Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:  (Read 4238 times)

Description:

Offline Dan

• Show all replies
Re: The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:
« on: August 16, 2003, 06:10:34 PM »
I don´t think the Pegasos is aimed at the average customer. Hasn´t they said  repeatedly that it´s aimed at developers, powerusers and as a geektoy.
It´s the STB that aimed at consumers.
Perhaps the question should be why would an nondeveloper and nonamigauser get a Pegasos?
Linux?
I don´t think so, the VIA miniitx boards are cheaper if you want just a cool and quiet linuxbox.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Dan

• Show all replies
Re: The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 12:20:39 PM »

tumash wrote:
Cymric:
perhaps a little more stable, although I have heard good stories about XP and 2000.

And I've seen it with my own eyes - I use Windows XP and my recent uptime was 14 days -- turned it off during heavy thunderstorm. And my friend, a Pegasos user hasn't seen uptime longer than 1.5hour on his MorphOS.. so it all depends. Surely we can't generalize that Windoze is clumsy, hangs a lot and (quasi)AmigaOS is great, fast and stable etc... that simply all depends

Have to agree with that, in my experience WinXP is not fast  or resource effective but it is the most stabel windows i have run yet. No nasty win95/98-like crashes yet and lockups are maybe once a month. But it IS memory hungry. On the other hand if my amiga crashes it doesn´t matter because of instant reboot and I have never lost any work because it doesn´t crash if you don´t experimnet with it.
Autocrash was an win3.1/win95 feature  :-D

I doubt that linuxusers will buy a pegasos as their main machine, they tend to have big x86s if they just use linux. And as a secondary machine for personal/home server any old x86 tincan will do.

Selling as server to companies is doable but then it has to be in an easy to use package out of the box not a bare board.

The market at the moment IS the "geek toy" market.
First and foremost it´s amigausers.
But if we could get it to be the primary hardware choice for BeOS users it would be a bigger "geekmarket"
Why isn´t there any atari-people interested in the pegasos hardware?
They are stuck with m68k just like the amigausers was or even more so since they never got any PPCcards.
And please don´t reduce the number of available IO-ports put some more on there instead  :-)

QNX on the other hand seems to have much more of an  commercial application for OEMs.

I don´t think the Pegasos is the way to launch MorphOS as a mainstream OS. For this the STB is much more important.
Its kind of like with the A500 it was the games that was the selling point not the OS.
The STB could and should be all those things Commodore wanted with the CDTV.  
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!