Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recommended domain name & web space company?  (Read 2280 times)

Description:

Offline StevenJGoreTopic starter

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
Recommended domain name & web space company?
« on: January 15, 2004, 10:50:47 AM »
Hi,

I'm thinking of starting a CD32 & SX32-related website, and I've been looking to buy a domain name and some web space (not much, 50MB will be more than adequate). Trouble is, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of companies all trying to sell domain names and web space, and the majority of their websites look a bit gimmicky, ie. a bit too cheap, and are worded in a similar style to spam e-mails. So I was hoping people may be able to recommend (or warn me about) particular companies that they have had experience with or know something about? Anything would be better than me guessing! I'm based in the UK, but I'm guessing that I could use just about any company worldwide?

Thanks!
Steve.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
Re: Recommended domain name & web space company?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 11:10:17 AM »
www.ukreg.com are really cheap for the domain (but DON'T get their hosting deal; it sucks).

www.uh-hosting.co.uk are cheap and have MySQL and PHP etc.

So get a domain from UK reg, and a hosting package from uh-hosting. Theres a simple online interface at ukreg for changing the domain name servers.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline CannonFodder

• Show only replies by CannonFodder
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 11:30:38 AM »
UK2.net are retalively cheap.

also http://www.oneandone.co.uk are OK.
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 12:15:21 PM »
I've got a few domains registered with ukreg.com, too - they provide a handy little web-based interface to control e-mail and website forwarding.

Prices are pretty darn cheap too...
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 12:33:15 PM »
I recommend ditching the email and website forwarding and just transferring the domain over, if you can, though.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 12:46:15 PM »
Steve,

In regards to the domain name, try entering "CD32" into the box at directnic.com and it'll show you hundreds of possible variants for you to purchase.  DirectNIC isn't the cheapest Internet registrar out there, but they do have the easiest system to use and I've never had any trouble out of the 18 domains that I've registered through them (admittedly, I used to work for them, but I still like their system the best)

In regards to hosting, if you're going to put together a site like amiga.org, I highly recommend our current host, planetxoops.com.  They're cheap, they seem to know what they're doing, I love the admin interface they use (CPanel X) and they've been very helpful to us.  If you write them, mention us and they'll be more than happy to help you as well.

Wayne Hunt
Amiga.org

Offline Step

• Show only replies by Step
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 12:51:04 PM »
I can recommend Hasweb, affordable and reliable. They are a part of Hostdime and i think they set up domain names through them, but i fixed it elsewhere so i dont know if that part is as great. But it probably is.

:sealed: Think, before :ranting:

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 12:59:33 PM »
I use firevision
http://www.firevision.net/
They're quite cheap and very efficient

Regards
I like Amigas

Offline Psychobudgie

• Show only replies by Psychobudgie
    • http://www.psychobudgie.com
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 01:47:49 PM »
http://www.123reg.co.uk

Dirt cheap domain names, hosting and reliable.

Has one of the best control panels around for managing everything from forwarding to mx records.
www.psychobudgie.com

If you can\\\'t beat them, use a bigger stick!

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 01:52:50 PM »
I'm with xeron... Go for UK Reg in the UK. £7ish for a .co.uk for 2 years aint bad.
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 02:42:28 PM »

xeron wrote:
I recommend ditching the email and website forwarding and just transferring the domain over, if you can, though.

All depends, though - my webpages are on my ISP-based website; no extra charge on top of the ISP fees, (virtually) unlimited space and bandwidth.

I don't want or need (and can't afford!) to move my pages anywhere else, I just wanted to have my own domain name to point to them... which is what ukreg.com provides!
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 02:53:43 PM »
www.oneandone.co.uk are okay? are you mad? they are one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. I registered a domain with them shortly before christmas not realising how bad it is.

You cant use your own domain name servers for starters, you have to use there "webhop" style facility which sucks! also dont expect much help from them if you try to terminate your account.. I tried and have had to send 3 written letters to them so far, and still my domain sits with them, after asking over and over again they release it so I can transfer it to another registrar.

All in all oneandone is a complete waste of money...
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 03:08:13 PM »
My web site is hosted at Yahoo.  Probably not the cheapest out there but very reliable (one of the top 10 according to Netcraft) and the service seems good.

I've been Slashdotted twice and it didn't go down either time - and one of those was all pictures!

Email has gone a bit stupid at times but generally gets fixed quickly.
Try here.

For interactive stuff I think you'll need the "standard" but this may be overkill...

The domain registration is included in the price.

Offline StevenJGoreTopic starter

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 04:27:43 PM »

Steve,

In regards to the domain name, try entering "CD32" into the box at directnic.com and it'll show you hundreds of possible variants for you to purchase. DirectNIC isn't the cheapest Internet registrar out there, but they do have the easiest system to use and I've never had any trouble out of the 18 domains that I've registered through them (admittedly, I used to work for them, but I still like their system the best)

In regards to hosting, if you're going to put together a site like amiga.org, I highly recommend our current host, planetxoops.com. They're cheap, they seem to know what they're doing, I love the admin interface they use (CPanel X) and they've been very helpful to us. If you write them, mention us and they'll be more than happy to help you as well.

Wayne Hunt
Amiga.org

Courtesy of DirectNIC, I am now the proud owner of cd32.info! :-)

It cost me the princely sum of $15.00 (£8.23) which is cheaper than most UK-based sites (123-reg and ukreg were £8.99 and £9.00 ex-VAT respectively, making the final price about £10.50). DirectNIC's system seems very configurable, and I was impressed with their site in general.

Now I just need to find some web space, and I have already checked out most of the suggestions above... either uh-hosting.co.uk or planetxoops.com looking pretty favourable at the moment. I might even consider DirectNIC's own bannerless hosting, is it any good Wayne?

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Steve.

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 04:43:57 PM »
Hi,

Courtesy of DirectNIC, I am now the proud owner of cd32.info!

Bit late now but I use Oneandone.co.uk for my CDTV website and I cant moan but I also use Freenetname.co.uk who give you a free website and domain name, it is an ISP though so  you have to connect using it occationally if you want to keep your website. :-)

good luck with the CD32 site.