Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming  (Read 8945 times)

Description:

Offline Beast96GT

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:36:07 AM »
Quote from: Piru;679391
The OS has to provide the necessary services for the games to utilize. Today that's DirectX 11.

No, that should be OpenGL.  OpenGL is a much more viable platform than ever before.  You see everything from the PS3 to the iPhone to the Android supporting OpenGL.   Only Microsoft supports DX11, yet they also support OGL.  DX11 is really only an option if you're a huge games publisher than can risk millions of dollars on a single Triple-A title.  Most of these games are failures, that's why you see most publishers in the red and most dev houses shutting down.  

It's about market size. No-one is going to bother with commercial games if the potential sales are counted in hundreds.

So you can forget any kind of commercial games.

Not at all.  While it's true that there is no company that will develop SOLELY for the Amiga looking for a profit, you do have companies that can develop cross-platform games that support the Amiga.  The other side is that hardware manufacturer's often fund game projects themselves to ignite interest in the platform.  How do you think there are launch titles?   There is also the fact that independent development has become so much more relevant--hobbyists and small studios can now market their games directly without having shelf-space at Gamestop.  

Also, I'd say it doesn't help that the actual 3D drivers are nowhere to be seen.

Now this is another matter.  If there is no graphics driver support, then the difficulty ramp raises considerably.

=Beast
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:59:44 AM by Beast96GT »

Offline Beast96GT

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »
Quote from: Piru;679488
OpenGL support is still quite spotty with the windows, I'm afraid. Traditionally DirectX has gotten much more attention from the driver developers. It however is nowhere near as bad as it was couple of years ago.

What do you mean by spotty?  I'd argue that the Khronos group has remained active in it's support for updated technology.  It has had to. There are numerous titles that are developed with the latest OpenGL, take for instance Dark Siders.  

Which titles? I don't see any.

Well currently, there are none!  I'm thinking of future titles.  You have to start somewhere.

Could be, but I can count recent commercial amiga titles with one hand. None of them are nowhere near interesting for me to buy.

The X1000 just came out, correct?  I'm simply stating that the thing can grow and develop a user base.  Like I said, it would probably require some incentive to do so, e.g. money.  But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Offline Beast96GT

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:59:37 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;679506
Speaking as the owner and director of a games company, I can tell you now there is no way I would consider writing just for AmigaOS unless someone was paying me up front, because the numbers are just far too small. If you can get me £100,000 I'll get the guys started on a small game if you like, that should cover about 12 months work (as we're a very small company so we're very cheap compared to most) so we should be able to get a nice little game up.

Of course for your £100,000 you'll probably see sales - if we do a REALLY successful game - of about £10,000.

You might have a hard time getting financing with those numbers.

Honestly, I'm as pro-Amiga as anyone but seriously, the days of the Amiga as a commercial gaming platform are long gone. Heck, I wouldn't even want to do a game on the PC, which is a billion times the bigger platform, because there's no point - you can get much more return on a 360 or PS3.
For gaming, consoles have taken over the market.

If you're referring to my posts, ultimately I think you're missing my points:
1.  There would be no "successful" game on the Amiga, and certainly no one would do anything with it looking for a return on their investment!  
2.  Any work would need to be done by hobbyists or indy development teams who are probably Amiga fans themselves.  Again, for no money.  I mean, we all do this as a hobby, right?  Anybody getting rich out there on the Amiga?  Heck, people still make hardware for this thing.
3.  Any game done on the Amiga would simply be for fun, and might need to be the result of an Amiga company offering a small incentive to just to get something on it's platform.  

People make games all the time because they're fun, not always for financial gain.  

... and I also worked as a programmer for 4 years in the games industry, so I do have experience.   However, I only have an Amiga 2500 and not the time!

-Chris