like the SAM and somewhat outdated OS like OS4 for nostalgia factor.

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »
The reality of the situation is for any machine/OS combo to be used by the masses you need....

Internet with all the bells and whistles (Flash CSS etc)
Clients for MSN etc for chat
CODECs and Players for every type of Audio/Video format imaginable (except WMV/WMA!)
Torrent clients

That's it really.

PC Games are nowhere, it is rare for the AAA titles from 360/PS3/Wii to get onto PC, but yes at present there are a few exceptions even if they run terribly and need 300% more expensive rigs to run on. I bet EA's sales revenue from PC sales is a nat's fart in the grand scheme of things, even compared to Apps Store iPhone game sales.

Me? I use KS 1.3/WB 1.3 because I don't need to only use an Amiga and surfing the web on Chrome removes 99% of the crappy Windows specific stuff I hate :)

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 04, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;603760

PC Games are nowhere, it is rare for the AAA titles from 360/PS3/Wii to get onto PC, but yes at present there are a few exceptions even if they run terribly and need 300% more expensive rigs to run on. I bet EA's sales revenue from PC sales is a nat's fart in the grand scheme of things, even compared to Apps Store iPhone game sales.

Conversely, I've found a few popular games which run far smoother and at higher resolutions and framerates on the PC than on, say, the XBOX360. True, the PC in question cost close to €900 to build, but it's also a mighty impressive Photoshop and video editing workstation, and emulates all machines up to GameCube and PS2 pretty effectively. Having said that, I prefer using consoles for my gaming due to the whole living room convenience aspect, and amongst my friends anyway it looks like consoles rule the average gaming market with only a few hardened, dedicated gamers using PCs
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com