Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ASUS vs GIGABYTE + RDRAM question  (Read 1188 times)

Description:

ASUS vs GIGABYTE + RDRAM question
« on: January 24, 2003, 11:07:26 PM »
Definitely off-topic but here is my question ...

I'm looking into a new P4 mobo with 850 (latest) chipset. I'm considering one of ASUS P4T533-C or GYGABYTE GA-8IHXP as the top-end. The ASUS motherboard is much more expensive (~ AU$100 more) and is missing many features present on the GYGABYTE board eg. LAN, sound, RAID controller, etc. I noticed that ASUS mobo is used a lot in performance benchmarking at www.tomshardware.com - am I right to assume that it is a more 'serious' product? Apparently, with ASUS board it is very easy to set low-level system configuration ie. it's great for overclocking. Does anyone had any experience with one of these two boards?

Also, can someone explain to me a difference between ECC and non-ECC Rambus RAM (RDRAM)? Which of the two would provide a better performance?
I noticed, some suppliers claim 800 MHz RDRAM modules :-? - in fact isn't that PC800@533 MHz module? I'm yet to see any PC1200@600 MHz modules here in Australia. :-x

Well, that's all  :-D

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: ASUS vs GIGABYTE + RDRAM question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 11:17:01 PM »
Also, can someone explain to me a difference between ECC and non-ECC Rambus RAM (RDRAM)? Which of the two would provide a better performance?

i forget the difference, but ECC is better i belive

I noticed, some suppliers claim 800 MHz RDRAM modules  - in fact isn't that PC800@533 MHz module? I'm yet to see any PC1200@600 MHz modules here in Australia.

the 800 IS 800MHz, but RDRAM has a much narrower bus than SDRAM

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 11:26:45 PM »
As I understand, RDRAM has better throughput (ie. Gb/sec)  than SDRAM although it is 16-bit wide???

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 11:33:00 PM »
id does not nescesarliy have greater throughput, there are a number of variables determining the speed
2 of the main ones are clockspeed and buswidth
generaly you can get a rough idea of the speed by multiplying the two, then compare the numbers
except that with DDR, remember that you have to double the actual clock speed

the best way to know how they perform is to look at bench marks, or try them out, because there is always the theoretical performance, & then theres the real performance, your after the real performance...

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 11:34:18 PM »
I'm looking into a new P4 mobo with 850 (latest) chipset. I'm considering one of ASUS P4T533-C or GYGABYTE GA-8IHXP as the top-end. The ASUS motherboard is much more expensive (~ AU$100 more) and is missing many features present on the GYGABYTE board eg. LAN, sound, RAID controller, etc. I noticed that ASUS mobo is used a lot in performance benchmarking at www.tomshardware.com - am I right to assume that it is a more 'serious' product? Apparently, with ASUS board it is very easy to set low-level system configuration ie. it's great for overclocking. Does anyone had any experience with one of these two boards?

Hmm...  Tom's Hardware is based out of the good ole' USA...  Here, ASUS MB's are only a few dollars more than the Gigabyte ones, so that does have something to do with it.  Also, ASUS is more overclock-friendly on most of their products, and Tom LOVES to mess with settings.

From observation, I'd say they are of similiar quality, though.  Personally if the Gigabyte is that much cheaper, I'd probably go for it.

As I understand, RDRAM has better throughput (ie. Gb/sec) than SDRAM although it is 16-bit wide???

Hmm... I think it's 32bit RDRAM and 64bit for DDR, but, yes, it's narrower, for whatever difference that really makes.  RDRAM seems to benchmark faster, but in most applications, it doesn't seem like enough difference to warrant the price.  (Of course, once again, prices may be different in your hemisphere)  Plus, rumor has it that Rambus is on its way out, as dual-channel DDR gets set to come in...  

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2003, 11:48:47 PM »
the  850 (latest) chipset is used in that MOBO but gigabyte have launched one that uses the 930 chipset. (i thnk)

Don`t have that much info about it, but  i remember reading rave reviews about both.
Having said that they are new products so they may have hidden problems...
i would go for the gigabyte ones as they have a good history of making sound products...

Rdram is better ..IMHO

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2003, 11:50:57 PM »
Why the P4T533-C when you can get the P4G8X?  It doesn't look like the P4T533 has 8X AGP which would be a draw back if you intend this machine to be a game machine.

Also, isn't ECC memory just memory with some kind of validity or CRC test?  Wouldn't it be faster if you had non-ECC?  However, ECC memory is better if you're gonna be overclocking as it will help improve systyem integrity as you push it closer and closer to the edge.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline blobrana

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2003, 11:57:43 PM »
The gigabyte AFAIK uses 8x

Oh well there is no question about it... the gigabyte is the better machine, hehe.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 12:06:26 AM »
dr.no

I recently bought a very nice P4 board based on the latest dual channel DDR chipset from intel. its granite bay.

Super Micro P4SAA

Its an incredible board.... heres some of its features.

Gigabit Ethernet
USB 2.0
AGP 8x.
Its a great board.. and its performance is definitly on par with rambus... in latency its much faster then rambus.... I really like the board..it was pricy... 225$

But its quality is great... I love supermicro boards always have... not an overclockers board but certinly a performance minded persons board.

ECC isnt more bandwidth at all its error checking memory... ECC is Error Checking and Correcting ? I believe... I know it isnt more bandwidth though.

I love my new P4 rig.... totally solid...

rambus is a total waste all around now that dual-channel DDR came out... dual channel DDR is just as fast really... go check out the E7205 chipset from Intel... codenamed 'granite bay' check what kinda benchmarks it gets... its killer dude

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2003, 12:38:11 AM »
This looks like the ultimate mobo  :-D
www.ocworkbench.com/2002/gigabyte/8inxp/8inxpp1.htm

Offline blobrana

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2003, 12:47:36 AM »
Superb!
but have a look at the gigabyte site first!
the GA-SINXP1394 has the 930 chipset...http://tw.giga-byte.com/

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2003, 12:50:40 AM »
Advice: Do some serious research on any motherboard you buy.  This probably isn't the best place for it either.  I wouldn't just look at features either, pay close attention to which north/south bridges are used and check for reliability.  ASUS is known for good reliability while Gygabyte is more questionable, but each board is different so you really have to do your homework.  Good luck!

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2003, 01:35:13 AM »
dr.no thats a fine board man... nothing wrong with it at all... good solid choice... although I dont particulerly care for the decorations gigabyte gives thier boards they always perform well.

my opinon of chips... Via is good for AMD(its all AMD has really)... and Intel is good for Intel... the VIA P4X chipset sucks... the SiS chipsets are questionable... my respect for SIS over the years has gone up but not much...
I'd go with that gigabyte board or another dual channel DDR board...

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2003, 02:52:12 AM »
my opinon of chips... Via is good for AMD(its all AMD has really)...
nVidia chipsets are popular and I think my next board will have one!

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2003, 02:54:55 AM »
yeah Nforce is great... forgot about that... heheh