Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 2.7 & MacMini display & boot questions  (Read 4850 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
MorphOS 2.7 & MacMini display & boot questions
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:03 PM »
Okay, so the time came to where I wanted to do a dual boot scenario. MorphOS is already installed and I read how you have to install OSX first. So I formatted DH1: and DH2: Couldn't touch DH0: for whatever reason.

Thing is, I can't install OSX at all and I have both the MacMini restore discs as well as a separate OSX retail disc. Holding 'c' in does not boot from the CD drive (my discs are good) and even pressing ALT at start up... the separate OSX disc never gets recognized and my MacMini restore disc crashes the system after it loads a bit. Says 'no device driver for...'

The computer is absolutely dead right now because when I go to reinstall MorphOS, I get a 'no signal' or 'signal not supported' error on 2 of my Acer monitors. Geez louise nothing can be easy ever. Acer monitor I want to use this with is an X223w.

What I'd really like to know is:

a) does MorphOS do something to DH0: or something in NVRAM or PRAM (I've cleared both) that does not allow my restore discs to work?

b) what blind keyboard presses can I make during a fresh install of MorphOS so the proper video adapter gets chosen so I can see what's on the friggin' screen?

Thanks for any help and yes, I've tried all the obvious early startup Apple bootup key combos to no avail.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:57:10 PM by save2600 »

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: MorphOS 2.7 & MacMini display & boot questions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:04 PM »
No, MorphOS doesn't somethimg strange to DH0. It is just a partitition formated with Mac HFS that usually doesn't get mounted on MorphOS boot process, but can manually mounted whenever you like.
thing that you cannot boot from CD anymore is a bit strange though. What happens when you don't boot from CD, but just start the computer manually, can you access the firmare (alt-cmd-o-f)?

Press "c" to boot off optical drive.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:58:06 PM by zylesea »

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:00:11 AM »
yes, I can get to the open firmware screen... something really strange just happened now while I was letting it sit idle on that screen. Screen got all fuzzy, as if there was RF interference and then went blank. No signal. WTF?? You think the video section of this Mini is going bad now?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:05:20 AM by save2600 »

Offline zylesea

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:10:10 AM »
Quote from: save2600;620745
yes, I can get to the open firmware screen...

Okay, then then hardware/gfx is not dead completely.
Can you access the hd from OF? I don't know the right command now (something like ls /pci/ide/ ).
 Do you have another monitor, maybe a CRT? On my Efika the default boot had problems with the right sync for the attached monitor (which was particularly difficult since it was an internal device).

I am also quite surprised that OS X refuses to boot off DVD. Doesn't it start with "c" pressed? Needs a few repetions sometims until catched...

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:21 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;620747
Okay, then then hardware is not dead completely.
Can you access the hd from OF? i don't know the right command now (something like ls /pci/ide/ ).
 Do you have another monitor, maybe a CRT? On my Efika the default boot had problems with the right Sync for teh attached monitor (which was particularly difficult since it was an internal device).

I am also quite surprised that OS X refuses to boot off DVD. Doesn't it start with "c" pressed? Needs a few repetions sometims until catched...

No, it doesn't start from the CD at all. Tries to and then crashes with that error.

I don't think the video section is dying, but this stupid Mini only has DVI output.  I do not have any CRT's with that type of input. I have a DVI to HDMI adapter, but my TV doesn't like that signal either. So MorphOS is not setup to display correctly on a modern LCD out of the box so to speak? Hmmm....

Offline zylesea

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »
If you boot MorphOS off CD is the drive still spinning once the monitor goes idle? generally MorphSo detects the monitor specs, but there can always be bad circumstances leading to a wrong detection. Do you have a manual of the monitor? Does it do 31.5 kHz? Many tfts start at frequency ranges a few kHz above.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:20:15 AM by zylesea »

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;620750
If you boot MorphOS off CD is the drive still spinning once the monitor goes idle?
Yeah, I can hear the laser doing its thing and I know MorphOS is loading off the CD. Just that the screen is blank.

I then press return, right arrow key, return, right arrow key - something like this and it sounds like the OS is being copied to the HD. I then restart the computer and I can hear the HD clicking away, as if it's loading MorphOS. Just can't see anything on the screen.

So... I just hooked the Mini up to my G5 iMac via Firewire and put the Mini into Target mode. I can now look into the machine from my iMac. I see the whole MorphOS installation as it looks like it should. Looking in the Monitors folder... I wonder if I could just delete the ones I don't need?

BTW: The display on the Mini just went out again while in Firewire Target mode.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:26:36 AM by save2600 »

Offline zylesea

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:27:11 AM »
Sounds really like wrong video sync. Do you have another DVI cable to test (maybe it's faulty)? And I think there are these passive DVI-VGA adaptors. If you have an old CRT...

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:47 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to try that next. Just bought a DVI-VGA adapter for $2 shipped. I also believe I have the wrong Mac Mini install discs  :(   Why my retail version of Jaguar (10.2) doesn't load is goofy and why MorphOS doesn't like my two LCD's is aggravating as hell too. It's problem after problem as usual over here!  :mad:

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:52:05 AM »
Might have solved part of your problem, at least: Mac Minis shipped with 10.3 or 10.4. It probably doesn't know what to do with 10.2.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:55:17 AM »
if you have the wrong oem install disks it certainly will NOT work
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 04:03:16 AM »
Quote from: save2600;620765
Yeah, I'm going to try that next. Just bought a DVI-VGA adapter for $2 shipped. I also believe I have the wrong Mac Mini install discs  :(   Why my retail version of Jaguar (10.2) doesn't load is goofy and why MorphOS doesn't like my two LCD's is aggravating as hell too. It's problem after problem as usual over here!  :mad:

The minimum support OSX version for the ppc mini is 10.3.7, so that probably explains why your 10.2 won't boot.
I personally kept my ppc minis on 10.4.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 06:09:08 AM »
Quote from: save2600;620738
Okay, so the time came to where I wanted to do a dual boot scenario. MorphOS is already installed and I read how you have to install OSX first.

That information is false !

If you left some HD-space unused under MorphOS it is no problem to install OSX afterwards (been there done that).
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline jacadcaps

• Show only replies by jacadcaps
    • http://dreamolers.meanmachine.ch
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 06:48:41 AM »
Quote from: save2600;620738

a) does MorphOS do something to DH0: or something in NVRAM or PRAM (I've cleared both) that does not allow my restore discs to work?

b) what blind keyboard presses can I make during a fresh install of MorphOS so the proper video adapter gets chosen so I can see what's on the friggin' screen?

a) No, DH0 is just a normal HFS partition. As for NVRAM/PRAM, MorphOS never touches these. You might want to erase them (cmd+alt+p+r afair) in case you're having odd hw problems - it sometimes helps.

b) If the timings go bad, try holding the ctrl key while booting - this forces 1024x768x60Hz which most (all?) monitors will display.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
Quote from: jacadcaps;620823

b) If the timings go bad, try holding the ctrl key while booting - this forces 1024x768x60Hz which most (all?) monitors will display.

Thanks, that did the trick! I'm sitting here with a list of early startup key presses and this little fun fact is not on there. :mad:

I know MacMini's didn't come with 10.2 or earlier, but how stupid is that you can't install a previous OS if you want? I also have OS9 on CD that the Mini refuses to recognize. Doesn't even bring an icon up in the Volume Select screen. Good things to know, so thanks Matt_H and Gazgod.

And Magnetic... yes, turns out I have Intel MacMini OEM discs over here - DOH!

Thanks all for your help. Back to some more poking around with MorphOS now. Once I get the proper Mac discs, I'll then look back into doing the dual boot boogie  :)