Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Questions about MorphOS and 68k compatibility  (Read 5254 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Questions about MorphOS and 68k compatibility
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 29, 2014, 02:04:57 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;769878
How does the 68k software install work? Do I decompress the archive and double click Install?

Different from application to application I would say. Chances are some other guy has tried it before you, so begin with searching morpzhone, this site, etc for tips and solutions to problems (if there are any) to the application you want to install. Sure, you could just try using the applications' supplied installer first, but as a general recommendation (and not MorphOS specific one) you should consider doing it manually instead, perhaps with some guidance from the installer script and a system monitoring tool. And sometimes you will need to tweak/alter some things for the program to work properly on a MorphOS system anyway, and no old amiga installer will know anything avout this. So search for info and ask questions at morphzone if you run into trouble. :)

Do I need 3.1 KS ROM or Workbench disks like AROS?

MorphOS is *not an emulator*, it's a complete Amiga OS that provides its own Amiga API's and Amiga environment fully native. So native "ROM's", "Workbench" (called Ambient in MorphOS), etc, etc is there already. :) Even the 68k Amiga binaries are recompiled into optimized fully native PPC binaries before they run. :)

Ofcourse you can also choose to run the UAE emulator on top of MorphOS, and then you will need those files you mentioned. But running those apps mentioned in this thread inside an UAE emulation box on top of MorphOS would work, but would give terrible performance, relative to running the apps natively on MorphOS...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 04:54:37 AM »
Cool!

How does the 68k software install work? Do I decompress the archive and double click Install? Do I need 3.1 KS ROM or Workbench disks like AROS?

Don't bother with decompressing. Just double click LhA archive and you can browse and double click Install instantly.

On MorphOS you can browse archives like they were already decompressed.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline pVC

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:43 AM »
Cool!

How does the 68k software install work? Do I decompress the archive and double click Install?

I actually haven't tried to use installers at all, but copying from your existing classic Amiga will work quite fine. I've just copied the wanted dirs from my Amiga backup to MorphOS (and looked if those programs have any assigns in user-startup etc).

Do I need 3.1 KS ROM or Workbench disks like AROS?

No. AROS runs 68k software under UAE, while MorphOS runs them transparently without any external emulator. MorphOS has Amiga compatible API, integrated 68k cpu emulation, and compatible system files etc. Even old Amiga libraries, devices, commands etc do work directly under MorphOS if you need them. Just copy them to SYS:Libs/ etc. Also 68k programs' AREXX ports do work under MorphOS opposite to AROS implementation where emulator cuts them out.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;769888
Typical, here I stand summoned with the list in my hand, in vain it seems. Too slow, must be getting old...

:nervous:

:)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"