Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming  (Read 8885 times)

Description:

Offline Beast96GT

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
Re: AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming
« Reply #59 from previous page: February 08, 2012, 04:59:37 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;679506
Speaking as the owner and director of a games company, I can tell you now there is no way I would consider writing just for AmigaOS unless someone was paying me up front, because the numbers are just far too small. If you can get me £100,000 I'll get the guys started on a small game if you like, that should cover about 12 months work (as we're a very small company so we're very cheap compared to most) so we should be able to get a nice little game up.

Of course for your £100,000 you'll probably see sales - if we do a REALLY successful game - of about £10,000.

You might have a hard time getting financing with those numbers.

Honestly, I'm as pro-Amiga as anyone but seriously, the days of the Amiga as a commercial gaming platform are long gone. Heck, I wouldn't even want to do a game on the PC, which is a billion times the bigger platform, because there's no point - you can get much more return on a 360 or PS3.
For gaming, consoles have taken over the market.

If you're referring to my posts, ultimately I think you're missing my points:
1.  There would be no "successful" game on the Amiga, and certainly no one would do anything with it looking for a return on their investment!  
2.  Any work would need to be done by hobbyists or indy development teams who are probably Amiga fans themselves.  Again, for no money.  I mean, we all do this as a hobby, right?  Anybody getting rich out there on the Amiga?  Heck, people still make hardware for this thing.
3.  Any game done on the Amiga would simply be for fun, and might need to be the result of an Amiga company offering a small incentive to just to get something on it's platform.  

People make games all the time because they're fun, not always for financial gain.  

... and I also worked as a programmer for 4 years in the games industry, so I do have experience.   However, I only have an Amiga 2500 and not the time!

-Chris

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
This whole, "pc gaming is a niche" nonsenese has been repeated for years (at least a decade) and yet nothing has changed. If anything pc gaming has increased in popularity in recent times. Repeating it over and over again, contrary to what some people appear to think doesnt make it true. Yes consoles command a large part f the market, but pc game sales are still strong enough that developers continue to support the platform, especially with games whose mechanics favor the platform.

Dont like pc gaming, fine, ignore it.
I enjoy my xb360, but its pretty humble compared to my pc gaming rig (which is connected to the same big screen 1080p tv, in the lounge with joypads, etc. ). The pc blows it away for audiovisuals.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:40:52 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
I lament.

Is this what we're left with? Now I knew that the brightest Amiga talent moved to more enriching platforms (technologically and financially), but I didn't know that all we were left with are laggards and people who seem to know squat about computers.

No offense to amigasociety, he seems like a genuinely nice guy, and maybe that's the problem, you're all too nice for your own good; because he's not the only one to throw these kinds of questions around.

FYI, a fast(-ish) CPU and AmigaOS 4.1u5 does not a platform make. Heck, it barely makes a computer. And this is the distinction everyone should be able to make before discussing anything else. The age of computers has passed, even platforms are waning in the face of ecosystems.

I thought maybe these people are being facetious in asking these kinds of questions, but some of them have already received their X1000-FC and others are awaiting delivery, and I doubt they'd dis a system they forked out ~US$3,000.00 for.

takemehomegrandma has covered the game aspect fairly well, though not every killer game has such a large team working on it, but the point still stands.

I'm not a mean-spiritted person but what I see saddens me and I can't help but rain on some o' y'all's parade. Even with the second core enabled, 3D drivers, Xena, and AmigaOS 4.2un, none of the commercial entities that have previously released games and/or productivity software for the PowerPC Mac will bother porting those products to the X1000, let alone write new stuff.

Those of you that have purchased or are planning to purchase an X1000 as a hobby computer, I know you're all nice people, y'all like the Amiga so you must be, I know you'll end up getting some satisfaction from your purchase, and my intention is not to undermine your decision. I plead that you all do a little reading into what it takes to have even a mildly successful platform; because if you wan't more from the companies that are brining you your favourite system, this way you'll be able to ask the right questions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:42:19 PM by agami »
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »
At the end of the day, like I said a year+ ago - a X1000 will not do a thing different from a lowly SAM 440.  Will it run Blender quicker?  Sure.  OS4 machines are fun little machines to putz around on, and until there's some sort of more varied software for them they will be not much more than a novelty.  You cannot even type up and save a native Office format grocery list on this $3000 machine, just like I can't on my SAM.  Even the $25 Raspberry Pi should be able to do that when it's released under Linux.
We need modern software for these machines something terrible.

So will the $150 PC in the corner, in fact the PC will run circles around the X1000.  If you bought a high end NG Amiga machine for serious rendering purposes, it may be enjoyable working with the machine, but your productivity is suffering.

I hope those who bought them enjoy them and bought them for the right reasons and love them for what they are - fun hobby systems.  I certainly overpaid for my SAM, but I do enjoy it and I am not silly enough to try and justify the $1000 I spent on it in comparison to what it can do compared to modern machines.  Truth be told, my iPad is more useful for modern computing and consumption.

Regarding gaming - I'm about to do something I've never done, and that's agree with Takemehomegrandma, as well as Agami.  The Amiga will never be a contender in gaming again, not in a market of $500 3ghz cheapo PC builds that can run BF2 and games like Skyrim.  Gaming, as Agami said is also becoming quite platform redundant with things like the iPad as well.  Never thought I would see the day where I could buy GTA 3 for my Ipad (for $5), and it's every bit as good as the original was and I can play it anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:27:08 PM by Duce »

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
Ah, this is something I read recently: How to Create a $1M App with a $10K Marketing Budget

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »
Quote from: persia;679522
66 million XBoxes @ USD 100 to 300.
55.5 million PS3s sold @ USD 300 to 400.
95 million Wii sold @ USD 100 to 300.

250 AmigaOne X1000s made. Priced at £1799, USD 3000.

If I'm a developer, which platform/s am I likely to develop for?

Fair comment. Wii has Xbox1 quality visuals at best though ;)

Firstly the PS3 has twin 6800GTX SLI type performance.  The 360 has ATI Radeon X1800/1850 type GPU. Both are old hat really. However the CPU is about the same as an AMD triple core Phenom so it isn't the CPU grunt as such either, and the G5 class PPC is not even close to the PPC performance of the IBM Xenon 3.2Ghz CPU in the 360 and even if it was OS4 can only use one core.

What IS different is the architecture of the consoles, the bus bandwidth is incredible for a start. The OS overhead is minuscule too and the hardware specification is locked. This means consoles are very efficiently utilized unlike Win7 gaming PCs.

What x1000 needed in the first place was a locked graphics card with top end specification, and then pay for full 3D driver development for that one and only 3D card specified.

As it stands the x1000 technically could never compete with even a £500 PC gaming wise, so it might get better games than SAM based machines but that's not really enough IMO.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;679833
Fair comment. Wii has Xbox1 quality visuals at best though ;)

Firstly the PS3 has twin 6800GTX SLI type performance.  The 360 has ATI Radeon X1800/1850 type GPU. Both are old hat really. However the CPU is about the same as an AMD triple core Phenom so it isn't the CPU grunt as such either, and the G5 class PPC is not even close to the PPC performance of the IBM Xenon 3.2Ghz CPU in the 360 and even if it was OS4 can only use one core.

What IS different is the architecture of the consoles, the bus bandwidth is incredible for a start. The OS overhead is minuscule too and the hardware specification is locked. This means consoles are very efficiently utilized unlike Win7 gaming PCs.

What x1000 needed in the first place was a locked graphics card with top end specification, and then pay for full 3D driver development for that one and only 3D card specified.

As it stands the x1000 technically could never compete with even a £500 PC gaming wise, so it might get better games than SAM based machines but that's not really enough IMO.

Actually, the G5 core is more capable then the cores in the Xenon.
The Xenon cores and the PPE core of the Cell BE (in the PS3) are both in order execution designs.
The G5 is an out of order processor and is significantly more powerful per clock cycle.
Current game machine processors, while clocked fast, are closer to G4s the their performance.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;679844
Actually, the G5 core is more capable then the cores in the Xenon.
The Xenon cores and the PPE core of the Cell BE (in the PS3) are both in order execution designs.
The G5 is an out of order processor and is significantly more powerful per clock cycle.
Current game machine processors, while clocked fast, are closer to G4s the their performance.

That doesn't really matter for running game code on a locked hardware reference design, only on a generic OS like Windows on a complete disaster of an open hardware specification. OS4 can only use one core of the G5 and it's cocked at half the speed too though.

But like I said, it's not just the CPU that makes games like Killzone 3 possible on PS3 for $300. Amiga 1000/500 used to have all the advantages of a console and a home computer which is why it was unique in the 80s.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2012, 01:50:21 AM »
That is *NOT* a computer!

*THIS* is a computer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3cmYJ4Pw4&t=30s

:lol:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)