Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu  (Read 7215 times)

Description:

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
Re: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
No, Nicholas, he said _Amiga_ is still around. Note the lack of a 's.' He's referring to CommodoreUSA's ownership of the Name. He then says "Amiga's will be..." and is make a prediction for the future. Don't confuse his enthusiasm with a lie.

That said, I think "orb85750" said it best.
Ed.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;603583
No, Nicholas, he said _Amiga_ is still around. Note the lack of a 's.' He's referring to CommodoreUSA's ownership of the Name. He then says "Amiga's will be..." and is make a prediction for the future. Don't confuse his enthusiasm with a lie.

They licensed the name. They don't own it.

Offline EDanaII

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »
Quote from: mongo;603587
They licensed the name. They don't own it.

Granted. That doesn't change my point any, however. :)
Ed.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »
Quote from: AJCopland;603567
It _can_ do DRM certified decoding, but that is not what the tech is for. ATI and NVidia GPUs can also be used with protected path (DRM) content. ALL modern video processing including ALL of the IGP used in laptops etc are capable in exactly the same way that this tech is.

That's no excuse for not avoiding it when/where you can - the problem is that the more widespread the capability is, the more likely content producers are to mandate its use, and thus reducing access to content for those of us who refuse to buy products that are effectively intentionally damaged.

It's a paradox that the movie industry, for example, wants us to pay lots of money for access to products that are usually *inferior* to the pirated versions (tons of trailers and obnoxious anti-piracy ads coupled with DRM making it harder to copy the movie to a media server etc.). They do their best to make it less attractive to give them money vs. breaking laws most people have little respect for (based on the amount of piracy).

They live in the past, and I have no intention of encouraging them. I spend far in excess than average on movies for example (500+ DVD's, all legally bought), but refuse to switch to Blu-ray until I can be 100% sure that I can easily continue to rip all the movies to my file server and play them on the various TV's and computers in my house.

It's not that I categorically refuse all DRM, but I do avoid products with functionality intended to support DRM whenever there are choices that don't support it, and aim to pick products with the weakest DRM/DRM support when I don't want to sacrifice too much (e.g. DVD over Blu-ray, because the protections on DVD are so weak they are useless)

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 07:58:17 PM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;603564
If you are so against DRM then I guess you never bought an XBox, Playstation or iPhone either then.
Heck, you better not have bought cable TV either..
I'm not saying I'm in love with the technology...but the horse has already bolted.

Your List:
Xbox (Cracked)
Playstation (Cracked)
Iphone(Cracked)
Cable TV( Was cracked...now not)

I will add another weak link

HDCP (Cracked)

The horse hasn't bolted. Its made of MPAA legal wood with a load of lawyers inside.

The problem for me is when I buy something I consider I own it. I don't consider I have licenced it, hired it or borrowed it for the weekend, the further these morons try to decide that content be it physically stored or not, belongs to them when I have bought it fair and square, the more I will spend good money to circumvent their stupidity.

I know this flies in the face of the good folk of the amiga community, but if I pay good money for something I expect to use it under my terms and conditions not theirs. f**k em!
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;603583

Perhaps tomorrow I will register Commodore Iran and Amiga Iran then announce future products based on x86 hardware and AROS.

There is diddly squat CUSA can do about it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;603564
If you are so against DRM then I guess you never bought an XBox, Playstation or iPhone either then.

I haven't, and I have no desire to, though for the XBox and Playstation that has nothing to do with DRM, rather that the games don't appeal to me. For the iPhone on the other hand it *does* have everything to do with the closed environment - I've no interest in ever getting an iPhone as long as it remains that way, I'll pick an Android phone any day.

Heck, you better not have bought cable TV either..
I'm not saying I'm in love with the technology...but the horse has already bolted.

I have no reason to avoid cable TV, as my cable provider lets me record and keep shows as long as I want.

The purpose of avoiding products with DRM is to prevent people from restricting how I use content I've paid for access to, and/or to reduce the acceptance of that DRM. Whenever DRM is used in a way that *only* prevents access by people who have not paid for it, I have no problems with it, what I have a problem with is DRM that restricts what I, as a paying customer, can do.

Thankfully most DRM on the market has already been cracked, but I'm still not going to throw money to the ones using it if I can avoid it without too big sacrifices (yeah, I'm not principled enough to avoid it at any cost, so sue me :) )

Offline EDanaII

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 10:59:28 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;603616
Perhaps tomorrow I will register Commodore Iran and Amiga Iran then announce future products based on x86 hardware and AROS.

There is diddly squat CUSA can do about it.

Granted. But that's a different subject from my original point. :) Leo's (possibly overly optimistic) enthusiasm is still not the same as a lie. I know you don't trust him, and I don't blame you, but it's not really fair to call it a lie.
Ed.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 11:11:47 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;603631
Granted. But that's a different subject from my original point. :) Leo's (possibly overly optimistic) enthusiasm is still not the same as a lie. I know you don't trust him, and I don't blame you, but it's not really fair to call it a lie.

True. Truth-stretching may have been a better adjective.

Stay tuned for an announcement of an announcement from Commodore Amiga Iran very soon!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 12:03:23 AM »
Vote with your wallets, dont buy into DRM'ed products. Don't torrent or pirate DRM'ed media either. Simply ignore the game, song, movie etc. Don't talk it up online, don't rave to your friends about how great it is.
Ignore it and let it die.

If you aren't refusing the machine, you are feeding it.

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 12:13:19 AM »
Quote from: vidarh;603593
It's not that I categorically refuse all DRM, but I do avoid products with functionality intended to support DRM whenever there are choices that don't support it, and aim to pick products with the weakest DRM/DRM support when I don't want to sacrifice too much (e.g. DVD over Blu-ray, because the protections on DVD are so weak they are useless)

I think I can kinda see your argument but I'm not sure that it applies fairly here. How could Intel make a modern -useful- video encode/decode engine that didn't support allow for DRM signed media? It'd be completely useless since it's purpose is too play back common media like, DVD/Blu-ray/etc that are all DRM'd up the wazoo.

Sure it's nice that other decoders/encoders will take advatange of it, and it'll be an awesome boon for resync'ing a lot of poorly encoded Anime I watch :) but that's not it's point and it's ability too support DRM'd media is only a tiny fraction of it's functionality.

No-one is making anything that doesn't support it anymore because if they want to be of _any_ use to most people then it's got to be in there :(

I agree that DRM itself on movie and music is rubbish to the point of being offensive but it's a stupid reason for people (not necessarily yourself) to lambast Intel for adding a bunch of really cool and useful features to their hardware.

Andy
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Quote from: runequester;603648
Vote with your wallets, dont buy into DRM'ed products. Don't torrent or pirate DRM'ed media either. Simply ignore the game, song, movie etc. Don't talk it up online, don't rave to your friends about how great it is.
Ignore it and let it die.

If you aren't refusing the machine, you are feeding it.

Voting with your wallet doesn't work, if even 5% refuses to buy a prodect because of drm there is still 10% that is busy cracking and copying it. who do you think they pay attention to. People who ignore the drm will talk it up, and if it is good it will sell.

What we need to do is what we did with Bioshock, complain the heck out of it till the publisher realizes they need to take legitimate customers needs into account. Piracy, drm circumvention etc. won't do that, it will only make things worse.

The music, games, and movie industries are slowly finding ways to make things better. I buy movies many times that have digital copy for example. Is it perfect, no, but it is getting better. Most companies are interested in legitimate customer complaints.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:42 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;603656
Voting with your wallet doesn't work, if even 5% refuses to buy a prodect because of drm there is still 10% that is busy cracking and copying it. who do you think they pay attention to. People who ignore the drm will talk it up, and if it is good it will sell.

What we need to do is what we did with Bioshock, complain the heck out of it till the publisher realizes they need to take legitimate customers needs into account. Piracy, drm circumvention etc. won't do that, it will only make things worse.

The music, games, and movie industries are slowly finding ways to make things better. I buy movies many times that have digital copy for example. Is it perfect, no, but it is getting better. Most companies are interested in legitimate customer complaints.

I think you are actually saying some of the same things I was, namely that pirating the game still promotes it. I wasn't advocating piracy at all.

The usual outcome at least for games seems to be that the company eventually makes the DRM ever so slightly bad, and people cheer and feel they won.

Corporate conclusion: Games with DRM sell just fine, we can always give them 2 more activations when they start complaining.

Not sure if there's a real solution under the current model. Effectively right now, we have a setup where people (60% of the user base for applications, likely closer to 10% for games and music) pay for media because they chose to do so.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 01:07:25 AM »
No, I didn't think you were promoting piracy, that is what some people see as a solution though. The thing is I don't thnk drm is going anywhere. What we will see is a period where we and they air the problems and a solution that takes everyones right into account will eventally evolve.
significant missteps like sony's securom and the lawsuits surrounding it help us iron out the (many) wrinkles, and legitimate grievances we have.
most companies realize that we are were thier income is coming from and do react to consumer pressure just like bioshocks publishers did. Most of peoples complaints disapeared when 2k games tweaked thier drm because of customer input.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:21 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;603661
No, I didn't think you were promoting piracy, that is what some people see as a solution though. The thing is I don't thnk drm is going anywhere. What we will see is a period where we and they air the problems and a solution that takes everyones right into account will eventally evolve.
significant missteps like sony's securom and the lawsuits surrounding it help us iron out the (many) wrinkles, and legitimate grievances we have.
most companies realize that we are were thier income is coming from and do react to consumer pressure just like bioshocks publishers did. Most of peoples complaints disapeared when 2k games tweaked thier drm because of customer input.

Agreed, the market will balance itself out eventually. It always does.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 04, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;603661

I do agree if you want to partake in most media these days, you have to decide what level of DRM are acceptable for you. Most people seem to put things like Steam at one end, with invasive rootkits or similar things (Starforce) at the other end.

Commercially, its a balancing act between both extremes.