Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Little Computer People  (Read 1129 times)

Description:

Offline PentadTopic starter

Little Computer People
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:29:48 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a disk reset for Little Computer People? This would allow you to start from scratch where the LCP character moves into the virtual house. I know there is a few different ones for the C64 buy my searching did not turn up one for the Amiga version.

Thanks,
-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
Re: Little Computer People
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:02:19 PM »
It was said that every copy of the game had different character values for every serial number.... crazy! I had read something about changing the character values a long time ago - I think this is what you're looking for...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26006

Maybe something here too....

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=884

Hope it helps. :)
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline PentadTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:28:21 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;836669
It was said that every copy of the game had different character values for every serial number.... crazy! I had read something about changing the character values a long time ago - I think this is what you're looking for...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26006

Maybe something here too....

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=884

Hope it helps. :)

Thanks!! I was showing my kids the C64 version and then the Amiga version (which of course looks way better) and they were really impressed. I have to hand it to David Crane for coming up with such a unique idea.

We used one of the reset programs on the C64 version to start from scratch if you will. The Amiga looks great but I could not find a reset for that series. I'm still impressed by the amount of polish on the game given it's 1985 release. Will Wright said LCP was one of the inspirations for the Sims which I thought was pretty neat.

Thanks for the links!  I'm going to try to grab the rest tool.
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline olsen

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
Quote from: Pentad;836664
Does anyone know if there is a disk reset for Little Computer People? This would allow you to start from scratch where the LCP character moves into the virtual house. I know there is a few different ones for the C64 buy my searching did not turn up one for the Amiga version.

Thanks,
-P

The Amiga manual of the game does not mention a reset option. It only states that you need to sign into the "House-On-A-Disk" guestbook when it appears. It's possible that the parameters of the "simulation" were preset at manufacturing, or that it starts "empty" and the first run rolls the dice and changes the parameters. Also, signing in might roll the dice.

Hm... I just checked and unless the the "simulation" writes directly to the disk, bypassing the file system, there is just one file which appears to have been changed by starting the "simulation". All the other files bear a modification date stamp of January 7th, 1986 (yes, I have an original disk here, along with the box, which is however missing the "House-On-A-Disk deed registration" which the previous owner must have already sent to Activision back in the day). The file with the new date stamp is the program launched from the S:Startup-Sequence. Its name consists of the unlikely combination of three non-breaking spaces, which makes the S:Startup-Sequence appear to be empty. Could be that the program which starts the "simulation" is modified by starting it.

Since there are doubtlessly different versions of the "House-On-A-Disk" floating around, comparing the contents might provide a clue as to what's what.

Ah, I found something. The serial number mentioned on http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26006 is stored 900632 bytes into the ADF file. It's stored as an 8 character ASCII code followed by five upper case letters. On my disk it reads as 44300000NVTCA. There is also a file called "SN" in the "Misc" drawer which contains (guess what) "44300000NVTCA". This might just be what you were looking for. This serial number occurs exactly once on the entire disk, so you might just be able to change it by modifying the contents of the "Misc/SN" file in a text editor to suit your needs.

I checked another copy of the game, and the "SN" file contents are different. In this case I found "22910000NVTCA".
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:08:07 AM by olsen »