Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:  (Read 4234 times)

Description:

Offline KennyR

• Show all replies
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:
« on: August 16, 2003, 01:16:29 PM »
Physically speaking, the Pegasos is quiet, runs very cool, and offers a much better motherboard for special applications than any x86 board does. For example, if you wanted to build a hardware router, you could use Debian on a Pegasos and have a totally quiet machine, use NetBSD on a cut down 486 and have a totally quiet but slow as hell machine useless for most modern apps, or finally use a modern PC and have something that sounds like a chainsaw and makes the room 5C hotter. Imagine running that 24/7!

MOS itself is just a pleasant alternative to AmigaOS, it's not aimed at other markets, and will probably only appeal to Amiga users. MOS is being used to sell Pegasos to the Amiga market. It's expandable and may be a great OS one day, but one shouldn't think its the only (or even major) selling point for the Pegasos.

And there is always MOL for those who want to get an Apple Mac for less than £2500...

Offline KennyR

• Show all replies
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 12:59:28 AM »
tumash wrote:

Surely we can't generalize that Windoze is clumsy, hangs a lot and (quasi)AmigaOS is great, fast and stable etc... that simply all depends

I agree. It depends on how an OS is used an what software is run on it, and the drivers. My own experiences are completely opposite to yours; MOS here easily runs for days with not a single reboot, while Windows XP bluescreens every day, losing yet more data. I'm told its the VIA drivers...but I can't fix them. On the other hand, Pegasos also has VIA issues...