Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: E-UAE 0.8.29 with PPC JIT Public Beta 04 released (MorphOS)  (Read 4407 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
E-UAE 0.8.29 with PPC JIT Public Beta 04 released (MorphOS)
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:04:44 PM »
Fab has now uploaded E-UAE 0.8.29 with PPC JIT Public Beta 04 for MorphOS. The project is a fork of the E-UAE Amiga emulation project, where the goal is to implement Just-In-Time compiling for PowerPC processors.

Some of the differences between the original v0.8.29 and this version is that the x86 JIT has been removed completely, the PowerPC JIT is implemented from scratch (with some support functions reused from the x86 implementation), CyberGraphX overlay screen support (MorphOS only at the moment), G5 support (PowerPC 970/FX/GX/MP), added and changed configuration options, various fixes collected from other different forked releases of the original E-UAE, etc. For details, read both of the enclosed readme files.

Get it here: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/uae/E-UAE_0.8.29-PPCJITBETA04_MorphOS.lha (1.7MB)

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: E-UAE 0.8.29 with PPC JIT Public Beta 04 released (MorphOS)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »
Does this make this on par with winuae speedwise ? obviously on similar speed hardware
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 02:10:42 AM »
Oh wow with Cybergrafx overlay support it must be really fast. i'll have to check it out. i sure wish that morphos had a built in UAE implementation like Os4 does with "Run in Uae"
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;770333
i sure wish that morphos had a built in UAE implementation like Os4 does with "Run in Uae"

But it does, and it has been there for very long, before OS4 got a similar feature. Like Fab answered you over at MorphZone:

"It already exists with the supplied scripts/mimetypes for many years. You can either start adf games with a simple double click or run a given 68k binary inside a UAE instance (reusing already running UAE instance)."

And as klesterjr said:

"RuninUAE is not part of OS4 -- it's a third party contribution (same as Fab's scripts)."

So it's there alright, and has been for long! ;)

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

"It already exists with the supplied scripts/mimetypes for many years.”

There existed a few scripts and programs to do it before RunInUAE for AmigaOS4 as well, I guess the difference is that Chris has put bit more work in it.

“RuninUAE is not part of OS4“

You might say it is, yes its contribution, but your are asked if like to installed it or not during OS4.1 installation process.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:51:35 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »
@magnetic

"Oh wow with Cybergrafx overlay support it must be really fast.”

Overlay is mostly for playing back video, nice to have but not so useful when you think about it.
Most be playing videos 100 x times faster on MorphOS, maybe they do it make some benchmarks, I don't get way else.

On the other hand native Amiga graphics video output in UAE does not have Picasso96 support, it might be nice to have native graphic support with out depending on SDL for Picasso96 support.

Nice if some one fixed BsdSocket emulation, I think that's more useful.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:53:11 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
@JJ

"Does this make this on par with winuae speedwise ? obviously on similar speed hardware .”

Álmos Rajnai put a lot of work into that JIT compiler.

http://euaejit.blogspot.no/2014/05/ppcjitbeta03-switch-to-ludicrous-speed.html

I'm not sure WinUAE jit is that advanced, but as the name suggest its “Beta” and not finished.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;770357
@takemehomegrandma

“RuninUAE is not part of OS4“

You might say it is, yes its contribution, but you are asked if like to installed it or not during OS4.1 installation process.

If it's a contribution, then it's not part of the OS. The implication of this goes far beyond semantics.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;770358
@magnetic

Overlay is mostly for playing back video, nice to have but not so useful when you think about it.
Most be playing videos 100 x times faster on MorphOS, maybe they do it make some benchmarks, I don't get way else.

"Sour grapes"... :lol:

Overlay is isn't a video playback function per se (although it is often used in that context), overlay is great for "automatic" scaling (in the GPU) without using the CPU for it (thus freeing up CPU resources for more important stuff). Like showing a 320 x 200 Amiga screen on a modern high-res monitor in full screen.

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

"Sour grapes"

Not at all, I'm just question if its worth it.

“Overlay is isn't a video playback function per se (although it is often used in that context) “

I have not seen it used any ware else, well I have seen it in Basilisk II, but it does really work, because colors are YUV and not RGB, so all you get is green screen with horrible colors.

“Like showing a 320 x 200 Amiga screen on a moden high-res monitor in full screen.“

Sour up-scaling will be many time faster, but at cost of having to do color conversion.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:47:21 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;770386
@takemehomegrandma

"Sour grapes"

Not at all, I'm just question if its worth it.

“Overlay is isn't a video playback function per se (although it is often used in that context) “

I have not seen it used any ware else, well I have seen it in Basilisk II, but it does really work, because colors are YUV and not RGB, so all you get is green screen with horrible colors.

“Like showing a 320 x 200 Amiga screen on a moden high-res monitor in full screen.“

Sour up-scaling will be many time faster, but at cost of having to do color conversion.

No color conversion is needed. Radeon (and Voodoo and many other gfx cards) have a RGB overlay pixel format.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 02:26:33 AM »
This is great news from Fab regarding his work on implementing a newer version of the PPC JIT compiler for E-UAE, but please keep on topic everyone and not take this positive news in a direction that leads to arguments about other features or differences between AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS.  If you want to argue those differences, start your own thread and leave this thread to discuss the news about this latest work by Fab on PPC JIT.

Just trying to nip any arguments before they get started.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)