Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS users.. do you like your OS?  (Read 4872 times)

Description:

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
Re: MorphOS users.. do you like your OS?
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »
I had one couple years ago ... actually had Peg1 first which was upgraded to Peg2 (sold it 2004 when found a project where it was badly needed)..

Hardware was good (this coming from HW designer) and I have never problems in it. Software was ok for what it was.. Gui works, and Shell is what's it supposed to be. There were not many commercial grade games/apps at the time but if you are used to get by what's available to Amiga systems it's not bad.

It was kinda amazing to see how seamlessly it could run new PPC stuff and older (often over decade old) 68K programs (yes, Mos had working Jit allready). Pitty though there were no decent web browser (still at works?) and some other apps I had accustomed to have (like M$ compatible text editor+spreadsheet) were lackin when comapared to most common OpenSouce variants.. But It's something a lot people can live with.  

Would I purchase one again? Perhaps, someday.

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 10:55:09 PM »
If/when MOS 2.0 is released for the EFIKA, i will surely get a preconfugured box. Hopefully the price for one will be around 350 euros. Did MOS team keep on working on MOS after communication frose between them and Genesi (... and before they resumed) or they just put the whole project on ice? I'm asking this because MOS 1.5 (with serious improvements over 1.4) was expected, sometime around 2004. It didn't happen. If during these 3 years, they continued to hammer on MOS then MOS 2.0 should be light years ahead of the previous releases (and any other competition for that matter) with stuff like the Q/BOX, Altivec or even maybe 64-bit G5 support....  ;-)
The new Megadeth album rules!

Offline guru-666Topic starter

• Show only replies by guru-666
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »
@xeron
Not everbody will be happy all the time... there is no perfect world but it would appear that the next gen amiga OS has been released quite a while ago and any lamenting by bill m is just sour grapes from a looser and has no impact on the community. The community does not need (many don't want) Inc.  I suggest we ignore them.  If they come back with a working os4 that is better than morph they can sell it and find out who cares.  But to suggest that we need them or that they are important into days amiga market is a lie. There is no need to give them 20 question or special attention.  There patents are to old to matter anymore. Just so you guys know I don;t see red and blue I just see thing sthat work and things that don't... it's all amiga to me.

Offline AmiDelf

• Show only replies by AmiDelf
    • http://www.amitopiatv.com
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 11:30:33 PM »
Here is my MorphOS screenshot, downgraded from 1680x1050 to 800x600.

1680x1050: My MorphOS in 1680x1050

I have my PegasosII connected to my Dell 22 inch LCD widescreen monitor. MorphOS gives such an brilliant picture. Better than OSX on my PowerBook, but that can be PowerBooks GeForce gfx which arent that good in 2D as ATI. I dont know.

I hope that some likes the screenshot.

Regards,
Michal
I love and respect people which care! And not those with
a heart made of stone.

Offline Damion

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2007, 11:33:17 PM »
I sold my Pegasos several years ago, and even then MorphOS was fun, also fairly stable and useable. (I've
said it a million times here before, but I *loved* ANR.) The Pegasos was a nice machine, worked well and did everything
it was supposed to. I understand others feel differently (and I certainly respect the opinion of a certain few who do), but my overall experience with Genesi was positive. They even express shipped my board, international UPS, *for free*.

That said, I don't think I'd blow a huge wad of cash again to run MorphOS. For a fast AmigaOS experience I have
AROS, UAE, and my GVP A530 Turbo, LOL. ;-) However, I will buy an Efika if MorphOS is released for it. Don't think I could go wrong at that price, especially for what I'd use it for.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 11:33:36 PM »

motorollin wrote:

I'm thinking of selling the PegII, even though for some reason I want to hold on to it :-?

--
moto

Hold on to that Peg, Moto. Trust me. ;)
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline djbase

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »
@ AmiDelf

Nice Desktop.  8-)

Here is mine -> click click click

AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline guru-666Topic starter

• Show only replies by guru-666
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »
sweet screen shots!  Thanks guy this is very interesting to me!  Looks VERY amiga to me.   I guess if anybody wnat to chime in and tell me what makes os4 better than this that would be interesting also

Offline Edpon

• Show only replies by Edpon
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2007, 03:10:11 AM »
@guru-666
  I'm starting to see the light man. I've been quietly watching for years, for Amiga / Hyperion / Eyetech to release an "Amiga" or a very Amiga feeling computer. Lately, I've been watching Genesi and their Efika very closely. I'm about a mouse click away from buying this cool computer. The only thing I worry about is the reversing, if you will, of CPU power and lack of DVD/CD drive. I was also told by a sales rep, that MorphOS should be shipping/downloadable by the middle of this month to go with it. The $399 Open Client Plus seems like a evenly matched computer, compared to the newly released Amiga specs; plus MorphOS is free and does look beautiful. I do have 2 questions for you and any other experienced MorphOS user;
1- Does MorphOS allow me to use my current 68K Amiga software, my disks in a added disk drive or some other way?
2- Does MorphOS truely "feel" like an Amiga did in the past? Because it sure looks like a fun OS
Thanks man.

Ed
 :-D  :-?  :-D
Amiga 500
AmigaOne 500
CommodoreUSA Amiga Mini i3

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2007, 03:41:08 AM »
@ Edpon

Ooo, nice to hear about dates for MOS. Anyway, your questions (you'll get pretty much identical answers for OS4 as well)

1. Software: Yes, if it's system friendly. Old games need UAE. Disks will not work - there are no drivers for the Catweasel and the onboard floppy controller is a PC style one. If you make ADFs of your old disks you can use the images with something like diskimage.device, however.

2. Amiga feel: Absolutely. I switch between MOS and OS3.9 without having to switch operating mindsets like I do when switching between MOS and Linux. Taking the title out of consideration, you'll never know the difference.

Offline AmigaMance

• Show only replies by AmigaMance
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2007, 04:20:07 AM »
@rzookol
...a1200 ppc 240 mhz + bvision (i have only morphos on my amiga + Whdload games, no os3.x).

What? I thought that WHDLoad doesn't work with MorphOS. :-?
 Perhaps this applies to peg users only??
A1200 PPC user.

Offline Damion

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2007, 04:52:19 AM »

AmigaMance wrote:
@rzookol
...a1200 ppc 240 mhz + bvision (i have only morphos on my amiga + Whdload games, no os3.x).

What? I thought that WHDLoad doesn't work with MorphOS. :-?
 Perhaps this applies to peg users only??

Yeah, I'm assuming lack of an Amiga chipset on the Pegasos is your reason.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2007, 05:21:49 AM »
I loved it but regret that I gave my Peg I board back.  I should of just kept it.  It is so freakin fast/responsive.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 05:40:20 AM »
I like to use MorphOS on my both machines (Pegasos II G4 and Efika) and also like to make it better :-).

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 07:27:03 AM »
I succeded in running the 1st PUP version on my 1200/bppc/grex setup... it was just an empty OS

Well, in that sense it resembles any other Amiga OS IMHO. How would you describe a fresh install of OS 3.1? ;-)

What you have after install is a foundation on which you can build whatever you want, the way you want it. Just like any Amigan should be used to do, right? But maybe some Amigans have had their classic systems running for such long time now, with a decade of extending it, installing new apps, patches, etc, that they have forgotten that what they actually got after they made their latest fresh install was nothing more than "just an empty OS"... ;-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 04, 2007, 07:29:03 AM »
2. Amiga feel: Absolutely. I switch between MOS and OS3.9 without having to switch operating mindsets like I do when switching between MOS and Linux. Taking the title out of consideration, you'll never know the difference.

That sums it up pretty good IMHO! :-)

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)