Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another try: Future of MorphOS? (yes MorphOS only)  (Read 1377 times)

Description:

Offline restore2003Topic starter

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
Another try: Future of MorphOS? (yes MorphOS only)
« on: October 26, 2003, 07:47:13 PM »
Since users are strongly divided between Amiga and MorphOS, here is a new twist.

This is the MorphOS users chance to tell their opinion.

:-D
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: Another try: Future of MorphOS? (yes MorphOS only)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 08:04:09 PM »
@ everyone

Only reply if you've got something useful to say.  Mindless advocacy/bitching will be deleted.

Offline NicoPPC

• Show only replies by NicoPPC
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 08:09:47 PM »
MorphOS.

Offline restore2003Topic starter

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 08:12:19 PM »
What exactly is the goal of MorphOS? what direction will it take? How will it attract users?
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 08:24:49 PM »
What exactly is the goal of MorphOS? what direction will it take? How will it attract users?

To provide a modern amiga like os that is compatable and is very fast and responsive with all the features of any other os .It will atract users who like there amigas and want a newer and faster replacement that can run there existing software . :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 09:14:07 PM »
I can`t see why Genesi wants DE ported to MorphOS.
DE was a good idea at the time, but I don`t see any point in it today.
 IMHO, MorphOS is good enough to be able to use its own merits to promote it, rather than keep using the A***a name( Didn`t BBRV also want the Atari name at one point??)
 I`d also like to know what benefits there are for writing MorphOS native apps over OS4 apps, and what sort of things are planned for the future.
 The idea of MorphOS running on a handheld, such as the planned Eclipsis really appeals to me, I hate WinCE (or whatever MS are calling it this week), and the PalmOS is just fustrating.

Hopefully now the PegII is available, things will start to pick up again. I`m waiting for a review of the PegII to help me make my mind up between a Mac and  a Peg as I`m ditching Windows by Xmas, surely there should be one by now??
 If not, then I`ll do one if Genesi can loan me one  ;-)
On schedule, and suing

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 10:12:58 PM »
@restore2003

First thing to remember, MorphOS by itself is useless.  What can you do with an OS and no hardware to run it on?  Or no apps to run on it?  What needs to be discussed and explored is the combination of hardware, software, and most of all, the end user.  It is at this last point that the big-3 of Windows, Macintosh and Linux/UNIX have always failed.  Windows sold to the lowest-common demoninator, Macintosh to a singular vision of the future, and the UNIX-alikes to hardware-banging geeks.  What Amiga always strove for, instead, was making a system that, rather than presenting a vision to you, offered you a blank canvas, some paint and a brush to then create your own vision.  MorphOS, showing it's roots, works in the same vein, offering the foundations but not forcing it's landscape before your eyes.  As a result, what it can do is limited solely to what the imagination of the end-user is.  It is a user-centric approach to computing, and it is very exciting because it has come after the last great user-centric OS, BeOS, has blown away in the dust.  But MorphOS offers a better opportunity than Be did.  When Be began, it had 1 of the two supplimental parts, the hardware, but no software to make it usable by you and me.  MorphOS, by it's Amiga heritage, comes into it's own fully fitted with a legion of applications.  Some might be old, some might be dusty, but wars have been won using the leftovers found in a war colleges museum.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 11:37:45 PM »
I think .. (I don't work at Genesi) they goal is to make MorphOS one of those OS:es runnable on Pegasos. In a way it can have it's fair share of uses and users. It's not so much groundbreaking revolution.. it's more like years of hard work and evolution from -85 AMigaOS to new Century.

Genesi have taken a lot of important steps to help people to use MorphOS as main OS. Besides spending great time and effort on making it compatible for old programs they have also spend a lot of time/money and energy to create good possibilities for new programs to rise. One important work has been devseeding. They have offered free machines to selected people/companies in hope to see more work new software and products. They have also made deals woth numerous software makers to make their products (as full, or lite version) to become part of MorphOS packagem, for example: Mui, Poseidon, Turboprint and Voyager  are well known Amiga softwares that are fully Regged on each MorphOS. Many other programs are lite-versions, like FxPaint, FxScan, etc.. They have also taking great effort on making essential building blocks like PPC native AREXX and JAVA. And being imporatant to many users, there is (genesi supported) work going on for Papyrys-Office.. With Office suite, more people can take MorphOS as their main system.

User attraction.. So far, mostly by demostrating machines to people intereted at computer fairs, word by mouth, organizing user groups... This ain't so big yet (well. Being in CES was a biggie), but you'll have to remember this was quite enough to sell all those machines that have been made so far. I'm quite sure they'll have someting interested coming up when production/sales volumes start to increase.  

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 02:17:28 AM »
MophOS is just a great high performance, low size AmigaOS like OS that I can run on my desktop today!
It will be great to program on, and see my stuff running on fast hardware! :-)

It's future:  It will probably be everywhere. I hope to see it information terminals, set top boxes, ...everywhere! It's a much better solution than linux for many uses IMHO.

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 12:46:40 PM »
One important thing on attraction is to be able show working Software.

For example paint and image manipulation softwares..
Note, for these tests of mine no Classix-chipset emulation has been used, plain GyberGfx + 68-Jit with MorphsoS 1.4 and Pegasos 1  

Current 68k-Amiga version of ImageFX (Nova Desing) has been shown on numerous public demonstratios and there is upcoming MorphOS-version coming up (and Lite for free bundle). FxPaint (IoSpirit) is also on active development and has extended version for MorphOS.

Of older programs I have installed/run TV Paint 3.59 (-95), ArtEffect 4.07 (-2000), Personal Paint 7.1 (-97). Of these three TVP and AE seems to work quite well as far as I have tested them, but OTOH I'm not professional artist nor do I have years of experience of these programs on 68K Amigas.. Also there have been talks of Dpaint V been (at least partially) successfull run on Pegasos + Mos.

Biggest disappointment at this point has been Perfect Paint 2.93.. Even though it's new software and under active development it don't seem to be fully compatible. I have not checked the cause, but I have heard it's made with programming language that depends a bit too much on directly accessin classix hw.