Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amount of MorphOS copies sold  (Read 29141 times)

Description:

Offline HammerD

Re: Amount of MorphOS copies sold
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;624609
I'm with you here.

MorphOS probably has 2x the amount of AROS and OS4 users combined (and I'm not saying that this graph reflects the amount of users, only registrations *sold*).

I can tell you right now that it doesn't.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 06:37:59 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624599
As its been increasing over time I expect it to continue.
Once Powerbook support is introduced, Amiga users looking for a laptop will have that option.
With that and possible Apple G5 support I can only see the user base increasing.

I think powerbook will render another bump in the graph (mostly because of additional sales to already established users, and because the joining of people from "other camps"), but I don't think a G5 would have as big effect. But maybe it will. ;)

But growth in sales doesn't come from growth of the total "market" (that is probably shrinking), but from already established users getting a second (or indeed a third) copy for some new type of HW they like (like me having a license or Pegasos2 and getting another for Mac Mini because that HW is so much better), as well as people from other "camps" either migrating or "getting both". I think the latter will increase! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 06:38:33 PM »
I think if you compare it to users of other hobbyist systems such as Haiku, RISC OS, Syllable etc, then it's not a bad figure at all.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;624609

If the numbers seems disappointing to some people, I think they may have had an unrealistic view of the overall "state of the nation". And it may have been because I had a more "realistic" view of the Amiga situation in 2011 (there is *no real market*) that I think this graph is *excellent*! ;)

And you can read out a change in the trend as well; like how *the slope* of the curve chanbes after the Mac support was introduced. Cheap and easily obtainable hardware (although still PPC)! :)

Yeah, I'm actually quite surprised that there are over 1,100 registered users.  That is quite a bit more than I would have expected.  And yeah, the jumps for each supported hardware added do show that there is interest there.  Even for an OS that costs more than the hardware it's running on.  It's very interesting.  I've ALMOST bought MorphOS a few different times, myself, even though I really don't have any idea what I'd use it for.

(And I do agree with a previous poster, and I also suspect there are more 68k users than all MOS, AOS4, and AROS combined.  (A lot of people isolated by distance, language, etc.))

Offline nicholas

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624613
I am a relatively new user, having only adopted MOS once Powermac support was introduced. I have several contacts that would like to use MorphOS to develop software under that I am working with to set up hardware. None of these people are former MorphOS licensees.

Simply stated, there are more MorphOS users than there are OS4 users or AROS users. And you yourself know why, its a better product.

However, I too believe there are more 68K users than stated, and there are a lot more former 68K Amiga users, so the potential base to grow from is there (as long as we don't have to count on Franko).

Why so negative Nicholas? I know you've used MorphOS and have stated you'd prefer it over AOS4.
Can't you tell by that graph that the rate of license purchases is up?
Just from that you can infer that there are new users as a stagnant user base would result in a relatively flat graph.

Well, it's like this I guess; when you expect the worst you can never be disappointed. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 06:40:42 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;624600
No way to count the cheap bastards that don't mind rebooting every 30 minutes.

:)

Indeed! :)

MorphOS is actually *very* usable in its unregistered form! 30 minutes isn't that short time, and reboot is extremely fast! (Edit: Wow, I'm really helping MorphOS sales now! ;))

And I still think there are some MorphOS 1.4 users out there as well! MorphOS 2.x isn't available for PowerUP, for example...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:50:35 PM by takemehomegrandma »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 06:44:33 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624623
Well, it's like this I guess; when you expect the worst you can never be disappointed. :)

I don't know, with the political system working the way it has in the US for the last several years, I expect the worst and then our politicians surprise me and figure out a way to exceed my worst expectations. So I'm perpetually disappointed.

But over the last year, the developments in MorphOS have been a pleasant surprise. I only hope the developers can introduce all that they've hinted at.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
Quote from: Ilwrath;624620
(And I do agree with a previous poster, and I also suspect there are more 68k users than all MOS, AOS4, and AROS combined.

*Real Users*, or collectors/enthusiasts/nostalgics/etc that do have the stuff, but spends all of their time talking about it on Amiga.org? ;) :p

MorphOS is usable for "real". It even has a web browser that beats the current Internet Explorer in some areas (like CSS3)! :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;624628
*Real Users*, or collectors/enthusiasts/nostalgics/etc that do have the stuff, but spends all of their time talking about it on Amiga.org? ;) :p

MorphOS is usable for "real". It even has a web browser that beats the current Internet Explorer in some areas (like CSS3)! :)

Yes, in that regard you've got a point. I miss Flash support under OWB, but its a pretty good browser. And MorphOS is modern enough to provide the functionality I need for everyday use.
I hope AOS4 has a similar level of utility (I wouldn't know personally).
AROS certainly has a lot of programs available, so one day it may be mature enough to interest me.

And I suppose you could try to use a legacy Amiga as your primary system, especially if you were into pain.
But I suspect most 68K owners are as you stated either collectors, retro hobbyists, or just nostalgic for the "old days".
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Norway

• Show only replies by Norway
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;624618
I think powerbook will render another bump in the graph (mostly because of additional sales to already established users, and because the joining of people from "other camps"), but I don't think a G5 would have as big effect. But maybe it will. ;)

But growth in sales doesn't come from growth of the total "market" (that is probably shrinking), but from already established users getting a second (or indeed a third) copy for some new type of HW they like (like me having a license or Pegasos2 and getting another for Mac Mini because that HW is so much better), as well as people from other "camps" either migrating or "getting both". I think the latter will increase! :)

I have MOS 2.0. But I am going to wait for last in the line of MOS hardware : The powerbook.
I dont want to throw away money on the mid range hardware\license.  
sorry to see this downgoing spiral

Offline nicholas

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
Quote from: Norway;624638
I have MOS 2.0. But I am going to wait for last in the line of MOS hardware : The powerbook.
I dont want to throw away money on the mid range hardware\license.  
sorry to see this downgoing spiral

Ditto.

Though I might fork out for a license on my wife's eMac if she decides she likes MorphOS enough.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »

I'd say both real users and collectors/retro nerds.  I mean, the original 68k models sold millions.  It's surely not unthinkable that 0.05% of them are still out there functioning every day.  Tucked away in remote areas, still running whatever little custom thing they were purchased for.  That's still going to be more than the couple thousand "modern" systems.

I don't disagree that MorphOS is much more usable as a desktop system.  But then again, there are a lot of systems a lot more usable than MorphOS, too.  When modernizing, why would someone stop at that particular point?

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »

Now now, no need to slate where your from, just because you decided to moved away ;)
Besides, I still use AOS in my day to day work, thanks very much!

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »
Retro Amiga works great as a retro video editing workstation.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;624600
No way to count the cheap bastards that don't mind rebooting every 30 minutes.

:)

Or the even cheaper bastards with hacked copies.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 25, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
Two things that will help sales...
Improved support for classic apps that run on OS4, but crash on MorphOS. I.E. OctaMED SS.

And or JIT for UAE.
Powerbook & wireless support.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs