Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 818 times)

Description:

Offline slippymadfrogTopic starter

• Show only replies by slippymadfrog
Hello
« on: January 12, 2004, 04:58:53 AM »
I wanted to say how much I like this web site and it's community.  I think you are all doing a fine job of keeping the spirit of Amiga alive.  I am new here and, until recently, have not used any Amiga computer for over 10 years.  I recently bought some Amiga 4000 computers and Video Toasters from a defunct video production company with the intention to resell.  When I got them home and started to check them out...it all came back to me...Why I loved the Amiga so much so many years ago!  I remember so many great things and so little headaches.  I had an Amiga 500.  I composed music with a program called Sonix.  I had a Roland MT-32 attached through MIDI.  I played great games that had some real depth and things I just don't see anymore...or very rarely.  My favorites were Genghis Khan, Dragon Lord, Dungeon Master, Wayne Gretsky Hockey, Speedball and others I have forgotten. Of course I did the stuff that you do on any computer such as word processing.  I do not remember crashes, multitasking slow/shut downs and blue screens of death.  
I remember seeing the IBM type computers of my friends and at the computer lab at college and wondering why is this good?  Then I watched in horror as the Amiga shelf space at the local software shop became smaller and smaller.  I was dumbfounded by everyone jumping on the IBM type PC bandwagon and soon I was a statistic as well.  Why did this happen?  Why are good things crushed and inferior things succeed?  Where would the Amiga be today if it had been the dominant player?  Would it have become what Microsoft is today or would it have continued to innovate and move forward?  Good grief...it would not have had to move far just to keep up with today's standards.  I am still waiting to multitask.  Hmmm...maybe another gigabyte of ram will do the trick.

\\"Only two things are infinite, the
universe and human stupidity, and I\\\'m not sure about the former.\\"  - Albert  Einstein

Offline McNorris

• Show only replies by McNorris
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 06:18:09 AM »
Yeah, that shelfspace thing broke my heart. To the point that I gave up computers for 5 or 6 years and took up the guitar.

Oh, well. I sure the guitar got me way more girls in highschool. :-D

Got back into computer when I could afford a Macintosh, but like you a wound up here. I seldom use my Amiga, but I can't sell it. I have to have one around if for nothing else to talk about when I've had to many beers and want something to smile about (or cry about). I'm a real nut... I still have am Apple ][c+ w/a 1MB expansion board. Just wish I have more than that in my A600. :-?

What gets me are these cats around here with kick ass machines w/ 060 up. I didn't even know they existed till I came here. I just wish it didn't cost so much to order the stuff from the UK.
Where to get the news that matters...
http://www.theonion.com...

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 08:20:17 AM »

slippymadfrog wrote:
 I am still waiting to multitask.  Hmmm...maybe another gigabyte of ram will do the trick.

:lol:
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline Emufreak

• Show only replies by Emufreak
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 10:58:22 AM »
I do not remember crashes, multitasking slow/shut downs and blue screens of death.

I remember a lot of crashes. But I never had a system that just didn't work anymore one day and forced me to reinstall the whole system. I think I have this on windows  twice a year or so

Offline slippymadfrogTopic starter

• Show only replies by slippymadfrog
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 11:17:32 AM »
Yep.  I am probably remembering it better than it was.  It was my first time after all!

\\"Only two things are infinite, the
universe and human stupidity, and I\\\'m not sure about the former.\\"  - Albert  Einstein

Offline AccyD

• Show only replies by AccyD
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 07:36:41 PM »

slippymadfrog wrote:
I am still waiting to multitask.  Hmmm...maybe another gigabyte of ram will do the trick.

Talking about that I was using my works 2Ghz wintel laptop today, with 256MB of RAM it can't switch between programs if I'm writing a new Outlook message!!

And to think when I was on my 2MB A600 I used to be able to have Wordworth, DPaint open at the same time (and numeruos other small programs) and the damn thing would still keep going !

But yes you are probably right, we do tend to idealise our old memories, but hopefully OS4 will be good enough to tempt more people (including me) back into the fold. :-D

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 07:49:45 PM »
@ slippymadfrog,
Welcome to Amiga.org!  Enjoy your stay!!   :-D
Michael