Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forefront tech. inc.  (Read 2254 times)

Description:

Offline TheJackalTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheJackal
Forefront tech. inc.
« on: October 28, 2003, 02:07:52 PM »
Hi,
   I just noticed this site:
forefront technologies inc.

And for the following spec:
Memory:
 512MB - Kingston 512MB PC133 ECC Reg 1GB - Kingston 1GB PC133 ECC Reg [+$210.00]

Video card:
 ATI Radeon 9200 128MB DDR AGP8X ATI Radeon 9000

Sound card:
 - None - [-$56.00] Creative Sound Blaster Live! Dolby Digital 5.1

Hard disk 1:
 Seagate Barracuda 40GB ATA/100 7200rpm

Optical drive 1:
 LGE 52x EIDE CDROM drive

Chassis:
 InWin S506 midtower ATX12V 3-5.25/4-3.5 bays USB 300watt

Floppy drive:
 Teac 1.44MB 3.5" internal floppy disk drive

Input devices:
 Logitech PS/2 keyboard & wheel mouse

---------------------------------------
totaling $1,350.00 (approx ~£800 ukp );

But since this is a US site, what about taxes/shipping? Also who are these guys? Anyone had dealings with them? Whats the support like? And so on. (Since I dont want my money to go 'walkies' ;-) )

Also are there any suggestions about the above config? e.g. the gfx card, since I've lost track of most brands other than GeForce (all machines at work have Geforce 2+, that how I know about them).

I dont think I'd buy a system until OS4 is out, since linux et al, just give me the shivers. (bad experience from uni with *inx machines, just cant stand loads of command lines!)

Funny thing is, when I do (depending on OS4) buy a machine, it will probably just end up running workbench, dpaint V and Wordworth 7! (until more apps are written/I can write some decent apps).

btw: why wont my sig get attached? [edit] its there now![/edit]

\\"Don\\\'t make me dance,.... You wouldn\\\'t like me when I dance.\\" - The Hulk

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Forefront tech. inc.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 02:12:11 PM »
Hi! Forefront Tech is probably a pretty safe bet. One of the pricipals of the company that I know of is a very long term member of the Amiga community and I have never heard anything bad about them. On top of that they are the ones providing Radeon drivers for OS4 and have recently shown them working.

IMHO they are probably a safe bet:-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 02:30:38 PM »

by redrumloa on 2003/10/28 14:12:11

Hi! Forefront Tech is probably a pretty safe bet. One of the pricipals of the company that I know of is a very long term member of the Amiga community and I have never heard anything bad about them. On top of that they are the ones providing Radeon drivers for OS4 and have recently shown them working.

IMHO they are probably a safe bet

Hi,
  Right ta. Anyone with experience with them sending stuff to the UK, and paying? ( ie accept switch, taxes...).

\\"Don\\\'t make me dance,.... You wouldn\\\'t like me when I dance.\\" - The Hulk

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 02:33:56 PM »
i think u will loose alot of moeny here , if it gets stopped in the customs _(u live in the uk right?) then you will have to pay tax , and tax aint cheap , remeber that!

cheers
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 02:36:49 PM »
A website that gave concise explanations of the entire Radeon range would be much appreciated.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 02:43:26 PM »
by lempkee on 2003/10/28 14:33:56

i think u will loose alot of moeny here , if it gets stopped in the customs _(u live in the uk right?) then you will have to pay tax , and tax aint cheap , remeber that!

Exactly!

The info I'm looking for is do they sort out the tax and shipping or is that left to daft sods like me? Also I'd guess the price includes US taxes, how does this "interact" with uk taxes (17.5%). After all I dont want to pay tax twice!

Or simply is there a UK vendor who will build like spec systems? Would make life easier.

A website that gave concise explanations of the entire Radeon range would be much appreciated.

closest I could find was this  site. But a clear table would be better.

Thanks for the replies btw. ;-)

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 02:55:42 PM »

lempkee wrote:

cheers

When the guys from forefront send the package, just get them to giftwrap it, and write on the label that it is a gift, and is valued at under $50.  That way you will not have to pay any import duty or VAT when it is brought into the UK.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 03:02:13 PM »
If I were to buy a PCMCIA Echo Indigo IO soundcard from Florida, they will send it tax free.

In the UK this card casts £199, in florida it costs $164
Which works out to be about $100... that has to be thought about with $24 shipping...

which comes to £115... if it doesn't get stopped at customs, sweet!!!

If it does, then is would come to £135.13 (assuming it is 17.5% tax can any one confim thins?).

Either way, one has made quite a saving!!!

-Edit- Any one know what Import duty is?

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 03:03:23 PM »
You will have to pay import duty and VAT plus royal mail release fee.

Import duty is between 5% and 9% depending on the value and the class of the item you are importing also the postage to the UK you have paid.

Rough Example

If customs and excise decide to charge you 5%

£800 + shipping say £50

Total £850

Import duty @ 5% £42.50

Then VAT on £892.50
= £156

+ £4 or £8 release fee from royal mail or parcel force

So expect a £206 bill when its delivered.

Bringing it to £1056 pound in total
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 03:10:56 PM »
@JurassicCamper

Thanks for the info.

:whack:tax [grumble]:whack:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 03:30:30 PM »
Also I'd guess the price includes US taxes, how does this "interact" with uk taxes (17.5%).

The price you see will be the price you pay. In the USA you don't pay tax unless you are in the same state as the company, outside of the US you don't pay US tax either.

Whatever the UK may hit you with in duties I have no idea.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 04:17:38 PM »
@redrumloa

That is only true until Saturday.  Then the local state sales taxes are applicable in several areas, including Florida I'm sad to mention.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 05:30:37 PM »
But since this is a US site, what about taxes/shipping

I don't know what shipping from the USA to UK is like, but I ordered a Power Tower and some other bits and pieces from the UK and had them shipped to the States and it came to around 40 quid for the shipping and handling (it will be one hell of a big heavy box remember) - so add around $65-$70 to the price...
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 05:31:43 PM »
@Downix

Links?

FDOR states nothing about Florida seller collecting sales tax for out of state internet sales.

This would obviously be a very big deal for me :-o

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 08:44:12 PM »
@redrumloa

I'll look it up.  But it would not be that big a deal, it would apply only to things purchased, not sold, in your case.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.