Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS noob. School me!  (Read 27055 times)

Description:

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS noob. School me!
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 06, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;774564
What kind of compatibility issues>?

Nothing major. Only some games that has been working less well than on a G4 machine.

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS noob. School me!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »
The iMac isn't supported. There is a proof of concept out there but due to some inherent technical problems they never released it. MorphOS Team doesn't want to add hardware support for machines that are expected to give them headaches.

My personal recommendations would be either a 2.3 GHz G5 (it's not water cooled) or a 1.67 GHz G4 Powerbook. The first for power, expandabilities and coolness :) The other for good support, portability and the fact that it's the fastest G4 machine out there, it got plenty of VRAM (up to 128 GB) and can be connected to a VGA screen.

My non-recommendation would be a Emac and an Efika. You will get tired of those quickly (The Efika is a cool little machine, but totally underpowered).

A Mac Mini silent upgrade is nice but often quite expensive compared to a G5 or Powerbook. Only get one if you lack space. And don't get the non silent upgrades because the have only 32 MB VRAM. A 2.0 GHz G5 is a good comprimise if you can't find a 2.3 GHz one. A Powermac G4 is also good, but there you need to make sure you have the right hardware (same with G5 also though). Ibooks are a little on the weak side so there are mostly good for portability (I think they have better keyboards than the Powerbooks).

So look at the list at the bottom, go for one of the two recommendations and you won't be sorry ;)

You can also read my blog that is geared to newbies for more info: http://morphosuser.wordpress.com.

http://www.morphos.de/hardware
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:04:10 PM by Yasu »