Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Error when trying to copy files from Dopus  (Read 4903 times)

Description:

Offline sturulezTopic starter

• Show only replies by sturulez
Re: Error when trying to copy files from Dopus
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 19, 2021, 11:49:33 PM »
What is the best way to format the Games folder?

When I attempt to format it the same way I would to a format a floppy disk a Window pops up saying " Professional File System 3 v5

Press mouse to continue

I press ok and then it says Initializing disk but nothing happens and it doesn't format the Games partition.

What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:13:12 AM by sturulez »
A1200 - ACA 1221EC Accelerator, 32GB CF Card, SCSI CD-ROM, WB3.9, 3.1.4 ROM. PCMCIA 4GB transfer card, Indivision AGA MK2

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 06:49:00 AM »
If you can now copy files back to the partition, you've done nothing wrong.

If you can't, the partition needs a session with HDToolbox,

I would try adding then updating the filesystem, using the filesytem (updated version) that Castellan posted.

Then rebooting and trying to format the partition.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline sturulezTopic starter

• Show only replies by sturulez
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 08:41:34 AM »
I have downloaded pfs3aio.lha, where abouts do I place the file or how do I use it?

Many thanks
A1200 - ACA 1221EC Accelerator, 32GB CF Card, SCSI CD-ROM, WB3.9, 3.1.4 ROM. PCMCIA 4GB transfer card, Indivision AGA MK2

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 08:13:12 PM »
How did you prep your hard drive and install PFS initially? The procedure is virtually the same.
The summary version is:
1. Extract pfs3aio.lha
2. Copy pfs3aio to L:
3. Open HDToolbox
4. In the partitioning screen, choose Add/Update Filesystem
5. Select the existing PFS, choose Update
6. Select L:pfs3aio
7. Save changes and reboot.

The details will vary slightly depending on your OS version. There may be other things you need to adjust, e.g., DOSType, but hopefully not. Either way, it sounds like you're not very familiar with this kind of procedure, in which case you should make absolutely sure that you have a full drive backup in case something goes wrong.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 12:04:59 AM »
I have downloaded pfs3aio.lha, where abouts do I place the file or how do I use it?

Many thanks

This is a rather dated video of setting up a drive from scratch, more than what you are trying to do here;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckL5xYQjqLo

The relevant part of changing the filesystem on a drive, is about 3 minutes 20 seconds into the video.

The thing is that the old version of PFs filesystem on the drive is rather buggy with the 3.14 scsi.device (you don't have to do that bit, just the filesystem on the one partition).

This makes any data on that partition unreadable and you have to format the drive (which is what you are trying to do).

The filesystem written to a hard drive partition is like an interpretation and "method list" of code for doing things like copying and deleting files and formatting disks. If it becomes corrupt or obsolete with a version of scsi.device, then it has to be replaced.

Remember the limits, the limit is about 100GB for that particular filesystem. I doubt you'll need to change anything else but that filesystem to be able to go on and format the partition.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi