Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WB 1.3 Startup-Sequence issue - boot CLI not closing w/ app load  (Read 3652 times)

Description:

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
Re: WB 1.3 Startup-Sequence issue - boot CLI not closing w/ app load
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 31, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »
"alu" didn't run programs as if started through Workbench when there is no icon present for the program in question; that was meant as insurance to not launch programs which weren't designed to be run from Workbench.
Turned out to be no good idea...

This "insurance" is now removed.

New version on old place, http://amimedic.de/private/alu.lha
Aaaand, this worked. Many thanks! Good to have this util for other such needs that will come, surely.

I notice your nick and the author's first name are the same initial; you didn't write alu, did you?

Now I need to play with mclk and see if it's possible to disable the clock on the display and chose its position when opened. (I wonder if alu can set position of what its opening?).

Thanks, again.

bp

bp
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 07:24:35 PM by blakespot »
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Joloo

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »
I notice your nick and the author's first name are the same initial; you didn't write alu, did you?

No, in case you want to complain about "alu", yes, if you say "alu" is alright.  :)
Seriously, I am the author, while Matt_H is the moving spirit behind "alu".

Now I need to play with mclk and see if it's possible to disable the clock on the display and chose its position when opened.

If I am no mistaken, this isn't possible. When I visited the binary file, using a hex viewer, I couldn't spot any text that makes conclusions about customising. I am afraid all is rigid designed with no chance to personalise.

I wonder if alu can set position of what its opening?

Not for programs launched as if started through Workbench.
If "mclk" would support keywords for positioning, one may pass those keywords using the "ARGS" directive, but as said, "mclk" doesn't support it. Next, keywords for programs are only supported if programs get fired up as if typed in a CLI environment.
One the other hand, for programs launched as if started through Workbench, "alu" would have to create an icon file and place therein tool types, which the launched program can evaluate. It is possible to implement this, but I don't see the necessity for it, because a program that shall be launched by Workbench requires anyhow an icon file and then it should support tool types anyway.
"mclk" is an exception: It is a tool that can be launched by Workbench but its authors forgot to enclose an icon...

Regards

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 03:59:41 PM »
alu saves the day again!

@ blakespot

Joloo generously took on the task of creating it based on my issue in this thread.
Maybe you'll want to create your own 1.3 WBStartup drawer? ;)

Offline Joloo

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 07:06:35 PM »
Maybe you'll want to create your own 1.3 WBStartup drawer?  ;)

Do not lead me into temptation... - I could be tempted to realise this! :)

Everything for this is already there - "AltLoadWB" and "alu". The only question to be answered is: Accepts and especially frees the Workbench replied messages sent by application programs not launched through Workbench? No, no, no! I don't going to think about it, otherwise I'll again end on the hook... ;)